Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Thank You from Bungie Animators
Posted By: Kermit <kermi7@mac.com>Date: 10/20/10 2:26 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Thank You from Bungie Animators (kapowaz)

: Completely. I think this was the moment for me where I realised just how big
: a difference decent mocap could make to a cutscene. It was one of the
: little details that shone through in the premiere trailer.

Even Six getting out of the warthog was awesome in the same way. I love all the cutscenes, and get ticked when a co-op partner skips them.

I enjoyed this post, but it reminds me of what painters first said about photography. Painters had a point (and still do). I've seen painted portraits that seemed to breathe and have more life than any photograph I've seen. You cannot deny, however, that photography is its own art form and, as such, generates responses unique to it.

As far as mocap goes, it's a tool used to capture motion (end of sentence). How it should be used, what techniques should be used with it, and whether the output achieves the desired result are all separate questions, and however they are answered, the effectiveness of it still depends on artfulness employed all along the way. I don't see the harm is using mocap to establish reference points. And if you argue that reference points stifle the expressiveness of the animator, well, you've just impugned the credibility of every painter who, in the name of art, recruited nude models. [Insert crude "points" joke here, kiddies.]

The use of mocap in Reach helped to make it what it is: a less stylized, grittier experience than previous Halo games. There are a few places where "faceovers" didn't work as well as they might have, and more than once they overdid the documentary-style, naturalistic scenes ("so-and-so's bum blocks the camera here because that's how it would be in real life!"). But to be fair, there are animated bits (like some of the in-game vehicle boarding) that seem worse than previous Halo games.

Mocap has its pitfalls, but for what my opinion is worth, the tool fit the job in Reach. It's a different style purposefully adopted to achieve a different effect.

Message Index

Replies:

Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsIbeechu 10/19/10 9:27 p.m.
     cool *NM*Hawaiian Pig 10/19/10 9:30 p.m.
     That's awesome, man! *NM*GrimBrother One 10/19/10 9:30 p.m.
     Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsAsian Inferno 10/19/10 9:32 p.m.
           Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsIbeechu 10/20/10 1:44 a.m.
                 ^ This post owns *NM*Hawaiian Pig 10/20/10 2:16 a.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsWayward Spleen™ 10/20/10 7:30 a.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsWildcard Tim 10/20/10 8:47 a.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorstln 10/20/10 9:00 a.m.
                       Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsIbeechu 10/20/10 2:18 p.m.
                             Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorstln 10/20/10 4:05 p.m.
                 Weird question inboundtopleybird 10/20/10 10:05 a.m.
                       Re: Weird question inboundIbeechu 10/20/10 1:59 p.m.
                             Re: Weird question inboundCody Miller 10/20/10 2:04 p.m.
                                   Re: Weird question inboundWayward Spleen™ 10/20/10 3:16 p.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorsmnemesis 10/20/10 11:04 a.m.
                       Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorskapowaz 10/20/10 11:08 a.m.
                             Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsKermit 10/20/10 2:26 p.m.
                 Excellend post. Now I want to buy Halo 3 again. *NM*Cullen 10/20/10 11:17 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.