Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Wait a week.
Posted By: BryDate: 4/24/08 9:35 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Wait a week. (PriorMarcus)

: I would argue the opposite actually, that Halo 3 is much easier to pick up
: and play in comparison to COD4. Despite that I don't think playing either
: makes someone simple minded, in fact, I think that's a pretty stupid thing
: to be said.

: And yes, I realise your quoting it, not saying it yourself.

I'm just more upset at the general tone of Gunluva's post... It basically sounds like the suggestion that Halo is just too complicated for people to understand is starting to get thrown around.
I'm personally a bit sad that FPS' seem to generate the sort of brand loyalty that makes people look down on other FPS titles and not appreciate them for their differences.

For the specific point that was raised, in all honestly, I don't see how anyone can say Halo 3, especially in matchmaking, has more player controlled customisation than Call of Duty 4.
I can't, for example, select from a choice of scopes on my weapon which all have their own trade-offs. Shall I use an ACOG scope on my M16 and turn it into a mini-sniper rifle on the more open levels, but suffer the trade-off that its much harder to aim at close-range, forcing me to shoot from the hip more often with the huge drop in accuracy that brings?
Or fit a silencer to make me invisible on the map when I fire, with the trade-off of reduced range and a huge drop in stopping power... So in turn should I switch to an AK-47 to off-set that reduction in power, but lose some accuracy?
Or shall I fit a grenade launcher and give up my number 1 perk of claymores?

Then there is the whole perk system itself which is all about customising your abilities to the way you want to play, rather than being forced to play the way someone else intended.

Halo 3 offers vastly more options in custom games and by a long way, but that's irrelevant to the vast majority of people who depend on matchmaking to play games.

IMO, they are both great games and a lot of fun. And surely that's what matters.
Though I have to admit, having spent extensive time with both, I have come to prefer COD4 in matchmaking which I personally find offers more freedom.
I don't have to dash off at the start of a game to the power weapons. I don't have to play gametypes like Team Swords, Team Snipers, Shotty Snipers etc if I don't want to.

For a simple bit of mindless fun in custom games, I'd play Halo 3 with friends.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of mindless fun.

For something a bit different though, I've had some COD4 private matches and they are actually anything but mindless shooters. With just a few people around the map, maybe its just me and me friends and how we play, but we sneak around everywhere having to be constantly alert and paranoid and that is a twisted kind of intense fun when we start crawling through bushes and keeping under cover.
And of course, the Kill Cam reveals all when you do die.

But there's my ramble on the old topic.
I can see why people would really look down on COD4 if they tried playing it the same way they play Halo.
And vice versa really.

Message Index

Replies:

Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays on topMasterChief2829 4/23/08 6:54 a.m.
     Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onmendicantbias00 4/23/08 7:03 a.m.
           Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onSPU7N1K 4/23/08 9:01 a.m.
                 Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onmendicantbias00 4/23/08 9:13 a.m.
                       Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onSep7imus [subnova] 4/23/08 9:33 a.m.
                             Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onLouis Wu 4/23/08 9:38 a.m.
                                   Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onnash--housewares 4/23/08 10:22 a.m.
                                         Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onDelicious Pie 4/23/08 1:29 p.m.
                             Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onWarp2 4/23/08 9:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onSep7imus [subnova] 4/23/08 9:49 a.m.
                       Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onSPU7N1K 4/23/08 9:50 a.m.
     Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onCocopjojo 4/23/08 7:04 a.m.
           Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onmendicantbias00 4/23/08 7:08 a.m.
                 That's what I said... 12 weeks ago. *NM*Cocopjojo 4/23/08 7:10 a.m.
                       COD4 just released new maps tooSchedonnardus 4/23/08 8:26 a.m.
                             Re: COD4 just released new maps tooPriorMarcus 4/23/08 8:35 a.m.
                             Re: COD4 just released new maps tooLouis Wu 4/23/08 8:56 a.m.
     I played COD4 for a bit. Here's what I think:[AMS] GreyThor 4/23/08 12:22 p.m.
           Re: I played COD4 for a bit. Here's what I think:sharpsniper99 4/23/08 1:30 p.m.
           Re: I played COD4 for a bit. Here's what I think:Peptuck 4/23/08 1:43 p.m.
                 Re: I played COD4 for a bit. Here's what I think:bluerunner 4/23/08 2:42 p.m.
     Wait a week.Spartan Jag 4/23/08 3:46 p.m.
           Re: Wait a week.Sep7imus [subnova] 4/23/08 4:00 p.m.
                 Re: Wait a week.PriorMarcus 4/23/08 4:06 p.m.
                       Re: Wait a week.gunluva 4/23/08 4:18 p.m.
                             Re: Wait a week.Bry 4/24/08 12:07 a.m.
                                   Re: Wait a week.PriorMarcus 4/24/08 5:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Wait a week.sharpsniper99 4/24/08 6:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Wait a week.Bry 4/24/08 9:35 a.m.
                                   You misunderstood. *NM*gunluva 4/24/08 5:14 p.m.
                       Re: Wait a week.Warp2 4/25/08 8:02 a.m.
           Re: Wait a week.ManKitten 4/23/08 4:27 p.m.
                 Re: Wait a week.Spartan Jag 4/23/08 5:13 p.m.
     Re: Despite the release of new maps CoD 4 stays onMa1agate 4/24/08 9:25 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.