Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Same Concepts, Different Characters *SP*
Posted By: topleybird at home <turtletrance@hotmail.com>Date: 11/2/07 9:13 a.m.

In Response To: Same Concepts, Different Characters *SP* (Narcogen)

: I don't think Staten and Jones are nearly boring enough to resort to that. If
: they were going to remake Marathon, they'd remake it. What they did was to
: reimagine another space opera that covers similar themes in a different
: way.

I agree--I was under the impression that there'd once been some intention of directly connecting the universes (I've forgotten now how much the Cortana Letters were even an accurate reflection of the Halo story at the time they were written), but apparently I'm wrong on that account. I do recall Matt Soell making a strange remark about the Great Devoid in Myth that made me think they were attempting to connect all their games in some oblique way--I suppose a bit like the Dark Tower series connecting much of Stephen King's stuff. Different universes, same, ah, multiverse. But yes, they have certain themes they like to explore over and over--I was able to guess much of the backstory of the Forerunners, Flood, and Precursors just by thinking about prior games--and when it comes down to it, that's probably all the connection there is.

The Marathon, Security-Officer-as-Big-Bang thing, you're right, it doesn't exactly solve anything or offer any meaningful context for the games. It's just a personal conceit I find amusing and/or interesting.

Message Index

Replies:

Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *SP*MutilatedMooCow 10/31/07 9:57 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *VVM 10/31/07 10:59 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Usul 11/1/07 1:00 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *bedlam 11/1/07 3:31 a.m.
                       Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *bedlam 11/1/07 3:34 a.m.
                             Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Cthulhu117 11/1/07 6:28 a.m.
                                   Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Dundradal 11/1/07 11:45 a.m.
           Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *reprobate 11/1/07 7:26 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Phoenix_9286 11/1/07 8:18 a.m.
                       Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *gspawn 11/1/07 9:41 a.m.
                             Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *topleybird at home 11/1/07 11:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *gspawn 11/1/07 3:25 p.m.
                                   Same Concepts, Different Characters *SP*Narcogen 11/2/07 2:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Same Concepts, Different Characters *SP*topleybird at home 11/2/07 9:13 a.m.
                 Makes perfect sense to me *NM*Sir J3lunt 11/1/07 11:12 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *DiscipleN2k 11/1/07 1:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.