Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Yay. we agree! :) (whole thread OT :)
Posted By: mad.max <madmax@paxnimbus.com>Date: 7/24/00 5:52 p.m.

In Response To: Re: You appear to have not understood (nexZ)

> I used this example because in most of my contact with
> international folk (mainly Germans and Austrians), they bash
> America because we have so many shootings here, and they
> criticize our gun control laws as being far too lenient. You
> bring up a good point about the tourism, though; for what it's
> worth I'm appalled to hear that myself. I've always thought
> Scotland seemed a truly beautiful country; I'd love to go there
> someday.

I criticise America's gun laws. IMHO, ONE shooting is too many (and hell, we had one up here too). But I'm not getting into that.

My MAIN point IS about the actual contact I've had with americans. Thank you for realising.

> I'm attacking the principle here. This branch of the thread
> started on someone's statement that it's acceptable to say
> something like "Americans suck, I hate Americans" in
> an article because it's going to be generally understood that
> you're not saying you hate each and every individual American as
> a person, and therefore the reader has no right to be offended.

> I argue that we DO have a right to be offended, and if the
> author meant something other than (quite plainly)
> "Americans suck, I hate Americans", he/she should
> qualify that statement. It's a simple enough thing to do, and
> saves plenty of time and anguish.

I admit, I haven't read the whole article (sorry Meg, I've been away in the highlands, and haven't caught up yet :) and I'm only here because CB pointed me at the thread. In an article, I wouldn't consider saying "Americans suck", but then I haven't read the article, and from what I HAVE read (here and there) I think Meg's comments are justified.

Love you too Meg :)

mad.max

Message Index

Replies:

Hi, Pallor!Forensic 7/24/00 7:44 a.m.
     I guess I am just an educated consumer....CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 9:39 a.m.
           Re: I guess I am just an educated consumer....Forensic 7/24/00 10:07 a.m.
                 hmmmCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 10:46 a.m.
                       Re: hmmmnexZ 7/24/00 12:13 p.m.
                             Re: hmmmSiliconDream =PN= 7/24/00 12:17 p.m.
                             I never used "all" nor did I use "sCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 12:43 p.m.
                                   Eh?nexZ 7/24/00 1:52 p.m.
                                         noCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 2:11 p.m.
                                               oh andCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 2:17 p.m.
                                               Let's test this theory!nexZ 7/24/00 2:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Let's test this theory!CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 3:24 p.m.
                                                     A few things...with a smile...Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 3:45 p.m.
                                                           Once again... eh?nexZ 7/24/00 4:28 p.m.
                                                           I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT!mad.max 7/24/00 5:26 p.m.
                                                                 Max you know I love you. [nt]Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 5:26 p.m.
                                         I totally agree with CBmad.max =PN= 7/24/00 3:34 p.m.
                                               Yo Dispatch...nexZ 7/24/00 4:38 p.m.
                                                     You are just wrong...CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 5:10 p.m.
                                                           Re: You are just wrong...nexZ 7/24/00 5:23 p.m.
                                                                 ...CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 5:49 p.m.
                                                     You appear to have not understoodRoger Maxwell 7/24/00 5:11 p.m.
                                                           Re: You appear to have not understoodnexZ 7/24/00 5:29 p.m.
                                                                 Yay. we agree! :) (whole thread OT :)mad.max 7/24/00 5:52 p.m.
                                                           lol! omg, what sort of thread is this?Maestro 7/24/00 5:36 p.m.
                                                     You lost me here. (NT)Dispatcher 7/26/00 11:01 p.m.
                                               Re: I totally agree with CBKazafn 7/26/00 12:52 p.m.
                 Next time Ill name them all...Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 11:18 a.m.
                       Arrgh...Forensic 7/24/00 11:38 a.m.
     Re: Hi, Pallor!Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 9:41 a.m.
     This disscussion has just been sucked! (vlt))Maestro 7/24/00 5:37 p.m.
           Sacked? (nt)David Oosha 7/24/00 7:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.