Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *
Posted By: topleybird at home <turtletrance@hotmail.com>Date: 11/1/07 11:45 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation * (gspawn)

: I agree. But I at least hope the post you responded to was a joke.
: There's this thing called a "metaphor", whereby someone can say
: something literal, but mean something else. I think a lot of people have
: trouble with that. Like when someone from Bungie says "Master Chief
: IS the Security Officer", that's a metaphor. That doesn't mean
: they're the same person, it means they fulfill the same spot in the
: literature. The lone hero, guided by AIs, and so on.

I really don't think that's what they meant, though; I think that at some point in the development of Halo's story, they really WERE the same person, literally. In the final product it's clear they are not the same; the timelines don't work out in the slightest.

My own idea about the constant recurrences of the Marathon symbol, parallels in the story, etc., is that the Halo universe is what the Security Officer created when he escaped the closing of his own universe. The symbol keeps popping up the way the Fibonacci sequence or the golden ratio do in our own world; it's just somehow part of the fiber of existence. I don't think the Security Officer is running around in this universe so much as he was the seed that started their Big Bang, and so the Haloverse is shaped by his memories.

I don't think that's what Bungie is getting at either, though. I just like to think of it that way.

Message Index

Replies:

Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *SP*MutilatedMooCow 10/31/07 9:57 p.m.
     Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *VVM 10/31/07 10:59 p.m.
           Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Usul 11/1/07 1:00 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *bedlam 11/1/07 3:31 a.m.
                       Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *bedlam 11/1/07 3:34 a.m.
                             Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Cthulhu117 11/1/07 6:28 a.m.
                                   Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Dundradal 11/1/07 11:45 a.m.
           Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *reprobate 11/1/07 7:26 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *Phoenix_9286 11/1/07 8:18 a.m.
                       Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *gspawn 11/1/07 9:41 a.m.
                             Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *topleybird at home 11/1/07 11:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *gspawn 11/1/07 3:25 p.m.
                                   Same Concepts, Different Characters *SP*Narcogen 11/2/07 2:58 a.m.
                                         Re: Same Concepts, Different Characters *SP*topleybird at home 11/2/07 9:13 a.m.
                 Makes perfect sense to me *NM*Sir J3lunt 11/1/07 11:12 a.m.
                 Re: Game Informer: Marathon and Halo Speculation *DiscipleN2k 11/1/07 1:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.