glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I guess I am just an educated consumer....
Posted By: CyberBob =PN= <cyberbob@paxnimbus.com>Date: 7/24/00 9:39 a.m.

In Response To: Hi, Pallor! (Forensic)

No. She certainly did not think that they were nice, nor that people reacted rationally. It is not about betrayal, but about support. The second the deal was announced I noticed something very interesting. A part of the community went silent, another went suggesting to wait, but a third was yelling at Bungie for their decision.

Meg attacks the later part and I think she is right to do so, the article lacks though the other two parts of the community, on purpose I assume.

This third group started to attack Bungie, to yell at them and say that they would never buy Halo, because it is a Microsoft product now. Or they said that if Halo does not come for platform X (heh) they leave the community. IMHO those later people are full of BS. They were here because of the game, not because of the people they got to know and like in the community, nor they are here to be followers of the Banner of Bungie and its secret plans to take over M^Þ\[x- process transmission terminated]

I (and several other people who disagree with Bungie's decision) still are in the community because they like the people here and they like the people at Bungie, but are they (we) loyal Bungiefans?

I am not, well not more loyal than said former game company is to their fans. When I found out about it I felt like:

Oo, Bet you're wond'ring how I knew 'bout your plans to make me blue
With some other corp that you knew before?
Between the two corps, you know I love you more.
It took me by surprise, I must say, when I found out yesterday. Oo,

I heard it through the grapevine, not much longer would you be mine.
Oo, I heard it through the grapevine, and I'm just about to lose my mind.
Bungie, Bungie yeah.

You know that a man ain't supposed to cry, but these tears I can't hold inside.
Losin' you would end my life you see, 'cause you mean that much to me.
You could have told me yourself that you found someone else.
Instead,

Bungie, Bungie yeah.

People say you "Hear from what you see, na na not from what you hear."
I can't help bein' confused; if it's true, won't you tell me dear?
Do you plan to let me go for the other guy that you knew before? Oo,

Bungie, Bungie yeah.

(slightly modified to fit the situation)

The fact that they "had to over think their platform goals" did not help my feelings, nevertheless I would rather buy an xbox for Bungie than I would buy one without Bungie. Also I thought that Bungie could influence development on this console to make it actually a nice piece of Hardware.

I tend to see things negatively and I have no clue how the move to Redmont will impact the game or the company, but the people I know, Bungie fans and others, has impacted it much. I can also feel fro [?most] Bungie employees. A move across the continent is not easy, but I have faith in them [you]. I think they will become used to a city full of geeks. Abandoning Chicago must have been hard and they have my full support here.

Nevertheless I was pretty pissed off by some statements:

€ "they will help us aim our Microsoft mind control lasers"

Ouch. That one did really hurt, because I would not help them to use Microsoft product. Nevertheless I am all for aiming the Bungie mind control laser at Microsoft, maybe then they make a decent OS.

€ The FAQ states: "certain people have certain ideas they think we stand for because we never said anything on the contrary."

Another pain in the chest and I am not talking about platforms here. They said they will stay independent, they did not, so even if they say they are for some ideas they wont hold them. Well it hurt. Same goes with the rest of the FAQ and the letter to the community.

€ The letter

Nothing against a nice letter to the community and I bet Jason Jones thought about what to write for some time, but nevertheless IMHO it was empty. I would have appreciated the truth from him. Even if he stated his personal reasons why he likes the xbox, I would rather believed him than reading the letter. But that is me, I don't like BS (err Bullsmurf that is not Bungie Studios) and if the content would have hurt the community, it would not have been that bad, because those who whine already started to whine, those who are reasonable started to say reasonable things and those who are emotional, would have gotten over it.

€ MWNY

While I am happy that Alex announced Halo for Mac (and PC, but hey it was not a PC expo) he said something very disturbing about the people who have doubted it. Sorry, but I knew that they had not made a decision about platforms and then saying that it was not so is a little out of place, but that is just my opinion, though I would not trust Bungie Studios on anything they say, unless I have it in my hands.

Apart from that it hurt to see that they really go with Microsoft marketing here and do not release it simultaneously for both platforms. I do not want to get into development, but when the code base is developed for the xbox content should be made very easy for both. I really thought Bungie could go against the will of Fries here, apparently they did with the platform issue since Fries was speaking about "Fantasy Siege and Halo possible xbox exclusives." This is good to hear, because I think Bungie still has the possibility to influence decisions, if not make them.

Having said that I lost my trust in Bungie Studios, but not my faith in the people there and not into the community my friends.

Am I a Bungie fan?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I let you decide.

-CB the person who thinks that he either is a fan with too much knowlege about business to really be loyal, a fan who is so whiny that he cannot look in the mirror anymore, or an consumer with tendecies liking Bungie folks.

Message Index

Replies:

Hi, Pallor!Forensic 7/24/00 7:44 a.m.
     I guess I am just an educated consumer....CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 9:39 a.m.
           Re: I guess I am just an educated consumer....Forensic 7/24/00 10:07 a.m.
                 hmmmCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 10:46 a.m.
                       Re: hmmmnexZ 7/24/00 12:13 p.m.
                             Re: hmmmSiliconDream =PN= 7/24/00 12:17 p.m.
                             I never used "all" nor did I use "sCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 12:43 p.m.
                                   Eh?nexZ 7/24/00 1:52 p.m.
                                         noCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 2:11 p.m.
                                               oh andCyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 2:17 p.m.
                                               Let's test this theory!nexZ 7/24/00 2:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: Let's test this theory!CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 3:24 p.m.
                                                     A few things...with a smile...Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 3:45 p.m.
                                                           Once again... eh?nexZ 7/24/00 4:28 p.m.
                                                           I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT!mad.max 7/24/00 5:26 p.m.
                                                                 Max you know I love you. [nt]Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 5:26 p.m.
                                         I totally agree with CBmad.max =PN= 7/24/00 3:34 p.m.
                                               Yo Dispatch...nexZ 7/24/00 4:38 p.m.
                                                     You are just wrong...CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 5:10 p.m.
                                                           Re: You are just wrong...nexZ 7/24/00 5:23 p.m.
                                                                 ...CyberBob =PN= 7/24/00 5:49 p.m.
                                                     You appear to have not understoodRoger Maxwell 7/24/00 5:11 p.m.
                                                           Re: You appear to have not understoodnexZ 7/24/00 5:29 p.m.
                                                                 Yay. we agree! :) (whole thread OT :)mad.max 7/24/00 5:52 p.m.
                                                           lol! omg, what sort of thread is this?Maestro 7/24/00 5:36 p.m.
                                                     You lost me here. (NT)Dispatcher 7/26/00 11:01 p.m.
                                               Re: I totally agree with CBKazafn 7/26/00 12:52 p.m.
                 Next time Ill name them all...Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 11:18 a.m.
                       Arrgh...Forensic 7/24/00 11:38 a.m.
     Re: Hi, Pallor!Pallor =PN= 7/24/00 9:41 a.m.
     This disscussion has just been sucked! (vlt))Maestro 7/24/00 5:37 p.m.
           Sacked? (nt)David Oosha 7/24/00 7:18 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.