/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?
Posted By: Agent ShemDate: 7/10/02 3:37 p.m.

I was reading an anthology of world myths today, and I happened upon Thoth, the god of the moon. The story was that in the beginning, the universe was convered in a black inky liquid, and there was an egg in the black ink. Thoth, who *was in a deep sleep* woke up, and started to sing. As he did, so, the egg broke, and the gods and goddesses came out and created the world.

(Thoth was the arbiter between the gods when they fought each other, and he weighed a persons soul against a feather after death. He was also a healer of the injured gods.)

In M2, we see Thoth wake up. The inky liquid is remenecent of space, and the egg could be either a star or a planet. Also, the Wrcanctr was not a single being, but many. ("They swam on its surface.") And when the player awakens Thoth, he really does start singing songs!

Now the contention comes in whether the "egg" in the myth translates to the star the W'rcancter are in, or some planet of the S'pht'Kr. I think that the S'pht'Kr are likely, because they recreate Lo'whon on another star, but what if, being "gods", the W'rcancter are symbolized instead?

Well, that would make one wonder if the W'rcancter are really rather good than evil? After all, if Thoth the computer was in control of the balance of opposing forces, he must be extremely powerful. So maybe he wanted the W'rcancter to come out, and everybody was mistaken about their true nature?

Remember that Durandal wanted escape from the universe, in order to become a god? He would see himself in the universe, which was ever-closing, as a growing creature in an egg which was becoming too small. But he wasn't destined to become that god. The W'rcancter were. And Thoth was making it happen, via the Trih Xeem. (What part does the player take in this drama? He seems caught between two opposing storms, and working for the wrong people all the time.)

That also makes me wonder if the PLAYER is a W'rcancter. They are described as beings of pure chaos. The cyborg marine is certainly a wreaker of havoc, and if he's going against the grain of the will of these gods, he ends up become a chaotic god himself??? After all, we see the demise of the most orderly empire in the universe, the Pfhor, soley at our hands. A tremendous amount of chaotic power.

Ok, now you can crucify me.

BTW, here's a related Myth-Marathon connection. In Myth 2, we are sent to retreve the Ibis crown. What was the Egyptian god Thoth's appearance? An ibis. See the correlation?

Agent Shemosis

PS Sorry about the spelling of strange alien names. I can't remember them very well, even now.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Agent Shem 7/10/02 3:37 p.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?M-Class 7/10/02 3:47 p.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Dan Aris 7/10/02 4:14 p.m.
           Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?darky 7/11/02 4:42 a.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Steve Levinson 7/10/02 4:39 p.m.
           What exactly IS "their description?" *NM*Don Pistola 7/10/02 7:01 p.m.
                 Re: What exactly IS "their description?"Mark Levin 7/11/02 12:23 a.m.
                       I think cyborg was a W'rk, now that I think on itAgent Shem 7/11/02 6:19 a.m.
     I never figured out the EGG.... *NM*Vid Boi 7/10/02 6:22 p.m.
           You may be on to something...;^) *NM*Agent Shem 7/11/02 3:33 p.m.
     Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?archon 7/14/02 12:20 p.m.
           Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?Agent Shem 7/14/02 12:31 p.m.
                 Re: What if W'rcanctr were GOOD?archon 7/16/02 10:41 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.