Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Captain Obvious Moment:
Posted By: Dagoonite <isitinawooden@gmail.com>Date: 7/31/11 4:18 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Captain Obvious Moment: (Quirel)

: Hmm...
: The thing is, the Phantom was implied to have been encountered long before
: Halo 3: ODST with Mickey's line "It's been years since I've run the
: simulations". That line still wouldn't make sense if the UNSC waited
: until it captured a working model.
: And if they waited until they captured a weapon to give it a designation,
: then there could be months or even years before the troops have a model
: number for it.

: So, yeah, there's a few holes in there like you said.

True. While I agree with you on that (Nice job using Mickey as an example, BTW) I want to play devil's advocate and mention that we don't really hear the troops ever use a designation, just the informal name. With the military oddities of the UNSC, I don't find it completely unbelievable that the average trooper doesn't know the proper designation of a Covenant vehicle. They're told the informal (propaganda) name and are done with it.

Which makes me wonder what the Covenant call their stuff. I honestly doubt that they'd call their own vehicles after evil spirits or the like.

: My questions are, what filled the Spectre's role before the Spectre was
: introduced?

Quite possibly nothing, or maybe the Prowler. To me, the Covenant never seemed to be big on multipurpose platforms or two things that fill the same basic job. (With the Brutes being the big exception to the rule.) One thought that I had at one point is that the Spectre is a direct response to Covenant adaptation. They see a design that works (the Worthog) and try to replicate it under their own aesthetics/philosophy. ("Obviously we aren't using human weapons. Look, it hovers and doesn't shoot bullets!")

: You're not insane until the voices start talking with British accents. German
: accents, if you're from the UK.

...Yeah, about that. I grew up watching stuff like Mulberry, Dr. Who, Waiting for God, and Are You Being Served? Add to that the fact that I've been fascinated with German cinema ever since I saw a back-to-back presentation of Metropolis and M (the German version starring Peter Lorrie that was one of the first to make use of leitmotif, not the Hollywood remake) and I pretty much have those two guaranteed.

I used to steal the Jack Handy line that I hear voices in my head, but because they speak Portuguese I don't know if they're telling me to do good or evil.

: Heh. No kidding.
: Though I still have yet to understand how the US handles its catalog system.
: I'm beginning to suspect that there's an old IBM random number generator
: stored away in the Pentagon for that very purpose.

Sadly, even after doing a quick check of my archives (AKA the bookshelf of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot) I can't find anything offhand about it. I probably have something on it around here somewhere, but not in my quick reference books. My knowledge base before the turn of the century and after WWII is rather scattershot, with no apparent rhyme or reason as to what I hold onto and what I don't. Too far back and I start to lose my feeling of modern, and anything beyond the world wars starts to lose the romance (for lack of a better term).

That's actually one of the reasons why I love the UNSC so much. Yes, it's modern and it has much of the design, tactics and feel that I find appealing, but before Reach I always had the feeling that I could come over a hill and find a trench that the soldiers had dug to give themselves cover from plasma.

Message Index

Replies:

Captain Obvious Moment:Quirel 7/31/11 10:23 a.m.
     That both cool and new to me. *NM*ElzarTheBam 7/31/11 10:34 a.m.
     Re: Captain Obvious Moment:General Vagueness 7/31/11 10:47 a.m.
           Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Quirel 7/31/11 10:53 a.m.
                 Re: Captain Obvious Moment:General Vagueness 7/31/11 1:22 p.m.
     Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Dagoonite 7/31/11 11:33 a.m.
           Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Quirel 7/31/11 2:09 p.m.
                 Re: Captain Obvious Moment:TDSpiral 7/31/11 2:27 p.m.
                       Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Leviathan 7/31/11 2:33 p.m.
                       Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 2:47 p.m.
                             Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Leviathan 7/31/11 3:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 4:11 p.m.
                                         Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Leviathan 7/31/11 4:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Quirel 7/31/11 4:19 p.m.
                                               Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 4:42 p.m.
                 Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Dagoonite 7/31/11 4:18 p.m.
                       Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 4:48 p.m.
                       Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Quirel 7/31/11 6:29 p.m.
     Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 1:32 p.m.
           Re: Captain Obvious Moment:General Vagueness 7/31/11 1:34 p.m.
                 Re: Captain Obvious Moment:FyreWulff 7/31/11 2:48 p.m.
                 Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 5:03 p.m.
           Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Quirel 7/31/11 2:02 p.m.
                 Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 2:33 p.m.
     Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Gravemind 7/31/11 4:44 p.m.
           Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/31/11 4:58 p.m.
                 Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Gravemind 7/31/11 7:48 p.m.
           Re: Captain Obvious Moment:Quirel 7/31/11 5:46 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.