/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

I think cyborg was a W'rk, now that I think on it
Posted By: Agent ShemDate: 7/11/02 6:19 a.m.

In Response To: Re: What exactly IS "their description?" (Mark Levin)

: According to the legends of a thousand worlds only a few of which are still
: habitable, the W'rkncacnter are those things that live in chaos, creating
: it around them.  At the beginning of the universe, they were unmistakable
: in their entities, but as time has gone by, their existence has become
: difficult to detect among the chaotic elements of the universe, hidden in
: stars, trapped in storms, forever looking along the event horizons of
: black holes.

: Yeah, that doesn't sound too much like the Marine. However, a fairly common
: concept in more fantastical sci-fi is the idea of a formless being being
: "forced" into a physical body in order to escape or conceal
: itself, so there's mileage left in this argument yet...

Well, it says W'rkncacnter live in chaos, creating it around them. Isn't that whatt we do as the Marine? Do we, as the player, ever create anything directly? It seems that all we do is disrupt orderly systems in order to put the orderly ranks of slaves out of order. A slave is useless if the master can't be over it, and that's what we're trying to do in M1.

In M2, again we're disrupting an old and well-ordered pfhor institution on Lo'whon. We do this by killing everything in sight (besides -- ahem -- Bob). That's an orderly operation? As we know, the Pfhor were incredibly ordered and ranked, and the player is alone, but extremely powerful. I would say god-like, or at least giant, because of the massive, and strictly chaotic, power we weild.

In MI, we're still trying to disrupt order, because order has led to the supposed destruction of the universe. We carry out salvation by "creating chaos" around us, and we become indistinguishable from the fate of the universe, and our creation of chaos can lead to both salvation of Durandal's butt, or his destruction. (I have the feeling that the player really never thinks about his own fate too much. Maybe the Jjaro will take him to "heaven" if he fails -- which he doesn't)

The description of the W'rk says nothing about what it looks like: We only assume they are amorphous or alien in shape. The description says that they are not easy to recognize because they are where? Trapped in the chaotic elements of the universe, nearly indistinguishable from them. Tycho missed us because we were indisinguishable from the chaos -- and that's a very metaphysical concept, not a literal one. Indistinguishable in the sense that we were integral and creative of the chaos, we made it around us.

I do agree with you, though, that we might be "possessed" of a W'rk. This does seem to be likely, especially in the light of the Myth series, where an extremely powerful person would be possessed of the "mantle of the Leveler," a being which created world-wide warfare to balance the population. And the W'rk could also be a title that describes a being that attains a certain status of "chaotic".

: The most interesting idea from this discussion is the idea that Thoth wanted
: to release the W'rk. Would he see order and chaos as 2 things to balance
: (and therefor to meddle with)?

Hey, I like the way you put that. Good and evil, as someone said a few posts up, are very relative and ambiguous concepts! This is an awesome forum.

Shemuel

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Agent Shem 7/10/02 3:37 p.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?M-Class 7/10/02 3:47 p.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Dan Aris 7/10/02 4:14 p.m.
           Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?darky 7/11/02 4:42 a.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Steve Levinson 7/10/02 4:39 p.m.
           What exactly IS "their description?" *NM*Don Pistola 7/10/02 7:01 p.m.
                 Re: What exactly IS "their description?"Mark Levin 7/11/02 12:23 a.m.
                       I think cyborg was a W'rk, now that I think on itAgent Shem 7/11/02 6:19 a.m.
     I never figured out the EGG.... *NM*Vid Boi 7/10/02 6:22 p.m.
           You may be on to something...;^) *NM*Agent Shem 7/11/02 3:33 p.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?archon 7/14/02 12:20 p.m.
           Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Agent Shem 7/14/02 12:31 p.m.
                 Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?archon 7/16/02 10:41 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.