Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

You appear to have not understood
Posted By: Roger Maxwell <roger@wapmedialtd.com>Date: 7/24/00 5:11 p.m.

In Response To: Yo Dispatch... (nexZ)

> What I'm looking for instead is something that you won't have to
> qualify in the following manner (completely hypothetical with
> great liberties taken in creating dialogue):

> "Take a look at this. Some American bloke gunned up his
> class. This is, what, the third shooting this year over there?
> God, I hate Americans."

I wouldn't have said that at all. I may have thought it, but I *would* have said something along the lines of "You need stricter gun laws". I did say that I wasn't going to get into gun arguments, purely because they've been had so much in other places.

The fact is that most of my contact with Americans is through the media, or through watching them terroise my home country. And these things I dislike, immensely. It's always been said that you are an ambassador for your country when you are abroad, and 95% of the Americans I have come in contact with have been very, very bad ambassadors.

5% that I have actually talked to, are actually quite nice.

But my point remains, I have had limited exposure to the US, and the Americans, hence I must draw my opinions of them from what I know about them. Namely, they're always in the news for something bad, they clog up Scotland, and they annoy me.

> So I will certainly take issue with generalizing statements,
> ESPECIALLY when the author KNOWS he/she could have and should
> have qualified them, or refrained from saying them.

In fact, I hardly ever use such phrases on the web, it's generally when I talk to my friends at home, who have similar views, similar senses of humour and similar understanding of what I mean.

Basically, chill. You're taking this all way too literally. I have noticed a LOT of differences between Europeans and Americans (senses of humour, interpretation of text, etc) and this is prolly one of them. I've been using such terminology all my life, I'm not going to stop because you take it to heart.

mad.max

Message Index

Replies:

Hi, Pallor!Forensic 7/24/00 7:44 a.m.
     I guess I am just an educated consumer....CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 9:39 a.m.
           Re: I guess I am just an educated consumer....Forensic 7/24/00 10:07 a.m.
                 hmmmCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 10:46 a.m.
                       Re: hmmmnexZ 7/24/00 12:13 p.m.
                             Re: hmmmSiliconDream =PN= 7/24/00 12:17 p.m.
                             I never used "all" nor did I use "sCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 12:43 p.m.
                                   Eh?nexZ 7/24/00 1:52 p.m.
                                         noCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 2:11 p.m.
                                               oh andCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 2:17 p.m.
                                               Let's test this theory!nexZ 7/24/00 2:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Let's test this theory!CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 3:24 p.m.
                                                     A few things...with a smile...Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 3:45 p.m.
                                                           Once again... eh?nexZ 7/24/00 4:28 p.m.
                                                           I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT!mad.max 7/24/00 5:26 p.m.
                                                                 Max you know I love you. [nt]Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 5:26 p.m.
                                         I totally agree with CBmad.max =PN= 7/24/00 3:34 p.m.
                                               Yo Dispatch...nexZ 7/24/00 4:38 p.m.
                                                     You are just wrong...CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 5:10 p.m.
                                                           Re: You are just wrong...nexZ 7/24/00 5:23 p.m.
                                                                 ...CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 5:49 p.m.
                                                     You appear to have not understoodRoger Maxwell 7/24/00 5:11 p.m.
                                                           Re: You appear to have not understoodnexZ 7/24/00 5:29 p.m.
                                                                 Yay. we agree! :) (whole thread OT :)mad.max 7/24/00 5:52 p.m.
                                                           lol! omg, what sort of thread is this?Maestro 7/24/00 5:36 p.m.
                                                     You lost me here. (NT)Dispatcher 7/26/00 11:01 p.m.
                                               Re: I totally agree with CBKazafn 7/26/00 12:52 p.m.
                 Next time Ill name them all...Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 11:18 a.m.
                       Arrgh...Forensic 7/24/00 11:38 a.m.
     Re: Hi, Pallor!Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 9:41 a.m.
     This disscussion has just been sucked! (vlt))Maestro 7/24/00 5:37 p.m.
           Sacked? (nt)David Oosha 7/24/00 7:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.