/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: addition: beliefs and maps
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/3/05 7:07 p.m.

In Response To: addition: beliefs and maps (goran)

: I have somethings to add.

: There's one reality out there. we use our sensory organs to read this
: reality. The sensory data gets transfered into our brain and translated
: into pictures, feelings and thought processes.

: How the brain translate sensory data, has much to do (if you belive in
: psyhcology) with your beliefs. This means, what you believe - you see.
: (the beliefs filter the sensory data and deletes most of the stuff that runs
: against it)

: Your beliefs are your brain's map to the real world, and a map can never be
: perfect, unless it is reality itself, and then it's not a map. Catchy eh?

: Humans have so many and different beliefs, that finding two humans with exact
: the same beliefs would be quite impossible.

: What one human belive in and holds for true, may another human not belive in,
: and hold for untrue. They both created their own maps of the same reality.
: They walk around and navigate through reality with different maps.

: Who's right and who is wrong? No one can ever know.

We are all partially right, but only partially so. Ideas don't just come into our brains at random, they come from somewhere, from reality, and the inaccuracies in the "map" or "image" that they form is due to lacking information - they're like blurry low-res pictures. The real thing is infinitely high-res, so we can never hope to have a perfect reproduction of it in our heads, but we can hope to fill in the missing information in the picture and improve the quality of our mental model of reality.

I'm not sure if you mean it this way, but you sound very futile about all of this; you may as well be saying that everyone lives in their own separate "reality" (fiction, really) and if those "realities" ever overlap it's only by chance, which is what it sounded like you were saying before and which is why I wrote that whole long thing. It seems both an unpleasant and an unproductive view to hold.

If you accept what I said above, that ideas all come from somewhere, from reality, to form the data of our mental model, then it seems obvious that there is a common basis, and common truth, which we all hold in common in all of our mental models, and that in growing those models we will have more and more overlap - if we had perfect, infinite models the overlap would be complete and identical with the one true reality. So if someone's map doesn't mesh with yours, it's because either you or they or possible both are missing some information, and by figuring out which information is missing between you and sharing it, you will both end up not only with the same map as each other (in agreement), but most likely with a greater map than either of you started with (more knowledgeable).

Don't get me wrong, I totally accept what you're saying about beliefs filtering the information we get from reality, and how that skews everybody's judgement, but that is precisely why I think a belief like this notion of collaborative conversation is such an important one - it keeps you open-minded but still critically thinking, and lets you expand your mental map without throwing away the parts you've already got.

Lets play with your map metaphor, because it works pretty well. Lets say we both are in Britain and trying to find our way around the countryside there, looking for such-and-such historic landmark, the plains of so-and-so where William Wallace farted and finally defeated the English. You've got a detailed atlas of Western European road maps, and I've got a detailed atlas of North Atlantic islands and their geography. Whose atlas has the right maps? Which one should we throw away, and which one should we keep? The obvious answer seems to be "neither, and both" - they both have information about Britain in them, one with more details about the roads and buildings, and another with details about the geographical features. We could use my geographical map to figure out what plain where is the one that matches the historical description we're after, and then use your road map to figure how the fsck to get to there from London. Most useful would be an atlas that's got both road maps and geographical maps, and wouldn't it be sweet if we could compile such a thing about the entire world, not just the geography of North Atlantic islands and the roads of Western Europe, which happen to overlap in England.

: Here's some interresting questions to ask yourself:
: 1. Should you let other ppl draw on your map without your "ok" first?
: 2. Should you write on other ppl's maps without permission and without
: knowledge of what their map looks like?

No and no; but those don't seem possible anyway. You can't directly write into somebody's mind.

: 3. What do you do when you get lost with your map? (bad map)

Find your way out of wherever you're lost by whatever means you can, keep track of the route you take out, and update your map with the details of that route once you've reoriented yourself.

: 4. What do you do when you find your way with your map? (good map)

Keep it, and go exploring off the edges of it. Map the new and uncharted territories.

: 5. Is it ok to show ppl your map?
: 6. Should you look on other ppl's maps?

Heartily, yes and yes. Maybe you'll find someone else has a map with some neat areas on it that you weren't aware of, and you can use it as a preliminary guide into those regions - but still keep in mind to watch for inaccuracies on their map when you go exploring those areas, and to take note of them.

