Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Tale
Posted By: General Vagueness <General.Vagueness@gmail.com>Date: 9/30/10 4:26 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Tale (kapowaz)

: You know, if you actually have an opinion about these characters and their
: motivations, you'd do well to speak it, rather than ask a hundred
: rhetorical questions. It makes for quite exhausting reading. Also it'd be
: great if you could learn how to selectively quote. Just a thought.

This might not work out so well, but I'll summarize it (I agree the quoting is... copious): we don't know what the Arbiter is thinking for most of what he does, we don't know why he's doing it, and some of it seems to be more, or just as much, for the player as it is for the story. Also he inferred different things about the character than HP did, and I think we established that neither is going to be wrong, although as you said that doesn't really lead anywhere (I figured the point was to show that you can read both of them in multiple ways).
As an aside, although I admit it can make a story seem different and be harder to get into, I don't think violating "show, don't tell" in and of itself can make a story worse.

You cannot fall off the floor.

Message Index

Replies:

Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/29/10 5:31 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleSamusaaron3 9/29/10 5:45 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talepadraig08 9/29/10 7:49 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talesithhead 9/29/10 8:23 p.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleThe BS Police 9/30/10 12:25 a.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/30/10 12:39 a.m.
     Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talescarab 9/30/10 10:57 a.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talekapowaz 9/30/10 3:24 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleGeneral Vagueness 9/30/10 4:26 p.m.
           Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 9/30/10 4:16 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleGeneral Vagueness 9/30/10 5:07 p.m.
                       Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleSl'askia 9/30/10 5:30 p.m.
                 Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's Talescarab 10/1/10 4:01 p.m.
                       Re: Character Development: An Arbiter's TaleHawaiian Pig 10/1/10 7:06 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.