Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Tale
Posted By: Hawaiian PigDate: 10/1/10 7:06 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Tale (scarab)

Did you read my post?

I said the Arbiter does not take on the role of the leader of the rebellion in Halo 2. The only leadership role he has is in Halo 3.

7he 7ruth said, "he goes from passionate war-hero to disgraced soldier to symbolic figure to leader of a rebellion, throughout the whole game."

What he should have said was "throughout the entire series."

The point is that by using quotes of the Arbiter in Halo 2 to discount his leadership role is taking that quote out of context. He was never a significant leader in that game; any quote you could find would be unfairly decontextualized.

Your quote shows him reacting to the devastation of the Schism and continue to bemoan his "aloof" response. As if he is not duly fulfilling his leadership role. This is an unfair use of that quote as he has not yet assumed that role.

I instead contextualized that by saying it was more a line delivered with "sorrowful and bitter disdain" at the events he just witnessed.

In Halo 2, the Arbiter's development is centered upon his loss of faith. And that is well documented.

But for humour, here are some quotes that demonstrate his role has a prolific figure among the Elites during the rebellion; he's not the leader, in the same way the Chief isn't the leader of the Humans.

In Halo 3 he gets shuffled off to the sidelines narrative wise, but he still plays a prominent role in representing his faction.

Here he is proclaiming his political motivations.

Thel 'Vadam: "There was honor in our Covenant once...and there shall be again!"

Here he is being briefed by a high ranking elite on Floodgate

Thel 'Vadam: "My brothers, I fear you bring bad news."

Major Domo Elite: "High Charity has fallen, become a dreaded hive!

Thel 'Vadam: "And The Fleet? Has quarantine been broken?"

Major Domo Elite: "A single ship broke through our line, and we gave chase."

Thel 'Vadam: "But we had a fleet of hundreds!"

Major Domo Elite: "Alas brother, the Flood... It has evolved!"

Here he is taking part in a meeting of the most important players in the war

Lord Hood: "She could be corrupted for all we know. Her "solution" could be a Flood trap!"

Commander Keyes: "We should go through the Portal, find out for sure."

Lord Hood: "What we should do Commander, is understand - clearly - that this is humanity's final stand - here - at Earth. We go, we risk everything; every last man, woman and child. If we stand our ground, we might just have a chance."

Thel 'Vadam: "No. If your construct is wrong, then the Flood has already won."

Master Chief: "I'll find Cortana's solution. And I'll bring it back."

Lord Hood: "Earth...is all we have left. You trust Cortana that much?"

Master Chief: "Sir. Yes, sir."

Lord Hood: "This is either the best decision you've ever made or the worst. Hell if it is, Chief? I doubt I'll live long enough to find out which."

Here he is taking responsibility for their war.

Rtas 'Vadum: "We are aboard, Humans... and Elites; Will you not come with us, brother?"

Thel 'Vadam: "No. This is our fight. And I will see it finished."

Here he is leading even in peace time.

Rtas 'Vadum: "Things look different. Without the Prophets' lies clouding my vision. I would like to see our own world - to know that it is safe."

Thel Vadam: "Fear not. For we have made it so."

The Arbiter clenches his fist to his chest.

Rtas 'Vadum: "By your word, Arbiter." (clenches his fist to his chest likewise to Thel 'Vadam.)

The Arbiter takes a seat on the command chair, the one normally used by Rtas 'Vadum.

Thel 'Vadam: "Take us home."

So yes, he plays a prominent role, and it's fair to say that, "he goes from passionate war-hero to disgraced soldier to symbolic figure to leader," throughout the series.

Let's also be clear: the fact that he's not the leader of the rebellion does not change the point that he, as a character, has significant depth. That's been the entire point of this discussion and you seem to keep losing sight of it. He's no Tom Sawyer or Tom Joad, but he's deeper than pretty much any other character in the Halo games as it is.

Let's not also forget that very much changed for this character in Halo 2 alone, as I already demonstrated without having to lean on his leadership role. So that "Oh Reach is not a long enough game to show development" claim is bunk. Lot's of games do this.

I don't think you can honestly discount the fact that the Arbiter experienced change on account of the events that he endured.

It's fair to say he loses faith, and that's a development in character. He began as a devout zealot of the Prophets and ... well how far off his faith he falls is up for interpretation. But that's part of the fun of it. There's still no denying that there's some manner of loss of faith. He certainly doesn't believe in the Great Journey anymore, which was central to the Covenant religion, so who knows. Does he drop everything entirely? Does he re-align his beliefs? Maybe he doesn't know either.

Anyway, back to the main point:

I love Thorshammer, he's always so succinct, so I'll just use his words:

Saying Noble Six is as fleshed-out as the Arbiter just seems woefully wrong, at a factual level. I don't think that can truthfully be described as a matter of opinion.

Message Index

Replies:

Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/29/10 5:31 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleSamusaaron3 9/29/10 5:45 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talepadraig08 9/29/10 7:49 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talesithhead 9/29/10 8:23 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleThe BS Police 9/30/10 12:25 a.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/30/10 12:39 a.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talescarab 9/30/10 10:57 a.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talekapowaz 9/30/10 3:24 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleGeneral Vagueness 9/30/10 4:26 p.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/30/10 4:16 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleGeneral Vagueness 9/30/10 5:07 p.m.
                       Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleSl'askia 9/30/10 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talescarab 10/1/10 4:01 p.m.
                       Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 10/1/10 7:06 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.