/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listen
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 9/30/05 9:08 p.m.

In Response To: ****To mapping community**** (me_43)

Damn, I get embroiled in a real-world battle at work for a few days and look what happens to my fav forum. It's no secret that I'm one of a few older people who post here. John Sumner and I are both middle-aged academic types and and we both deal a lot with inexperienced, juvenile types who have a bit too much testosterone flowing in their veins. I'm gooing to try not to sound like your fathers on this, but you really need to step back for a moment. This forum isn't worth the brusing you're giving other people's egoes. Marathon itself isn't worth it. Goran, you may not want my unsolicited advice, but you're going to get a hell of a lot of unsolicited advice during your lifetime and some of it may even save your life. Spend a day with me on Rounds at the Rehab Institute of Michigan in Detroit and you'll see several young men and boys who thought they knew it all - who didn't think they needed unsolicited advice and got it back in the form of a bullet lodged in their spine. Maybe they were right, but few of them will ever walk again, go to the bathroom without the use of catheters and medications or have sexual relations in the same way that we think of sex. The fact is that none of us ever knows it all - learning is a lifelong process and being open-minded is the only way to learn. I'm sure that John would agree with me on this but learning is a two-way street, as was eloquently related in an earlier quote from S'pht lore about the youngest learning from the oldest. One of the things I love about academicia is that I learn as much from my students as they do from me. Learning comes from unexpected places and if you close your mind to the advice of others, you will stop growing. My namesake's error in building that house was not that he followed everyone's unsolicited advice, but that he did not learn from it. He kept taking advice at face value and expected to be spoon-fed knowledge rather than seeking it out and learning in the process. If he'd closed his eyes and his ears, he would have forever stopped growing.

Goran, you are a gifted mapmaker, but you are one of the most arrogant people who visits the forum and you still have much to learn. I have seen much growth in your maps over the years I've known you, but there are still tricks I've seen in other people's work that are just so unique - so insane - that they blow everything else away. Your work has been exceptional, but I have seen very few examples of mapmaking that I would call revolutionary - inovations that change the course of future mapmaking. Fridgidman's mapmaking style may seem dated today, but he lead the way for everyone else. When your work is widely copied by others, then you'll know that you have achieved mapmaking greatness. Until you see examples of mapmaking techniques that you pioneered showing up in others' work, you really shouldn't claim that youv'e reached the pinacle of mapmaking. More to the point, Goran, is that your zinger to Me_43 was really below the belt and inappropriate in this forum. Although I don't excuse his reaction, you really should have expected that it would cause disharmony here. It was a very childish thing to do. We've had our disagreements in the past, but I think I've also earned your respect. I may not be a mapmaker, not because I couln't be but because I have a life. I only have time to enjoy the work of others, but I am probably one of the most experienced Marathon gamers out there and I have experienced nearly every map created for Marathon and its variants. I hope that you will recognize a voice of maturity and wisdom when you hear it and take this opportunity to examine whether you really do know it all and whether or not it was wise to start one of this forum's few major flame wars, which is what you've essentially done.

