Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Some really solid ideas
Posted By: SonGoharotto <SonGoharotto@gmail.com>Date: 6/19/11 9:22 p.m.

In Response To: There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :D (ncsuDuncan)

I agree with the overall assessment that unlimited use of AAs has drastically changed Halo gameplay. (Even I'm guilty of spamming the Armor Lock.) I definitely approve of placing them on the map like H3 Equipment. And setting Sprint as default is a great idea -- which I applied to my H:[R] rewrite, not to toot my own horn.

Personally, I'd address certain changes in your proposal a different way.

Jetpack
You didn't actually propose a fix for this, which is odd, given that it's almost as "broken" as Armor Lock. I propose that it gets a "fuel" meter broken into three stages. You can feather the thrust for some additional jump length or to soften a long fall, but the meter will only recharge up to a given stage.

Example
Say you're at the sniper spawn platform on Boardwalk and you have a Jetpack with a full meter. You can drop right down the "well" and feather the thrust to soften your fall without significantly depleting the meter; it recharges to stage three. But if you want to get back up, you'll need to deplete half of the entire meter. The Jetpack then recharges only up to stage two.

Judicious use of the Jetpack can act as supplemented mobility for the entire duration of the game, but if you want to reach that ideal sniping perch, you might have to drain the Jetpack's fuel entirely. In this way, the Jetpack is no longer an unlimited advantage for the one player who has it.

Active Camo
What they did with Active Camo in Reach still bugs me. I understand how the Radar Jammer effect is supposed to balance out being camouflaged, but AC is now almost useless for doing what it's meant for: sneaking around. The RJ effect means everyone immediately knows to be on the look out and the camo degradation means you're pretty easy to spot if you move faster than a snail's pace.

I propose one of two fixes: (A) Remove the RJ effect and leave the rest as is. You're invisible if you stand still, but moving or shooting can give you away. You still show up on Motion Trackers if you run around, but crouch-walking makes you almost completely undetectable, at the cost of being sloooow. It lasts until you run out of juice or turn it off manually. (B) Leave the RJ effect, but camo degradation is now more akin to the Arbiter's AC in H2. You can move around and remain more or less invisible, but attacking immediately ends the AC/RJ effect entirely. (Can also be turned off manually.)

Either way, it does not recharge -- you get one meter worth.

Armor Lock
I like the idea of adding the Power Drainer effect, but I would simply its function even more. The Armor Lock runs on your shields.

If you have full shields, you will be invincible for as long as it takes for the shield meter to deplete -- about as fast as if under prolonged AR fire. While active, the Armor Lock emits an EM field that drains the shields of anyone around you, as well as disabling vehicles. But this means your temporary invincibility comes at the cost of being more vulnerable after its over. Great for saving you from instant-kills like rockets or sticky grenades, but no more emerging from Armor Lock with full shields.

The AA meter itself is broken into three stages, like the Jetpack, but only to indicate how many times it can be used in quick succession. If used three times quickly, AL burns out and is deactivated.

Drop Shield
I like the idea of an overlapping shield nullifying an already existing one. But your adjustment of the visibility factor seems awkward. Why not make it more like it appears in the "Starry Night" commercial? The planes of the shield act like frosted glass, obscuring your view regardless of whether you're inside or outside. You'll know if someone is on the other side, but not have a clear view of, say, what weapon they're holding.

Grav Lift
Isn't this redundant? The Jetpack performs the same function and is far more useful. The only way I can see this being worthwhile is if you could approach the Grav Lift and get a prompt to deactivate/equip it for yourself.

Trip Mine
Oh my god, you made this so complicated. There's got to be a simpler way to revamp this.

Okay, let's make the Trip Mine a proper Proximity Mine. It now distinguishes between friend-or-foe, so no worries about betrayals. As soon as a foe enters its proximity, about the same range a drop shield covers, it issues a single warning beep (like a sticky grenade), then detonates. Something moving fast enough (or with the Evade AA) has a change to escape. But anything inside the proximity radius is a guaranteed kill.

Naturally, the mine can still be triggered if shot at.

Halo Reach Service Record

Message Index

Replies:

There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :DncsuDuncan 6/19/11 6:00 p.m.
     Re: There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :DLouis Wu 6/19/11 6:06 p.m.
           Re: There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :DncsuDuncan 6/19/11 6:15 p.m.
     Re: There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :DCody Miller 6/19/11 6:21 p.m.
           Re: There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :DncsuDuncan 6/19/11 6:59 p.m.
           Re: There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :Dmattroe 6/19/11 10:27 p.m.
     Great article.Gravemind 6/19/11 7:38 p.m.
     Re: There's a front page? And I'm ON IT? :DDEEP NNN 6/19/11 9:03 p.m.
     Some really solid ideasSonGoharotto 6/19/11 9:22 p.m.
           Re: Some really solid ideasGravemind 6/19/11 10:10 p.m.
     I'm in the minority...Dagoonite 6/19/11 9:35 p.m.
           Re: I'm in the minority...DEEP NNN 6/19/11 9:47 p.m.
                 Re: I'm in the minority...Dagoonite 6/19/11 10:05 p.m.
                       Re: I'm in the minority...ZackDark 6/19/11 10:47 p.m.
                             Re: I'm in the minority...Dagoonite 6/20/11 12:02 a.m.
                       Re: I'm in the minority...DEEP NNN 6/20/11 9:27 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.