/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 12/18/20 2:23 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2 (Bob-B-Q)

: We already know what the arrival of
: the S'pht'Kr means for Tycho

No, we don't. I have explained that twice already. If you disagree with my point then respond to my point, don't just repeat your opinion ad nauseam. Show me where in any of the games we see what happens when a "free" Tycho and the S'pht'kr meet. Show me what happens in the game that would make the characters think "yeah, the S'pht'kr are 100% getting involved in this conflict between Tycho and Durandal, and they will 100% side against Tycho".

Keep in mind that the audience and the characters have a different understanding of what is happening.

: It's spelled trih xeem when we first learn of it on All Roads Lead To
: Sol... and likewise in the MI manual prologue, Aie Mak Sicur , You
: Think You're Big Time? and Aye Mak Sicur . The single alternate spelling
: on Confound Delivery is almost certainly a typographical error.

: I'm beginning to think you haven't done your homework.

I'm pretty sure it's also spelled trih'xeem or tri'xeem somewhere (with an apostrophe), but I can't remember.

But anyway, tell me. Is Yrro a typo? How about S'boath? Are those typos? Or is there an interview with Double Aught where they explicitly state that they deliberately spelled alien words differently to give the sense of a translator having difficulty putting alien words into human text? ... setting that interview aside... Or do the alt spellings underscore the motif of a malleable reality that is woven throughout the game?

But let's set all that aside for a moment. There is a type of pedantry you see on social media these days where someone makes a mild typo and egoists descend to correct the typo, presumably so they can have a fleeting sense of superiority over someone.

You have surpassed those pedants by being so petty that within a lengthy series of posts about a complicated story, you decided to vent your anger against me by focusing your attention on a tiny correction to my spelling of a make-believe word, from a non-existent, alien language, that is spelled in at least two different ways in a narrative where the writers admitted they spelled alien words in different ways to deliberately to convey a sense of alienness and in which these alternate spellings would also support other motifs taking place in the games. But let's pretend none of that is true...

Good job.

You did it.

You won.

You found a mistake I made that does not affect anything about the story or the analysis of the story in any way.

What now? Where do you go from here, champion, when you've attained such heights?

Honestly, I get it. I can see why Durandal is such a sarcastic jerk all the time... always being right and everyone always being against him. Hahahahahahah!!!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2 *LINK*Philtron 12/15/20 4:06 p.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Durandal_1707 12/15/20 6:44 p.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Philtron 12/15/20 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Durandal_1707 12/15/20 8:04 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Philtron 12/16/20 4:02 a.m.
                             Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Bob-B-Q 12/16/20 10:19 a.m.
                                   Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Philtron 12/16/20 1:37 p.m.
                                         Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Bob-B-Q 12/18/20 7:14 a.m.
                                               Fatum Iustum StultorumPhiltron 12/18/20 2:23 p.m.
                                                     Re: Fatum Iustum StultorumLion O Cyborg 12/19/20 11:58 a.m.
                                                           Kudos *NM*Philtron 12/20/20 9:29 a.m.
                                                     Try AgainBob-B-Q 12/20/20 9:10 a.m.
                                                           Re: Try AgainPhiltron 12/20/20 9:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Try AgainVikingBoyBilly 12/21/20 3:51 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Try AgainGodot 12/21/20 4:30 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Try AgainForrest of B.org 12/21/20 11:55 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Try AgainGodot 12/21/20 12:05 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Try AgainGodot 12/21/20 12:16 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Try AgainForrest of B.org 12/21/20 1:35 p.m.
                                                                             Re: trih xeemDocument 12/23/20 8:54 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: trih xeemGodot 12/23/20 10:26 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: trih xeemDocument 12/24/20 7:44 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: trih xeemxcalibur 12/25/20 6:19 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: trih xeempfhore 12/25/20 9:02 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: trih xeemVikingBoyBilly 12/26/20 5:15 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: trih xeemForrest of B.org 12/26/20 10:26 a.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Godot 12/15/20 11:03 p.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Godot 12/16/20 1:08 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Philtron 12/16/20 3:37 a.m.
                 Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Godot 12/16/20 4:42 a.m.
                       Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Philtron 12/16/20 1:30 p.m.
                             Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Godot 12/17/20 2:26 a.m.
     Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Bob-B-Q 12/16/20 7:37 a.m.
           Re: Infinity: the Story: Chapt 1, Part 2/2Philtron 12/16/20 1:28 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.