/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 9/10/20 10:28 a.m.

In Response To: how many people still use keyboard controls? (Jabberwok)

: Title. I think I used to use mouse for TCs like Rubicon, but these days I
: find I still prefer playing with keyboard for Marathon. I see a lot of
: videos using mouselook, so wondering if anyone else still keeps to the old
: ways, so to speak.

Always used mouse and keyboard from the start (with cursor keys as Solaris intended, not the crappy standardised WSAD I might add), since I started playing shooters via Half Life. Back then (I was about 4 or 5, 6 at most), I still used left and right for turning until I learned how to rebind keys. Marathon wasn't any different, though it was the first and only time I've used the mousewheel to switch weapons instead of using the number keys for hotkeys.

Some games are best played Keyboard only, like the original Pathways into Darkness (classic Mac & OSX), the Golden 6 Tomb Raider games (plus Core's TRAE if Ash's campaign is successful) and all PC 2D games that didn't originate on console, but apart from those it's gotta be mouse & keyboard for shooters, with a joystick or Xbox controller for both racing games and games that don't have comfortable keybind options e.g. most Sonic game PC ports, all console emulations or Bioshock Infinite.

Ross Scott put it best:

"If the controls feel like you're steering with your elbows, it can ruin almost any game. ...This doesn't mean I think mouse and keyboard is the end all perfect scheme: I can envision many better options. The keyboard doesn't have analogue control for movement. But going back to keyboard or gamepad aiming to me feels like playing basketball with one hand: it's harder and even if you get skilled at it you're always going to be at a constant disadvantage."

Personally, I agree with that quote but I think the controller aiming part only applies to older consoles like the Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PSP, Saturn and both Family Computers as they were lucky if they even had one thumbstick to work with instead of two.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/9/20 1:12 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Forrest of B.org 9/9/20 1:33 p.m.
           :D *NM*Jabberwok 9/9/20 1:38 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Bob-B-Q 9/9/20 1:58 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/9/20 3:20 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/10/20 10:28 a.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 12:27 p.m.
                 Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/10/20 1:12 p.m.
                       Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 2:14 p.m.
                             Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?VikingBoyBilly 9/21/20 2:56 a.m.
                 Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?treellama 9/11/20 10:26 a.m.
                       Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/11/20 11:59 a.m.
                             Re: how many people still use keyboard controls? *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/11/20 12:32 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/11/20 1:47 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?helviusrufus 9/15/20 1:13 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/16/20 3:59 a.m.
                                         Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?treellama 9/16/20 6:47 a.m.
                                               Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?ukimalefu 9/16/20 9:48 a.m.
                                                     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/17/20 2:43 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Aaron Freed 9/10/20 12:20 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 12:30 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?VikingBoyBilly 9/21/20 3:10 a.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?General-RADIX 9/14/20 12:37 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?xcalibur 9/22/20 7:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.