/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Steve's house
Posted By: goranDate: 9/30/05 9:10 a.m.

In Response To: Re: stop (Forrest of B.org)

Once upon a time there was a people, called builders. They were like men and their purpose in life was to build the most significiant house they could.

Where we enter, is a young builder, called Steve, puzzled how he should construct his house. Like all other builders he got access to any kind of building material. His problem is that he have no clue how to build a house. He doesn't even know where to start.

Steve decides to take a walk in the town and study all other houses. He come across one of the most beautiful and tall buildings he's ever seen. While he study the building, the front door opens. A man much older than he is introduces himself as Jojo. He asks steve if he needs help with anything.

Steve says yes I do. I don't know how to start building my house, can you give me some advice. Of course young fella, said Jojo. I'll help you construct a steady ground and teach you the basics.

Over a long time Jojo taught Steve about the art of construction and gave him plenty of tips. When the first story was finished, Jojo said:
I think its time for me to go now, you have enough knowledge now to continue on your own.
Jojo left Steve and Steve continued happily to work on his house.

Soon a stranger paid Steve a visit. He said: Steve what you're doing might work but this is a lot better. You should do this and that. Use wood there and stone there.
Steve tried the stranger's tips and they worked pretty fine. Good with unsolicited advice thought Steve to himself, I want more of that.

Soon another stranger paid Steve a visit. He said: Steve are you crazy? That construction won't hold! Raze that and build it in this way instead. Steve felt hurt in someway, he was proud of what he'd done so far, but what if the man was right? He decided to try his advice.

Halfway through the new construction and new man came and gave Steve advice:
That's pretty good, you're pretty right, but look here son, you're doing it wrong here.

It kept going on and on and on like this for a long time. Steve's house grew and as it grew Steve started to get afraid he'd be doing something wrong. He always got advice - it seemed like he just didn't get "it". Would he ever learn to construct it right? Steve's answer to the problem was to listen better and learn the lessons better, that way he must eventually get "it". Steve even went so far as to ask everyone before he did anything, it seemed most secure in some way.

the years passed. The house grew and grew and grew.

Steve's house was now big, but he didn't feel proud. When he thought of Jojo, he was nothing like him. Jojo looked so alive and proud. Why? Asked Steve to himself, why don't I feel good, why do I need to prove myself to all other builders? Why ain't im doing it right?

Confused Steve went over to Jojo.
He said to Jojo: I don't get it, I don't seem to get it right, I don't feel proud over my building, yet, look at it, it's huge. What have I done wrong?
I listened to everybody and follow their advice. Why do I get such a bad result?

Steve my friend, said Jojo calmly. You haven't thought for yourself. You're a perfectly fine builder. When you came to me you needed advice, and the advice I gave you was invaluable for you.
When I left you, you started to listen to advice you didn't need. You let other ppl do the thinking for you. Now look at your building! You've basically been a working slave to some rude builders.... Do you wanna know the secret behind my own success?

Of course! said Steve.

When ppl give me advice I don't need, I tell them to buzz off. When I get stuck or is in need of help I go and ask for advice from someone I respect.

I only get advice that I want, which means I only get good advice.

Steve thought for a while. Then he said: But whatif you're doing something wrong, that could actually be avoided by listening to their advice.

Yes said Jojo, but you won't learn the valuable lesson. If you don't listen to him you might end up in a bad situation. That's ok. If you do, you can go and ask for advice and overcome your problem. You learn this way. What first seems to be a failure eventually transforms into success.

Since that day, Steve followed Jojo's advice. He made many bad construction but he felt happy about it. He was figuring out the art of construction for himself and he asked for advice many times along the way. This time it was not of fear but of curiosity. Steve felt better for every day and developed his own style and created one of the most beutiful buildings in town.

