/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Collaborative Conversation
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 9/30/05 1:32 p.m.

In Response To: Collaborative Conversation (Forrest of B.org)

: This is a note to myself to write more on this topic when I get home from
: work...

Screw it, I'm bored at work, and I love philosophical conversations.

I don't entirely disagree with your anecdote. It is a valid criticism of being gullible and easily persuaded. You shouldn't take other people's opinions at face value and just run with them, I agree there.

But the implication this anecdote makes that you should not seek consider other people's opinions unless you feel like it goes too far to the other side and becomes very closed-minded.

The principle I advocate is what I call "collaborative conversation" - take everybody to be partially right, but ONLY partially right. Put another way, hold on to the true foundations of your own opinion and actively seek to incorporate the true parts of others opinions so as to expand the truth of your own.

In your anecdote, Steve begins with no opinion at all, then takes Jojo's opinion for his own. Jojo's advice at the end amounts to "I gave you good advice to start with, why did you have to listen to all those people?", but that line of reasoning would have lead Steve to shun Jojo's advice in the first place, since Jojo's opinion was not that which he already held (since he held none).

What I'm saying Steve should do is take Jojo's opinion for his own, since he has none to start with, and then evaluate any new opinions he encounters in light of his own opinion. Don't scrap what Jojo said for what the next builder says, but don't ignore the next builder either. If you entirely disagree with someone, something in your understanding is lacking. If you can see where they're coming from, understand how they could hold that opinion, but still see where they're lacking, then the truth of their opinion is less broad than yours and there's nothing there to incorporate - you've already got those parts. But if they say something and you just don't understand, from your current point of view, how they could possibly think that's true, it seems diametrically opposed and alien to what you've got now - don't just disregard them, but don't scrap your current point of view for theirs either: seek the broader point of view which incorporates both of them.

That's not to say to seek the middle ground either. A third "middle" point of view between might see things kind of like both of them but still hold them both to be incomprehensible in some way or another, and is likely to be inconsistent with itself anyway. That's what people normally call "compromise" - the fine art of making sure everybody loses equally. I mean to seek a HIGHER point of view - collaboration, the art of seeing that everybody's a winner.

Now, your anecdote allows for the seeking of advice at will, and so in some sense is not incompatible with the method I'm putting forth. The only real distinction I'm making is that, *whenever possible*, not just when you feel like it or when you've no other option, seek to understand anyone you disagree with, to the point that you no longer do, while at the time time never letting go of your own original understanding. Expand your understanding to encompass theirs and in doing so become greater than both they and your previous self.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Mapping communitygoran 9/27/05 11:52 a.m.
     Re: Mapping communityBlake37 9/27/05 12:11 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/27/05 1:30 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityMe_43 9/27/05 8:23 p.m.
           Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 12:38 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 3:25 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 5:23 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityForrest of B.org 9/28/05 8:18 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/28/05 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 5:23 p.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityellio7t 9/30/05 9:15 a.m.
                 ****To mapping community****me_43 9/28/05 11:45 p.m.
                       Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously. *NM*RyokoTK 9/29/05 3:39 a.m.
                             Re: Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously.Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 3:50 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****goran 9/29/05 4:02 a.m.
                       Can't we all just get along? *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/29/05 4:47 a.m.
                             Re: Can't we all just get along?Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 5:11 a.m.
                             Consider the circumstances.RyokoTK 9/29/05 12:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Consider the circumstances.me_43 10/4/05 3:19 a.m.
                       I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisReiginko 9/29/05 5:33 a.m.
                             Re: I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisme_43 9/29/05 6:38 a.m.
                                   To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:47 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...kyjel 9/29/05 9:11 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...Jacke 9/29/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...goran 9/29/05 10:00 p.m.
                                                     Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 1:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:53 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 2:57 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotSpeaker-To-Animals 10/1/05 7:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotBlake37 10/1/05 9:35 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 10/3/05 2:13 p.m.
                                         stopgoran 9/29/05 10:44 a.m.
                                               I wouldn't see it as "preaching"MrHen 9/29/05 11:41 a.m.
                                               Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 2:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:01 p.m.
                                               Re: stopBob-B-Q 9/29/05 3:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopRyokoTK 9/29/05 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopgoran 9/29/05 9:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopRyokoTK 9/30/05 4:07 a.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:18 a.m.
                                                                             FROG BLAST THE VENT CORE!!!!!!! *NM*ukimalefu 9/30/05 4:58 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/30/05 6:25 a.m.
                                                                                   Steve's housegoran 9/30/05 9:10 a.m.
                                                                                         Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:32 p.m.
                                                                                                     Unsolicted advice (this time without anecdots)goran 9/30/05 4:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 9/30/05 5:10 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 1:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:29 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Another note to self...Forrest of B.org 10/3/05 12:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Subjective vs Objective, Relative vs AbsoluteForrest of B.org 10/3/05 1:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Applause! *NM*Blake37 10/3/05 1:42 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/3/05 3:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsD-M.A. 10/3/05 7:04 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsForrest of B.org 10/3/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/4/05 12:32 a.m.
                                                                                         MSF Story HourJacke 9/30/05 1:38 p.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 2:37 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...RyokoTK 10/1/05 4:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 7:27 a.m.
                                                           Re: To all of you...Simon/team Sigma 10/1/05 12:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: To all of you...Steve Levinson 10/1/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: To all of you...C Lund 10/1/05 11:16 p.m.
                       Re: An objective opinion? Maybe.Blayne 9/29/05 7:40 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****Adam Ashwell 9/29/05 12:08 p.m.
                       To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenSteve Levinson 9/30/05 9:08 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:22 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:35 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listengoran 10/1/05 12:28 a.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenme_43 10/1/05 2:45 a.m.
           Re: Mapping communityD-M.A. 9/29/05 10:42 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityme_43 10/5/05 10:01 p.m.
                       Can't see shit. *omg downloads*Me_43 10/5/05 11:27 p.m.
                             Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedReiginko 10/6/05 2:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 6:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/6/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 2:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/7/05 2:06 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 2:54 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 10:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 11:14 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 1:54 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:54 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/8/05 1:34 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/7/05 3:12 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                             Do you really think you can make better maps?RyokoTK 10/6/05 3:34 a.m.
                                   Re: Do you really think you can make better maps?Simon/team Sigma 10/6/05 3:55 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:14 a.m.
                             [end thread]me_43 10/6/05 5:06 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]D-M.A. 10/6/05 7:55 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]Dave 10/7/05 9:08 p.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 1:32 a.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 2:06 a.m.
                                               Re: [end thread]RyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:53 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 11:55 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.