Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

thoughts from the gspawn
Posted By: gspawn <bob20407@hotmail.com>Date: 5/22/04 3:51 p.m.

In Response To: omfg filmz (vector40)

1-Don't take yourself so seriously. This is cool and all, but you're starting to sound cult-y about the whole thing. Gives me the gibblies.

2-There's a lot of room fo improvement here.
It's obvious that you've... uh... can... let off the gas and turn... but I'm used to seeing dogfights from gryphon and I happening. Skilled Banshee pilots are already doing things with these vehicles that shouldn't be done- we just don't call it dancing and we're too lazy to film anything. Pulling up into a stall is one thing... Stalling out to arc off a fuel rod shot to disable a vehicle while crushing the guy under you while trying to tumble back and re-engage the guy behind you... THAT's art. Did it once on Infinity. I felt accomplished at least.

If you're going to do aerial maneuvers, there are some things to consider. I'm sure you know some, but they are elements of a graceful and clean "performance".
1-The true pirouette (or, "the spin"). Gain altitude, stall, hold a side direction and spin, arc gracefully out.
2-The spiral. Going down or up, lift the nose while turning and leave behind perfect spiral trails. Can be done horizontally for more difficulty, but doesn't look as cool, so why bother?.
3-The arc turn. Should be a given, but you can't show the glory of a Banshee without it. Buzz your cameraman or use it between tricks. A sweeping turn to leave behind those beautiful trails is the true hallmark of Banshee maneuvering.
4-(3.5)-Nautilus- Do an arc turn but increase your rate until you start leaving a nautilus trail. Makes a perfect (segue?) into pirouettes or spirals.
5-Walk the dog- Every trick manual has to include this one. Pick an altitude (or get near the ground), point the nose up, and walk horizontally.
6-All other Air Force maneuvers. Banshees are especially good for the Immelman- do it right and the trails are beautiful.
7-Also consider what I call the "stop turn"... which is doing a hovering 180. You do that, but the beautiful thing is to then accelerate out of it. Sort of "look this way- now I go the other! ha!"
7-Spinning top. Plant your nose just above the ground, go vertical, and spin. More properly done with your nose fully on the ground, but I think you're looking for aerial maneuvers only. If you reverse heavily and time it, stop your rotation and lift the nose to do a graceful "head out of the sand" maneuver.
8-Do it backwards! 7 leads perfectly into another great stunt- anything backwards. Spiral forward to the ground, stop dead and hover to show the motion, then do a slow pirouette in reverse out of it. Apply this to any other chain of maneuvers.
9-Almost crash! A super-effective crowd pleaser. Do something like lock into a flat spin, wobble it a bit so it looks really viscious, and just drop. Before you hit the ground, nail it out into an arc turn. You'll hear applause in your own head.

It's obvious that you have some raw skills with some things, but without the true staples of showmanship like these you're not doing anything that can't be done with a large quantity of alcohol. I myself have slopped into these maneuvers (alcohol-free), but didn't think anything of them because they didn't look cool like the above do.

Skill + No Showmanship = Drunken flying
No skill + Showmanship = Boring
Skill + Showmanship = Airshow

And I think the quick mark of showmanship is that you need more of those trails flying around, and they need to be smoother. They really are a visual guide to what the viewer is seeing. When there's a bump in the trails, there was a bump in your handling (disregarding intentional stops in motion).

And what's your sensitivity setting? I think the Banshee can hold a pirrouette at 10 sensitivity, so that's exactly what I'd train with.

Halo 2 FAQ

Message Index

Replies:

omfg filmzvector40 5/22/04 6:22 a.m.
     Re: omfg filmzvector40 5/22/04 6:29 a.m.
           Amazing. Good Work. *NM* *NM*dwchief 5/22/04 6:34 a.m.
           Re: omfg filmztarehart 5/22/04 11:47 a.m.
                 Re: omfg filmztarehart 5/22/04 11:50 a.m.
     Re: omfg filmzretsamolah 5/22/04 9:38 a.m.
     Bah.MikeMan445 5/22/04 9:52 a.m.
     Re: omfg filmzAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/22/04 10:49 a.m.
     Nice... now try...KTI 5/22/04 12:00 p.m.
     Beautiful :)Crispy Spartan 5/22/04 12:01 p.m.
     Re: omfg filmzM.N.C 5/22/04 12:44 p.m.
     Looks more like Drunk Driving . . .serpx 5/22/04 12:46 p.m.
           Re: Looks more like Drunk Driving . . .geekd0ubt 5/22/04 2:19 p.m.
                 Re: Looks more like Drunk Driving . . .Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/22/04 2:27 p.m.
                       if...gspawn 5/22/04 2:58 p.m.
                             Re: if...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/22/04 5:06 p.m.
                                   Re: if...vector40 5/22/04 8:22 p.m.
                                         Banshee division tacticsAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/22/04 9:45 p.m.
     Re: omfg filmzSkeletor 5/22/04 2:27 p.m.
     wow!mrsmiley 5/22/04 3:50 p.m.
     thoughts from the gspawngspawn 5/22/04 3:51 p.m.
           Re: thoughts from the gspawnDjof 5/22/04 4:17 p.m.
                 Re: thoughts from the gspawnKTI 5/22/04 4:27 p.m.
                       Re: thoughts from the gspawnAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/22/04 4:46 p.m.
                             Re: thoughts from the gspawnKTI 5/22/04 4:57 p.m.
                                   Re: thoughts from the gspawnAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/22/04 5:16 p.m.
                                         Re: thoughts from the gspawnKTI 5/22/04 5:53 p.m.
                                               Re: thoughts from the gspawnLouis Wu 5/23/04 10:24 a.m.
                                                     Re: thoughts from the gspawnAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/23/04 11:38 a.m.
                                                           Re: thoughts from the gspawnKTI 5/24/04 12:37 a.m.
                                                                 Re: thoughts from the gspawnLouis Wu 5/24/04 5:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: thoughts from the gspawnAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/24/04 11:27 a.m.
           Re: thoughts from the gspawnvector40 5/22/04 8:52 p.m.
           Re: thoughts from the gspawnGolden Chief 5/23/04 8:41 a.m.
     Jeezuz.Richard 5/22/04 5:08 p.m.
     Re: omfg filmzJamirus99 5/22/04 10:53 p.m.
     Banshee skills just went up. *NM*Gre'Thor117 5/23/04 1:48 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.