Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Maw
Posted By: Jaydee <ultralisk_736@hotmail.com>Date: 5/30/11 11:12 p.m.

In Response To: Halo [R]Evolved - The Maw (SonGoharotto)

1. Oh my God, first section would be so badass, I think it was a good choice to add it. The scenery would be beautiful as one fights, I'd probably be distracted by the scale of what is happening. However, keep in mind that players have a thing against AI drivers. Paranoia would prevent them from allowing McKay to take the wheel, before they felt silly and let her drive.

2. Overall, I think you made a great decision by making the role of the surviving Marines of the PoA much more significant. The sections of the rest of the group in The Flood were interesting, but they still felt disconnected from what truly mattered. In this case, everyone is dying, and only a handful are left, but still willing to give everything for what is right.

3. The deaths of several characters:

-Have McKay survive for a second after the Warthog crash, and perhaps tell the Chief to just keep going? Otherwise, it's just a bit odd, from a canon perspective, that the Chief and Cortana would simply leave them be, without even a single comment or reaction. Her end when he downs a Phantom and primes a grenade, though, is rather adequate.

-I remember Zuka's end in the book. It was a good choice that you'd allow him a chance to draw a sword if he were to survive the loss of the shade. But again, perhaps a single, ironic comment? This jerk has been following you the whole story, might as well acknowledge his end...

4. I love the detail you put into the Covenant ships being obsessed with stopping you, going into what is clearly a suicide run to stop the inevitable. It helps people know that the Covenant are now desperate, and doing things that would clearly NOT be logical. It helps put Thel 'Vadamee's failure in perspective by the start of Halo 2.

The same could have been done for both the Flood and the Forerunner machinery. They know what you're trying to do, so they're dropping pods from the sky and sending even more Sentinels to your location to try to stop you. In the last level, it's an all-out fight between four sides, three of them agreeing with one thing: They do NOT want you to burn the ring.

5. On the legendary ending: Remember that not all players get to read the books, and as famous as the work you're basing off from is, you should be as friendly to them as to the people that have not. This will only leave the players unfamiliar with Halo canon scratching their heads, wondering where was Linda during H2 and H3. Similarly, for people that had not read canon, they do not know how did Johnson survive the battle, let alone survive being chewed on by the Flood. If we're accepting a rewrite of the events of Halo: CE, I wouldn't object to tying up loose ends that would need EU content to be explained. Think of how the LotR films did it to both save time and make for a fun trilogy. So, it's always good to find a middle ground for the people that know the canon and for those that do not. It'd help gather new customers.

....Well, I love this fandom and this universe, but no matter what you do and no matter how some changes may make sense, there'd still be people who say these changes would ruin Halo FOREVER. (... I'll show my way out.)

Another option, to clear out some questions and put the tease back in the ending, would've been having the Chief's longsword meeting with the surviving dropship, show the pod of Linda (Either let in the cutscene, or in a camera trick similar to the part of Buck pulling a bug out of a caveman in ODST, or of the Chief's pod in Reach), and have Johnson show up before it immediately fades to black... Not before pulling the legendary scene from First Strike: "Hell, Chief, It'll take more than a pack of walking alien horror-show freaks to take out Sergeant A. J. Johnson."

...Which will serve as an ironic quote, considering what we know happens in H3.

Overall, a great job in the writing. Shame it won't happen, but you did a great job, it was very enjoyable to read.

A Fool's Rants

Message Index

Replies:

Halo [R]Evolved - The MawSonGoharotto 5/30/11 8:31 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawZackDark 5/30/11 9:00 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawSonGoharotto 5/31/11 1:05 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawArithmomaniac 6/2/11 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawSonGoharotto 6/2/11 6:57 p.m.
     Good work!Arithmomaniac 5/30/11 9:16 p.m.
           Re: Good work!SonGoharotto 5/31/11 1:08 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawJaydee 5/30/11 11:12 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawSonGoharotto 5/31/11 1:39 p.m.
     Re: Miss TaRdavidfuchs 5/31/11 11:57 a.m.
           Re: Miss TaRSonGoharotto 5/31/11 1:43 p.m.
                 Re: Miss TaRdavidfuchs 5/31/11 2:08 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawCody Miller 5/31/11 2:08 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawSonGoharotto 5/31/11 4:04 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawCody Miller 5/31/11 5:10 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The Mawsithhead 6/2/11 1:59 a.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - The MawSonGoharotto 6/3/11 5:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.