/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: how many people still use keyboard controls? *LINK*
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 9/11/20 12:32 p.m.

In Response To: Re: how many people still use keyboard controls? (Jabberwok)

: Not yet, but I assume there are changes relevant to that? I'll definitely
: give it a try.
You could say that.

I’ll put it this way: Before 1.3 beta 3, I found the mouse almost unusable. It’s extremely smooth now, though.

Just make sure you reduce your mouse sensitivity settings. A lot. I have them both at 0.25 and I sometimes think it still might be too high.

This isn’t the only major fix in 1.3.1 that makes it worth upgrading, by the way: there’s finally a 64-bit Windows build (if you’re on 64-bit Windows, go to the Aleph One Releases Page below and get the “AlephOne-20200904-Win64.zip” download), which means that the issues most players had with Eternal 1.2 should be completely gone (unless they’re still on 32-bit Windows for who knows what reason); it’s got some big improvements to the rendering engine; it’s got a fix for a nasty bug that caused the game to freeze if you played 15 levels in a row without dying, which finally makes it practical to develop a Maratroidvania (it may never be finished, since RyokoTK seems to have 4GOTTEN again, but Echoes of the Ashen shows us what’s possible: https://youtu.be/zjvbhDb-Hss); much better controls for music and sound effect volume; support for Marathon 1 scenarios like Trojan; and quite a few other features.

At this point, I may even drop support of 1.2.1 for future releases of games I develop, precisely because we’re likely to go at least partially into Maratroidvania territory for a few of them (Where Monsters Are in Dreams is likely to use this for a few levels, and I’m planning to use it for most of the second half of Chronicles). For the Tempus revamp, we may elect to specifically require 1.3.1, since it fixes the glow map wobble/pulsate on floors and ceilings, which will enable us to use our revamped teleporter texture with the same pulsate effect it had in the original releases without it looking colossally stupid.

In any case, on the whole, unless there’s some major reason not to, it’s generally advisable to use the latest stable releases of software, since it usually contains significant bug fixes, some of which can patch major security holes. (As an example, I used 1.3.0 to render some old Aleph One speedruns of M1, because one of its bugs results in it providing the correct timing for speedrun purposes, at the cost of using the wrong engine and thus introducing possible film desync in a few levels for which there weren’t any speedrun videos to render. This was a bug that was obviously worth fixing, but for the specific purpose of rendering old speedrun videos, it was fortuitous that it existed.)

In this case, Aleph One didn’t have any major security holes of which I’m aware, which makes upgrading less urgent, but other developers may make similar choices to mine in the future and stop supporting pre-1.3 releases. AFAIK, mods in some other FPS communities almost always specify the latest version of the game as a requirement. I don’t think this is a bad policy.

tl;dr: Yes, upgrade now, the mouse is way better, and so is a ton of other stuff. The feature list of each release is at the link below, and I’d recommend just getting 1.3.1 immediately, and specifically the “AlephOne-20200904-Win64.zip” build if you’re running 64-bit Windows.

Aleph One Releases Page

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/9/20 1:12 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Forrest of B.org 9/9/20 1:33 p.m.
           :D *NM*Jabberwok 9/9/20 1:38 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Bob-B-Q 9/9/20 1:58 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/9/20 3:20 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/10/20 10:28 a.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 12:27 p.m.
                 Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/10/20 1:12 p.m.
                       Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 2:14 p.m.
                             Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?VikingBoyBilly 9/21/20 2:56 a.m.
                 Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?treellama 9/11/20 10:26 a.m.
                       Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/11/20 11:59 a.m.
                             Re: how many people still use keyboard controls? *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/11/20 12:32 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/11/20 1:47 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?helviusrufus 9/15/20 1:13 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/16/20 3:59 a.m.
                                         Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?treellama 9/16/20 6:47 a.m.
                                               Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?ukimalefu 9/16/20 9:48 a.m.
                                                     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/17/20 2:43 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Aaron Freed 9/10/20 12:20 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 12:30 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?VikingBoyBilly 9/21/20 3:10 a.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?General-RADIX 9/14/20 12:37 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?xcalibur 9/22/20 7:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.