Ever since then, Steve had said NO to unsolicited advice. He understood the damage it could do.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Mapping communitygoran 9/27/05 11:52 a.m.
     Re: Mapping communityBlake37 9/27/05 12:11 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/27/05 1:30 p.m.
     Re: Mapping communityMe_43 9/27/05 8:23 p.m.
           Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 12:38 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 3:25 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 9/28/05 5:23 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityForrest of B.org 9/28/05 8:18 a.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityNick Hoad 9/28/05 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Mapping communityRyokoTK 9/28/05 5:23 p.m.
                             Re: Mapping communityellio7t 9/30/05 9:15 a.m.
                 ****To mapping community****me_43 9/28/05 11:45 p.m.
                       Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously. *NM*RyokoTK 9/29/05 3:39 a.m.
                             Re: Just be quiet, me_43. Seriously.Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 3:50 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****goran 9/29/05 4:02 a.m.
                       Can't we all just get along? *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/29/05 4:47 a.m.
                             Re: Can't we all just get along?Simon/team Sigma 9/29/05 5:11 a.m.
                             Consider the circumstances.RyokoTK 9/29/05 12:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Consider the circumstances.me_43 10/4/05 3:19 a.m.
                       I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisReiginko 9/29/05 5:33 a.m.
                             Re: I'm with Bob-B-Q on thisme_43 9/29/05 6:38 a.m.
                                   To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:47 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...kyjel 9/29/05 9:11 a.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...Jacke 9/29/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...Forrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...goran 9/29/05 10:00 p.m.
                                                     Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 1:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:53 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotTyler 9/30/05 2:57 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotSpeaker-To-Animals 10/1/05 7:31 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotBlake37 10/1/05 9:35 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Sleep is irrelevent to the FobotForrest of B.org 10/3/05 2:13 p.m.
                                         stopgoran 9/29/05 10:44 a.m.
                                               I wouldn't see it as "preaching"MrHen 9/29/05 11:41 a.m.
                                               Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 2:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 8:01 p.m.
                                               Re: stopBob-B-Q 9/29/05 3:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: stopRyokoTK 9/29/05 3:29 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 7:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: stopgoran 9/29/05 9:54 p.m.
                                                                 Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/29/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:10 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopRyokoTK 9/30/05 4:07 a.m.
                                                                       Re: stopgoran 9/30/05 3:18 a.m.
                                                                             FROG BLAST THE VENT CORE!!!!!!! *NM*ukimalefu 9/30/05 4:58 a.m.
                                                                             Re: stopForrest of B.org 9/30/05 6:25 a.m.
                                                                                   Steve's housegoran 9/30/05 9:10 a.m.
                                                                                         Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 1:32 p.m.
                                                                                                     Unsolicted advice (this time without anecdots)goran 9/30/05 4:39 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 9/30/05 5:10 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative ConversationForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 1:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative ConversationD-M.A. 10/1/05 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:46 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Collaborative Conversationgoran 10/1/05 2:29 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Another note to self...Forrest of B.org 10/3/05 12:10 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Subjective vs Objective, Relative vs AbsoluteForrest of B.org 10/3/05 1:12 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Applause! *NM*Blake37 10/3/05 1:42 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/3/05 3:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsD-M.A. 10/3/05 7:04 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: addition: beliefs and mapsForrest of B.org 10/3/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: addition: beliefs and mapsgoran 10/4/05 12:32 a.m.
                                                                                         MSF Story HourJacke 9/30/05 1:38 p.m.
                                         Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 2:37 a.m.
                                               Re: To all of you...RyokoTK 10/1/05 4:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: To all of you...me_43 10/1/05 7:27 a.m.
                                                           Re: To all of you...Simon/team Sigma 10/1/05 12:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: To all of you...Steve Levinson 10/1/05 7:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: To all of you...C Lund 10/1/05 11:16 p.m.
                       Re: An objective opinion? Maybe.Blayne 9/29/05 7:40 a.m.
                       Re: ****To mapping community****Adam Ashwell 9/29/05 12:08 p.m.
                       To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenSteve Levinson 9/30/05 9:08 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenD-M.A. 9/30/05 9:22 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenForrest of B.org 9/30/05 10:35 p.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listengoran 10/1/05 12:28 a.m.
                             Re: To me_43, Göran and anyone else who'll listenme_43 10/1/05 2:45 a.m.
           Re: Mapping communityD-M.A. 9/29/05 10:42 a.m.
                 Re: Mapping communityme_43 10/5/05 10:01 p.m.
                       Can't see shit. *omg downloads*Me_43 10/5/05 11:27 p.m.
                             Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedReiginko 10/6/05 2:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 6:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/6/05 9:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedForrest of B.org 10/6/05 2:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/7/05 2:06 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 2:54 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 10:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/7/05 11:14 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedNick Hoad 10/7/05 1:54 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:54 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedgoran 10/8/05 1:34 a.m.
                                                           Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/7/05 3:12 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedme_43 10/8/05 12:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh, man, and I thought this thread had diedRyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                             Do you really think you can make better maps?RyokoTK 10/6/05 3:34 a.m.
                                   Re: Do you really think you can make better maps?Simon/team Sigma 10/6/05 3:55 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:14 a.m.
                             [end thread]me_43 10/6/05 5:06 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]D-M.A. 10/6/05 7:55 a.m.
                                   Re: [end thread]Dave 10/7/05 9:08 p.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 1:32 a.m.
                                         Re: [end thread]goran 10/8/05 2:06 a.m.
                                               Re: [end thread]RyokoTK 10/8/05 3:16 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 4:53 a.m.
                       Re: Mapping communitygoran 10/6/05 11:55 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.