/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Just what IS needed for a project? (Very long!)
Posted By: RyokoTKDate: 1/26/07 9:53 p.m.

In Response To: On Projects and Passive Bystanders (MrHen)

I'm a mapper; that's almost all I do (I write, too... more on that later). And, having worked for a scenario (and having led another), I'm going to make a statement that I believe firmly, but most other people probably don't:

Mappers are the most important members of a scenario team.

The reason I state that is pretty simple. The other elements of a scenario are necessary, but look at instances where they were neglected:
-Plot: EVIL had an abysmal plot. It was horrible; plot holes and discontinuities all over the place, with the most ridiculous ending ever. And yet, EVIL boasts legendary renown.
-Textures: Again, EVIL. It mostly used Infinity textures, with a handful of "doodad" textures that didn't see much use, and a couple new regular ones. I actually like EVIL's visuals a lot, too; Parathymeter is one of the most visually stunning maps to date, and it's almost all done in Infinity textures.
-Weapons: Tempus Irae -- another scenario with legendary status -- uses Infinity weapons.
-Monsters: Tempus again; with the exception of the funky Juggernaut, it's all Infinity monsters, baby. And TI's battles are pretty fun, though definitely on the easy side.
-Sounds: The Gray Incident is my scenario, so I won't say much, but it uses all Infinity sounds, with two exceptions that come to mind (Crossbow reload and IMP firing). To me, sounds don't have much impact; as long as they don't suck and are applied decently, it's okay.

So, what's the point? Well, EVIL and Tempus are both among the parthenon of excellent scenarios (a pretty short list, really), and yet both of them aren't particularly innovative in any of those five fields (except EVIL's monsters... damn). However, what they both have is generally excellent level design. It is that, and that alone, that makes or breaks a level. Oh, sure, EVIL, TGI, and TI all have their own poor levels; I still adamantly argue that Code 42 (EVIL) is the worst level in any scenario, ever, and Wiping Off the Dirt and Glue (TI) and The Accolade (TGI) rank up there in bad levels. But, generally, it's good stuff, because the maps are fun to play.

As I said, level design is what makes or breaks a scenario. Rubicon and RX had pretty poor level design (IMO; please don't kill me). Visually stunning, yes. Breathtaking, sure. Fun? Not really. Too much wandering around, too much bumbling with switches and being lost in the beautiful architecture, and not enough advancing in the storyline and killing monsters. Even when you did kill monsters, it still lacked somewhere. I will never be at Chris Lund's level of aesthetic mapping, but I think that as far as playability is concerned, it's a different story.

So what does this have to do with anything? The key thing for me as far as project development goes is that the leader is not only a reputable mapper, but he's mapping for the project. This is for a few reasons:

1. Project leaders that aren't mappers don't always realize just how important fun level design is. They get too wrapped up in making levels adhere to the plot (more on this), or making sure that the GRAFX are most important, or stretching Lua to the furthest extent that it goes. They don't remember that, hey, for every moment the average player isn't killing bugs, that's time spent not having the most fun possible. Marathon 2 was fun; lots of monsters to kill. Graphics came second.

2. Making a map that fits snugly into a plot outline is a damn difficult task. I can attest to this, having done both the mapping and the plot work for TGI. I'd come up with a plot idea, and start to design the level, only to realize that the plot idea just won't work well. At that point, there are two options: change the level, or change the plot. Since the project leader basically always does plot work, if the leader has been mapping for a while, he'll realize that vague boundaries and flexibility are required as far as the plot is concerned. That way, the mapper can make a map that's fun while only having to stick to a general outline as opposed to a strict, detailed mission, and then the plot can conform itself to the map design. It works out pretty well that way.

3. I have a hard time working under a boss as far as Marathon development is concerned. Maybe that's just me, and maybe it's my superiority complex talking, but since I feel that I behold the most critical job of the team, I don't really jive well with someone pushing me around without really being on the front lines. As a mapper, I have a very hard time telling someone that made a map for me that it sucks. Even if it does, it's hard, because solo maps take a lot of damn work, and it's hard to fix them if they're broken. If the leader is a fellow mapper, that's two advantages for me: one, I know what the leader wants, and I can at least attempt to mimic some of the main design themes therein. Two, he's not as likely to be bossing me around, and then I can just get on with my work. And if I have any issues with where the leader wants me to go, I know I can actually address them, since the leader is a mapper, so he at least understands where I'm coming from.

So, basically, any project has to be led by a reputable mapper; from there, the details work themselves out. For instance, if goran comes up to me and says "I want to make a project and I want you to map for me," then I know I can count on goran to follow through with his idea to some degree. (In fact, he has asked me to work on a project of his, and it did come through; see Xmas Icecave.) That's because goran is a credible mapper; he knows what to expect out of a fellow mapper, and I know what to expect out of him as a leader and mapper. Of course, a positive history is necessary; if Mr. McNoobstein tries to draft me in, and his maps are complete disasters, well, I'm not going to work for him; he's probably not well-versed enough in the game to have high standards.