The few exceptions to this are that it's often fun to go exploring yourself without a map, so always looking at other people's maps may not be so fun (and could bias you when you finally go to those places yourself - maybe you'd avoid the awesome waterpark labelled "here be sea monsters" on their map), and it's useful to sometimes withhold information so that people can learn to map right for themselves, and not rely on people to feed them ready-made maps (which, the youngsters being unable to map for themselves, will permanently bias them since they'll be incapable of correct any errors they spot, and will instead just learn to ignore them).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Mapping communitygoran 9/27/05 11:52 a.m.
     Re: Mapping communityBlake37 9/27/05 12:11 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/27/05 1:30 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityMe_43 9/27/05 8:23 p.m.
           Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 12:38 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 3:25 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 5:23 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityForrest of B.org 9/28/05 8:18 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/28/05 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 5:23 p.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityellio7t 9/30/05 9:15 a.m.
                 ****To mapping community****me_43 9/28/05 11:45 p.m.
                       Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously. *NM*RyokoTK 9/29/05 3:39 a.m.
                             Re: Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously.Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 3:50 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****goran 9/29/05 4:02 a.m.
                       Can't we all just get along? *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/29/05 4:47 a.m.
                             Re: Can't we all just get along?Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 5:11 a.m.
                             Consider the circumstances.RyokoTK 9/29/05 12:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Consider the circumstances.me_43 10/4/05 3:19 a.m.
                       I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisReiginko 9/29/05 5:33 a.m.
                             Re: I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisme_43 9/29/05 6:38 a.m.
                                   To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:47 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...kyjel 9/29/05 9:11 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...Jacke 9/29/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...goran 9/29/05 10:00 p.m.
                                                     Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 1:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:53 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 2:57 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotSpeaker-To-Animals 10/1/05 7:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotBlake37 10/1/05 9:35 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 10/3/05 2:13 p.m.
                                         stopgoran 9/29/05 10:44 a.m.
                                               I wouldn't see it as "preaching"MrHen 9/29/05 11:41 a.m.
                                               Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 2:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:01 p.m.
                                               Re: stopBob-B-Q 9/29/05 3:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopRyokoTK 9/29/05 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopgoran 9/29/05 9:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopRyokoTK 9/30/05 4:07 a.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:18 a.m.
                                                                             FROG BLAST THE VENT CORE!!!!!!! *NM*ukimalefu 9/30/05 4:58 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/30/05 6:25 a.m.
                                                                                   Steve's housegoran 9/30/05 9:10 a.m.
                                                                                         Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:32 p.m.
                                                                                                     Unsolicted advice (this time without anecdots)goran 9/30/05 4:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 9/30/05 5:10 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 1:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:29 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Another note to self...Forrest of B.org 10/3/05 12:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Subjective vs Objective, Relative vs AbsoluteForrest of B.org 10/3/05 1:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Applause! *NM*Blake37 10/3/05 1:42 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/3/05 3:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsD-M.A. 10/3/05 7:04 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsForrest of B.org 10/3/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/4/05 12:32 a.m.
                                                                                         MSF Story HourJacke 9/30/05 1:38 p.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 2:37 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...RyokoTK 10/1/05 4:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 7:27 a.m.
                                                           Re: To all of you...Simon/team Sigma 10/1/05 12:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: To all of you...Steve Levinson 10/1/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: To all of you...C Lund 10/1/05 11:16 p.m.
                       Re: An objective opinion? Maybe.Blayne 9/29/05 7:40 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****Adam Ashwell 9/29/05 12:08 p.m.
                       To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenSteve Levinson 9/30/05 9:08 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:22 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:35 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listengoran 10/1/05 12:28 a.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenme_43 10/1/05 2:45 a.m.
           Re: Mapping communityD-M.A. 9/29/05 10:42 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityme_43 10/5/05 10:01 p.m.
                       Can't see shit. *omg downloads*Me_43 10/5/05 11:27 p.m.
                             Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedReiginko 10/6/05 2:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 6:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/6/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 2:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/7/05 2:06 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 2:54 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 10:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 11:14 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 1:54 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:54 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/8/05 1:34 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/7/05 3:12 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                             Do you really think you can make better maps?RyokoTK 10/6/05 3:34 a.m.
                                   Re: Do you really think you can make better maps?Simon/team Sigma 10/6/05 3:55 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:14 a.m.
                             [end thread]me_43 10/6/05 5:06 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]D-M.A. 10/6/05 7:55 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]Dave 10/7/05 9:08 p.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 1:32 a.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 2:06 a.m.
                                               Re: [end thread]RyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:53 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 11:55 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.