/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 9/10/20 12:20 p.m.

In Response To: how many people still use keyboard controls? (Jabberwok)

: Title. I think I used to use mouse for TCs like Rubicon, but these days I
: find I still prefer playing with keyboard for Marathon. I see a lot of
: videos using mouselook, so wondering if anyone else still keeps to the old
: ways, so to speak.

My rule of thumb has become that if I’m going to be shooting more often than I’m going to be dodging, I’ll use mouse and keyboard. If I’m primarily going to be punching and dodging, I’ll use keyboard only.

I actually have non-arbitrary reasoning for this: the movement for strafing around enemies is much more consistent on keyboard, because you have to keep picking up the mouse and putting it back down to maintain the motion necessary to turn the player. With keyboard, you can keep turning more consistently and predictably. However, with mouse, you can look around much more quickly and precisely than you can with the keyboard, which is essential if you’re going to be shooting a lot. (You could presumably use a trackball to be able to keep turning more consistently… but really, who wants to play Marathon with a trackball?)

I’ve developed this strategy after practising with mouse and keyboard a lot over the last several months and becoming… less terrible with them. I’d still consider myself *better*, overall, with keyboard, and I usually use it to play the vanilla solo games (though, when I finally get around to doing speedrun attempts, I’ll use the mouse for that) and most of the scenarios. However, there are certain games, such as Phoenix and Yuge, that are simply *better* with mouse and keyboard.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/9/20 1:12 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Forrest of B.org 9/9/20 1:33 p.m.
           :D *NM*Jabberwok 9/9/20 1:38 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Bob-B-Q 9/9/20 1:58 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/9/20 3:20 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/10/20 10:28 a.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 12:27 p.m.
                 Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/10/20 1:12 p.m.
                       Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 2:14 p.m.
                             Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?VikingBoyBilly 9/21/20 2:56 a.m.
                 Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?treellama 9/11/20 10:26 a.m.
                       Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/11/20 11:59 a.m.
                             Re: how many people still use keyboard controls? *LINK*Aaron Freed 9/11/20 12:32 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/11/20 1:47 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?helviusrufus 9/15/20 1:13 p.m.
                                   Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Lion O Cyborg 9/16/20 3:59 a.m.
                                         Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?treellama 9/16/20 6:47 a.m.
                                               Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?ukimalefu 9/16/20 9:48 a.m.
                                                     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/17/20 2:43 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Aaron Freed 9/10/20 12:20 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?Jabberwok 9/10/20 12:30 p.m.
           Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?VikingBoyBilly 9/21/20 3:10 a.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?General-RADIX 9/14/20 12:37 p.m.
     Re: how many people still use keyboard controls?xcalibur 9/22/20 7:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.