Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Weird question inbound
Posted By: IbeechuDate: 10/20/10 1:59 p.m.

In Response To: Weird question inbound (topleybird)

: Great, informative post! Regarding the above, I've always wanted to ask an
: animator this: Do you move differently now than you did before you got
: really into animation? I mean, are you unusually aware of every movement
: you make, or can you keep your training and your own motion separate?

I think the thing that changes you the most is learning to observe other people. Animators have to be great observers of real life or you risk falling back into cliched poses and whatnot. You start to pick up on little quirks or habits people have and you store them away in a little filing cabinet. Maybe sometime down the road, you'll be able to use it. There's a shot in Up where Carl is about to sit down in his chair but, right before he does, he grabs his pantlegs and pulls them up. It's just a small tiny detail but the audience can connect with it, even if they're not aware of it. It's real to them. I've seen old people do that move loads of times, but of course I never thought about stuff like that until I got into animation. That's the kind of golden stuff that transcends animation from just a puppet getting from A to B into a much more alive art form.

Something I've really got to personally work on is becoming aware of my own movements. But animators do use video reference. Most of the time it's of themselves. We act out a shot, maybe a few times, and then watching the reference, you might see a little nuance you wouldn't have been aware of just by imagining the scene in your head. I've definitely picked up stuff when watching my own reference that I wasn't even aware of when I was actually performing it. But I guess that's what filming yourself is for, then.

Cliffs:
- Animators have to be observant of details and nuances in real life
- But I'm still a noob at being aware of my own mannerisms unless I watch myself in video reference

Message Index

Replies:

Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsIbeechu 10/19/10 9:27 p.m.
     cool *NM*Hawaiian Pig 10/19/10 9:30 p.m.
     That's awesome, man! *NM*GrimBrother One 10/19/10 9:30 p.m.
     Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsAsian Inferno 10/19/10 9:32 p.m.
           Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsIbeechu 10/20/10 1:44 a.m.
                 ^ This post owns *NM*Hawaiian Pig 10/20/10 2:16 a.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsWayward Spleen™ 10/20/10 7:30 a.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsWildcard Tim 10/20/10 8:47 a.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorstln 10/20/10 9:00 a.m.
                       Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsIbeechu 10/20/10 2:18 p.m.
                             Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorstln 10/20/10 4:05 p.m.
                 Weird question inboundtopleybird 10/20/10 10:05 a.m.
                       Re: Weird question inboundIbeechu 10/20/10 1:59 p.m.
                             Re: Weird question inboundCody Miller 10/20/10 2:04 p.m.
                                   Re: Weird question inboundWayward Spleen™ 10/20/10 3:16 p.m.
                 Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorsmnemesis 10/20/10 11:04 a.m.
                       Re: Thank You from Bungie Animatorskapowaz 10/20/10 11:08 a.m.
                             Re: Thank You from Bungie AnimatorsKermit 10/20/10 2:26 p.m.
                 Excellend post. Now I want to buy Halo 3 again. *NM*Cullen 10/20/10 11:17 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.