Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: December 2011 REACH Population Report
Posted By: Revenant1988 <dga1988@yahoo.com>Date: 1/1/12 10:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: December 2011 REACH Population Report (DEEP NNN)

[ Funny you put it that way though. Strictly speaking, Multiplayer Matchmaking
is not Halo to me. Halo's always been about the campaign for me.
Multiplayer is a diversion to allow me to play with HBO peeps. :) ]

This is how its always been for me. If I ever get to the point where MP is what drives me to halo, then that probably means something bad has happened to the universe or me personally.

:For Halo 2 and 3,
: campaign was the biggest sales generator. Few people who hang around Halo
: forums believe that though. They believe the sole sales generator for Halo
: is multiplayer.

I would agree with this statement to a point. When Halo started, Campaign was clearly the selling factor, but I don't think it will be like that forever, at least not if the competition is any indicator. I mean, shit, look at CoD; I know tons of people who dove straight into MP with it, they always do. Campaign is an after thought, or never played at all. The fact that I know * personally*, people who never, ever touch the campaign of that game, and that there are more just like them, makes me so, so angry. I literally get worked up about it, and I know I shouldn't but I do, because I worry sometimes that other developers are going to look at Infinity Ward and go "this is our competition- this is what they sell- this is what the consumer says it wants- we need to create something similar to it for it to sell". It makes business sense, but goddamn, it kills creativity. The consumer wants a product that they can get their $60 worth and MP definitely does that, and developers can get more funding with DLC but, -I don't know.... maybe I'm just romanticizing the good times I've had with single player games that were great, but it just really irks me that such a huge component of what games were/are could be swept under a rug like that. Sometimes, I'll hear someone talking about how they hate how bland CoD is, or how other games are trying to imitate it and I think to myself "Its your fault." By not telling the developers of these games that its kinda getting boring, you just stifle their creativity, and encourage more clones of it. I think that games lately are taking less risks. Maybe that comes from the publishers more than the developers, but I can't fault them for trying to make a product that sells well. I think that if more people played or at least tried all the aspects of a game when they buy it (MP, campaign, other features) they might be pleasantly surprised; but if they don't, I hope they are not surprised when the next CoD game they buy just has "Multi-player" and "options" as its only choices.

*I'm not saying that games created for MP are bad, MMORPG's, starcraft, etc, those advertise what they are and that's what define their respective genres.

**I know that most games are actually more fun when played with others. I'm referring to the gamers that don't step out of their 'shells" and try their options.

*** I've heard the saying that campaign is just practice for MP. I hate that saying.

**** I know I ranted a bit there, and I'm sorry but I had to write it out. To others, the above is just my opinion and in no way is meant to derail the initial discussion. It just stirred up a related opinion that I have on the subject that I needed to vent about.

: I was selling Living Dead short because I don't like the way it was done and
: my imagination does not scream that gametype when I think of Halo. If the
: infected were Flood character models, I may be more interested. For me, no
: MM infection gametype was ever better than the custom games we used to
: play in Halo 2. I still lean towards thinking customs is where it should
: still be.

I have days where I really like infection, and times when I really hate it. I too, get a little confused that games like infection and griff ball are more popular than team objective or invasion for instance.

Most days I feel that there are too many options in Halo MP... that there are too many sects and sub populations but then I come back to my senses. Hoppers like that were born out of the same creative options that I wrote about above. We need them. If people want to go play infection more than they want to play team objective then so be it, but please, (343) don't take away that hopper.

I miss the way the special game types where handled in Halo 3. The double XP lists for infection, griff ball, etc were pure genius to me. I could try something new, there was incentive to try it, and if I really liked it I could play it just to play it and if I didn't, I at least got XP from it if I stayed. I'd rather see a system like that in H4 where these types of games-within-the-game are rotated through on a schedule as opposed to trying to please everyone all the time.

Arena is a good example I think. It was a noble risk, and it seems that it kinda failed to take off. Hopefully things were learned from that. If we want to take population away from (for example) infection and move them to (for example) team objective, there needs to be an incentive to get players there. I don't exactly mean rewards, or credit or achievements, they just need to find a way to make the other playlists more fun!

: I am not convinced most people playing Living Dead do it because they like
: it. I am of the opinion they dislike other MM gametypes more but like Halo
: so much they'll settle for Living Dead. To me, it is devoid of any
: commitment.

Interesting way of putting it. I bet a few are like that, but not as many as you are probably thinking. They can go play Halo 3, or the few remaining vanilla reach playlists. So much of this stuff is subjective... open to interpretation. I guess its no different from radio. What is popular will play, and what's popular constantly changes. The one thing a station I listen to here locally does is polls and surveys once a month to ask listeners about the new and old stuff they play. Its a great program, and I participate every time it comes out because I feel like my opinion actually makes a difference in what plays or what new songs stay or go. I kinda wish 343 would do something like that. Some kind of optional survey about MM changes. Take that shit off the forums. Stop looking on just waypoint and other gaming sites for feed back only. You want to reach that player base that plays the game, but doesn't participate in greater community affairs? You want to know what they think? Make a quick survey pop up on the title screen every so often like you do with the MM update summaries. Give them 5,000 credits or something and make it simple like "did you like this change, did you not like this change, or would you like to see this?" and then if they want to go more in depth direct them to the website to take a detailed survey and offer written feed back.

I like where your head is at DEEP, and I like looking at the data you collect. Maybe 343 should offer you an analyst job hehe :D

Man. That was a long post.

My MK V costume

Message Index

Replies:

December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 9:23 a.m.
     Re: December 2011 REACH Population Reportdavidfuchs 1/1/12 3:41 p.m.
           Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 4:29 p.m.
                 Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/1/12 5:14 p.m.
                       Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 7:04 p.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 9:06 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 9:47 p.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportHyokin 1/1/12 9:50 p.m.
                                               Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/1/12 9:55 p.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 10:23 p.m.
                                               Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/2/12 6:28 a.m.
                                                     Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/2/12 10:48 a.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/1/12 10:15 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRevenant1988 1/1/12 10:17 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 10:30 p.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRevenant1988 1/1/12 10:15 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/1/12 10:43 p.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRevenant1988 1/2/12 9:59 a.m.
                                               Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportGeneral Vagueness 1/2/12 11:16 a.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportDEEP NNN 1/2/12 6:24 a.m.
                 Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRC Master 1/1/12 8:00 p.m.
                 Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportFyreWulff 1/1/12 9:09 p.m.
                       Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportOverdoziz 1/1/12 9:38 p.m.
                       Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportHyokin 1/1/12 9:48 p.m.
                             Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportFyreWulff 1/1/12 9:58 p.m.
                                   Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportRt. Hon. Wolzee 1/2/12 8:47 a.m.
                                         Re: December 2011 REACH Population ReportHyokin 1/2/12 11:31 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.