Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: December 2011 REACH Population Report
Posted By: General Vagueness <General.Vagueness@gmail.com>Date: 1/2/12 11:16 a.m.

In Response To: Re: December 2011 REACH Population Report (Revenant1988)

rearranged a little

: Yeah, it sucked when you would miss one of the weekends in H3 you wanted to
: play, but it would be back again.

I don't have FyreWulff's list handy, wasn't there one that only showed up four times? The point is that you could be waiting months or years, and then still miss it.

: True, but see, you could always play that game in customs, just like how it
: originated in H2. I personally do not think griff ball is what halo is all
: about. From a game play perspective, it has nothing to do with halo at
: all. What makes it like halo is the fact that someone came up with, tried
: it in customs, and got a bunch of friends to take it to the next level
: where it was played on the honor system, and it still worked.

It's Halo because you're playing a Halo game, if you don't mind me reverting to Captain Obvious for a minute.
Grifball is also more Haloish than a lot of other gametypes, it's just neutral assault with hammers and swords and infinite ammo. I think neutral assault has been around since the first game (albeit without the bomb), swords have been around the whole time and player-usable since Halo 2, a gravity hammer showed up in Halo 2 and they were usable in Halo 3, and infinite ammo goes back to Halo 2 (and of course infinite ammo and swords were available through mods on Halo PC).
I don't remember anything about Grifball going on an honor system. :?

: I like the way it was done in Halo 3 because it was a treat, something to
: look forward to as a nice change or diversion from everyday play. By
: giving these game types their own playlists, you've basically taken
: something that was dessert, and made it the main course. That's ok every
: now and then, but once you can have it all the time you begin to not want
: it anymore.

No one's making you play it, though. To me it's like being a kid and not being allowed to have ice cream except for dessert and on special occasions versus being an adult and getting to have ice cream whenever you dang well please. You still (almost definitely) aren't going to have it all the time, and if you do you'll encounter some problems, but having that freedom, well, it feels good, and sometimes you want ice cream on a Wednesday morning. I especially don't think a few people should be able to say "we want this to be a special thing, so you can't have it, you have to wait 5 weeks and then you get it for a weekend". If you think Grifball and Infection should be in some other playlist, together with other, shall we say, offbeat gametypes, I wouldn't have a big problem with that, but some people would.

You cannot fall off the floor.

Message Index

Replies:

December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 9:23 a.m.
     Re: December 2011 REACH Population Reportdavidfuchs 1/1/12 3:41 p.m.
           Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 4:29 p.m.
                 Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/1/12 5:14 p.m.
                       Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 7:04 p.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 9:06 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 9:47 p.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportHyokin 1/1/12 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 9:55 p.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 10:23 p.m.
                                               Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/2/12 6:28 a.m.
                                                     Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/2/12 10:48 a.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/1/12 10:15 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRevenant1988 1/1/12 10:17 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 10:30 p.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRevenant1988 1/1/12 10:15 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 10:43 p.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRevenant1988 1/2/12 9:59 a.m.
                                               Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/2/12 11:16 a.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/2/12 6:24 a.m.
                 Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRC Master 1/1/12 8:00 p.m.
                 Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportFyreWulff 1/1/12 9:09 p.m.
                       Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportOverdoziz 1/1/12 9:38 p.m.
                       Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportHyokin 1/1/12 9:48 p.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportFyreWulff 1/1/12 9:58 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRt. Hon. Wolzee 1/2/12 8:47 a.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportHyokin 1/2/12 11:31 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.