As for realistic projects, well, again, most of the people that I can trust with a project in the community are already familiar with a reasonable level of sanity as far as ambition goes. Nobody that I'd work for would throw out some crazy idea like a 100-level scenario, and for good reason. As for neat ideas: what more do you really need than killing stuff with great level design? That's fun; that's all that's absolutely necessary. Of course, textures, weapons, etc. are important in making a good scenario great, but I guess the point is that textures, plot, monsters, and weapons will not make a bad scenario good; only better maps will.

Holy dogcrap, that's one hell of a long post. Feel free to tl;dr.

Oh, that one bit about writing: I have to have faith that the leader knows English. One thing that I absolutely, 100% can't stand is poor grammar in terminals. Good writing is such a minimal thing in comparison to everything else that failing in this regard is completely inexcusable. If the project leader is okay with letting poor writing, among other critical details, slide, I cannot work for him. Maybe that's just one of my silly caveats, but man, it just burns my biscuits.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weapon?Pfhorever 1/17/07 6:36 a.m.
     Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaForrest of B.org 1/17/07 8:16 a.m.
           Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaPfhorever 1/17/07 8:32 a.m.
           Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaPfhorever 1/17/07 9:02 a.m.
                 Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaSnowCrash 1/17/07 2:34 p.m.
                       Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaPfhorever 1/17/07 3:19 p.m.
                             Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaSnowCrash 1/17/07 3:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaPfhorever 1/17/07 3:30 p.m.
                       Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weaPfhorever 1/17/07 3:29 p.m.
                             I say go with the french! VIVA LA RESISTANCE! *NM*Johannes Gunnar 1/17/07 9:58 p.m.
                                   Re: I say go with the french! VIVA LA RESISTANCE!Pfhorever 1/18/07 12:03 p.m.
                                         Anyone home?Pfhorever 1/19/07 2:01 p.m.
                                               Re: Anyone home?ukimalefu 1/19/07 6:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: Anyone home?Pfhorever 1/20/07 4:46 a.m.
                                                           Re: Anyone home? *LINK* *LINK*Pfhorever 1/20/07 7:34 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Anyone home?thermoplyae 1/20/07 9:03 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Anyone home?Pfhorever 1/20/07 9:39 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Anyone home?thermoplyae 1/20/07 8:37 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Anyone home?Pfhorever 1/25/07 1:00 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Anyone home?thermoplyae 1/25/07 5:29 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Anyone home?ukimalefu 1/25/07 6:21 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Anyone home?thermoplyae 1/25/07 6:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Anyone home?Forrest of B.org 1/25/07 6:50 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Anyone home?thermoplyae 1/25/07 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                                           On Projects and Passive BystandersMrHen 1/26/07 5:31 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: On Projects and Passive BystandersForrest of B.org 1/26/07 8:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Me! All about me!MrHen 1/26/07 9:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Me! All about me!Forrest of B.org 1/26/07 8:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   I can take a look at it. :)MrHen 1/27/07 12:18 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: I can take a look at it. :)Forrest of B.org 1/28/07 4:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               awesome.MrHen 1/29/07 5:44 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Just what IS needed for a project? (Very long!)RyokoTK 1/26/07 9:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Heartily seconded *NM* *NM*kyjel 1/26/07 10:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Maps and storiesMrHen 1/27/07 12:41 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Maps and storieskyjel 1/27/07 12:59 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Maps and storiesgoran 1/27/07 6:28 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Maps and storiesRyokoTK 1/28/07 4:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   slight correction...MrHen 1/29/07 5:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: slight correction...RyokoTK 1/29/07 6:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               :) *NM*MrHen 1/29/07 8:43 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Anyone home?goran 1/26/07 5:48 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Anyone home?thermoplyae 1/26/07 6:46 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Anyone home?goran 1/26/07 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                   haha, that link is awesome *NM*MrHen 1/26/07 8:11 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Anyone home?Andrew Nagy 1/26/07 6:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Anyone home?Forrest of B.org 1/26/07 8:26 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Anyone home?Andrew Nagy 1/26/07 10:00 p.m.
                                                                                                     we could if you LINKED it... *NM*MrHen 1/27/07 12:10 p.m.
                                                           Re: Anyone home?ukimalefu 1/20/07 11:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Anyone home?Pfhorever 1/20/07 11:40 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Anyone home?McNutcase 1/20/07 12:15 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Anyone home?Pfhorever 1/20/07 12:20 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Anyone home?McNutcase 1/20/07 12:23 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Anyone home?Pfhorever 1/20/07 12:27 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Anyone home?McNutcase 1/20/07 12:31 p.m.
                                                                                               I can proof websitesMrHen 1/21/07 1:12 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Anyone home?ukimalefu 1/20/07 4:51 p.m.
     Re: Anyone ever heard of the WMaiD fusion mine weagoran 1/17/07 9:23 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.