Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Tale
Posted By: scarabDate: 10/1/10 4:01 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Tale (Hawaiian Pig)

: Ok, so a few things.

: Quote mining.

: The quote mining thing was in reference to your selection of quotes for your
: purpose. You say you brought the quotes up in context of his role as
: leader of the rebellion, but for the vast majority of the game, he is not
: a leader of any rebellion. In fact, I struggle to find his role as a
: leader assumed at any time before Halo 3. It's clear in Halo 3 how he
: assumes that role, how he takes responsibility for his Elites, but in Halo
: 2, he is mostly a participant. He starts off as merely a tool to do the
: will of the Prophets and, as the Schism occurs, he ends up among the
: scattered ranks of the Covenant.

: The schism just occurred, and if anything, his role in the alliance with
: the Humans propels him to his leadership role in Halo 3.

: A better example of the Arbiter as leader of the rebellion is his exchange
: with HJ at the end of Halo 3. In picking a quotes where he's not wearing
: his leader-of-the-rebellion hat (he hadn't had a chance to assume that
: role yet), you took some quotes out of context.

What?!? That is quite an accusation.

In this post 7he 7ruth said:

But he goes from passionate war-hero to disgraced soldier to symbolic figure to leader of a rebellion, throughout the whole game. There is character change, and lots of it.

I replied in this post:

And how was the Arbiter the leader? He was aloof. The only thing that even looked like an order was in this exchange.
And then I quoted the exchange.

How is that taking anything out of context? It is the only example of anything that could even remotely be construed as an order from A to an Elite rebelling against the Prophets. And I included the entire scene without any omissions. I even included the entirety of the previous scene where A said something to an Elite even thought it can't remotely be construed as an order.

I don't agree that the Elites rebelled but let's call it a rebellion to save time. The 'rebellion' could only have started after T tried to kill A or, since no other Elites witnessed that act, after the Brutes killed the Council members. I looked at the h2 story page and the only thing that looked like an order from A to any Elite after T tried to kill A in Quarantine Zone was the dialog that I quoted.

How on earth can you say that it was taken out of context?

According to the story page the only words spoken by the Arbiter in Uprising was

Murdered. By the Brutes.
There is no point in including that because its not an order. But I included it anyway because it was the only other words that I could see that A said to another Elite since the 'rebellion' began.

In The Great Journey his only words to an Elite were the ones that I quoted.

What context did I omit? Could you supply a missing context, that I failed to quote, that would show him giving orders to Elites? I had another look and I still can't find anything.

A was a player character and so took instructions from other characters, it is the lot of a player character. Looking back at those levels I still see him taking instructions from non player characters. I don't see him being a leader. I just don't see the context in the story pages that I am supposed to have omitted.

I could have quoted the entirety of every story page in 2 and could still only have highlighted I must get inside As an example of something that could be remotely construed as an order from A to an Elite once the 'rebellion' began.

So I think that your charge of taking quotes out of context is nonsense.

Message Index

Replies:

Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/29/10 5:31 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleSamusaaron3 9/29/10 5:45 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talepadraig08 9/29/10 7:49 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talesithhead 9/29/10 8:23 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleThe BS Police 9/30/10 12:25 a.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/30/10 12:39 a.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talescarab 9/30/10 10:57 a.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talekapowaz 9/30/10 3:24 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleGeneral Vagueness 9/30/10 4:26 p.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/30/10 4:16 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleGeneral Vagueness 9/30/10 5:07 p.m.
                       Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleSl'askia 9/30/10 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talescarab 10/1/10 4:01 p.m.
                       Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 10/1/10 7:06 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.