Me_43, you really shouldn't hold Goran and a few of his idol worshipers responsible for the opinions of the entire forum. You have made substantial contributions and I hope that you will stay. I sincerely hope that you have stayed long enough to read this. Goran is arogant beyond what is justified even by his substantial mapmaking skills and there are a handful of people who stand in awe of him because they frankly don't know any better. That still doesn't excuse your reaction. It was a tantrum. Sadly, there are tantrums in this forum from time to time and even Forrest threw one once when I criticized Eternal (perhaps making a post under the title "Eternally Bored" was a bit harsh). You may recall that I was extremely skeptical of your ability to create a replacement for AO when you first started out. To me you were a mere kid who really didn't know what he was getting into (now that I know your age, yes, you were a niaive 13 year old kid). What I didn't know at the time was how tenatious you were and how much you could accomplish in 3 years, much less that you'd stick with it for 3 years. I have been impressed and somewhat humbled by what you've managed to accomplish and I would like to think that at least some of it stems from the advice I've given you over the years. You and I both know, however, that there is still a hell of a lot left to do, even though you're close to haveing an alpha of an editor ready that can actually import existing Marathon maps. What would truly be a crime would be for you to give up just because of Goran's and your own immaturity. There are many of us here who are rooting for you and would love to see E0 reach its full fruition. The last 3 years have not been a waste of your time and I think you know it. You've done a lot, and you've contributed a lot with your posts. Please stay, but try not to throw a tantrum the next time someone ticks you off.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Mapping communitygoran 9/27/05 11:52 a.m.
     Re: Mapping communityBlake37 9/27/05 12:11 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/27/05 1:30 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityMe_43 9/27/05 8:23 p.m.
           Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 12:38 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 3:25 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 5:23 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityForrest of B.org 9/28/05 8:18 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/28/05 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 5:23 p.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityellio7t 9/30/05 9:15 a.m.
                 ****To mapping community****me_43 9/28/05 11:45 p.m.
                       Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously. *NM*RyokoTK 9/29/05 3:39 a.m.
                             Re: Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously.Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 3:50 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****goran 9/29/05 4:02 a.m.
                       Can't we all just get along? *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/29/05 4:47 a.m.
                             Re: Can't we all just get along?Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 5:11 a.m.
                             Consider the circumstances.RyokoTK 9/29/05 12:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Consider the circumstances.me_43 10/4/05 3:19 a.m.
                       I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisReiginko 9/29/05 5:33 a.m.
                             Re: I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisme_43 9/29/05 6:38 a.m.
                                   To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:47 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...kyjel 9/29/05 9:11 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...Jacke 9/29/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...goran 9/29/05 10:00 p.m.
                                                     Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 1:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:53 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 2:57 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotSpeaker-To-Animals 10/1/05 7:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotBlake37 10/1/05 9:35 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 10/3/05 2:13 p.m.
                                         stopgoran 9/29/05 10:44 a.m.
                                               I wouldn't see it as "preaching"MrHen 9/29/05 11:41 a.m.
                                               Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 2:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:01 p.m.
                                               Re: stopBob-B-Q 9/29/05 3:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopRyokoTK 9/29/05 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopgoran 9/29/05 9:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopRyokoTK 9/30/05 4:07 a.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:18 a.m.
                                                                             FROG BLAST THE VENT CORE!!!!!!! *NM*ukimalefu 9/30/05 4:58 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/30/05 6:25 a.m.
                                                                                   Steve's housegoran 9/30/05 9:10 a.m.
                                                                                         Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:32 p.m.
                                                                                                     Unsolicted advice (this time without anecdots)goran 9/30/05 4:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 9/30/05 5:10 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 1:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:29 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Another note to self...Forrest of B.org 10/3/05 12:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Subjective vs Objective, Relative vs AbsoluteForrest of B.org 10/3/05 1:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Applause! *NM*Blake37 10/3/05 1:42 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/3/05 3:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsD-M.A. 10/3/05 7:04 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsForrest of B.org 10/3/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/4/05 12:32 a.m.
                                                                                         MSF Story HourJacke 9/30/05 1:38 p.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 2:37 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...RyokoTK 10/1/05 4:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 7:27 a.m.
                                                           Re: To all of you...Simon/team Sigma 10/1/05 12:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: To all of you...Steve Levinson 10/1/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: To all of you...C Lund 10/1/05 11:16 p.m.
                       Re: An objective opinion? Maybe.Blayne 9/29/05 7:40 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****Adam Ashwell 9/29/05 12:08 p.m.
                       To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenSteve Levinson 9/30/05 9:08 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:22 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:35 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listengoran 10/1/05 12:28 a.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenme_43 10/1/05 2:45 a.m.
           Re: Mapping communityD-M.A. 9/29/05 10:42 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityme_43 10/5/05 10:01 p.m.
                       Can't see shit. *omg downloads*Me_43 10/5/05 11:27 p.m.
                             Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedReiginko 10/6/05 2:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 6:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/6/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 2:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/7/05 2:06 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 2:54 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 10:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 11:14 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 1:54 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:54 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/8/05 1:34 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/7/05 3:12 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                             Do you really think you can make better maps?RyokoTK 10/6/05 3:34 a.m.
                                   Re: Do you really think you can make better maps?Simon/team Sigma 10/6/05 3:55 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:14 a.m.
                             [end thread]me_43 10/6/05 5:06 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]D-M.A. 10/6/05 7:55 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]Dave 10/7/05 9:08 p.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 1:32 a.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 2:06 a.m.
                                               Re: [end thread]RyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:53 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 11:55 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.