/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Some important Marathon - Halo connections???
Posted By: Diego Rey MendezDate: 9/8/05 11:17 a.m.

I've been thinking a bit about both Marathon and Halo and I found some interesting points that lead me to believe there are many more connections between the two than it would seem like at first. I haven't read any similar theory around, so please bear with me if this is nothing new. I will post some other interesting tidbits in the future as well (when I actually get the time to write them down = ).

Here’s my theory:

Simon, the cyborg from Marathon, is nothing more than one of the units from the SPARTAN I project. There are several reasons why I think that this is the case.

The first reason is obvious, and it is that both Simon (Marathon) and John (Halo) are very similar in what they are and how they behave. Both of them obey their orders without questioning: Simon takes his orders from Durandal (probably because the Marathon ship’s AI is higher in the chain of command than he is) while John takes his orders from whoever has a higher rank than he does.

Also, they both qualify as cyborgs in that they both have been enhanced using similar technologies:

Simon:

Dead soldiers were recycled in makeshift battleroid factories. Easy to manufacture chips enhanced the fragile human brain, and genetically enhanced muscles and titanium bones replaced the fragile human form. The modern battleroid was born.

*** Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones... (Terminal 2)

John:

1. Carbide ceramic ossification: advanced material grafting onto skeletal structures to make bones virtually unbreakable. Recommended coverage not to exceed 3 percent total bone mass because of significant white blood cell necrosis. Specific risk for pre- and near-postpubescent adolescents: skeletal growth spurts may cause irreparable bone pulverization. See attached case studies.

2.Muscular enhancement injections: protein complex is injected intramuscularly to increase tissue density and decrease lactase recovery time. Risk: 5 percent of test subjects experience a fatal cardiac volume increase.

3. Catalytic thyroid implant: platinum pellet containing human growth hormone catalyst is implanted in the thyroid to boost growth of skeletal and muscle tissues. Risk: rare instances of elephantiasis. Suppressed sexual drive.

4. Occipital capillary reversal: submergence and boosted blood vessel flow beneath the rods and cones of subject’s retina. Produces a marked visual perception increase. Risk: retinal rejection and detachment. Permanent blindness. See attached autopsy reports.

5. Superconducting fibrification of neural dendrites:alteration of bioelectrical nerve transduction to shielded electronic transduction. Three hundred percent increase in subject reflexes. Anecdotal evidence of marked increase in intelligence, memory, and creativity. Risk: significant instances of Parkinson’s disease and Fletcher’s syndrome.

*** Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 56

Coincidence? I think not. What happened with the SPARTAN I project? How many were they? Where are they?

To answer these questions we can take the information we have from the SPARTAN II project and the game Marathon:

She blinked and smiled. “A fairly accurate assumption and analysis, Lieutenant. This is a reconnaissance mission . . . of sorts. We are here to observe a child. The first of many, I hope.”

*** Halo: The Fall of Reach, Dr. Halsey , page 19

So if John 117 was the first of many for the project SPARTAN II, it means that the first project used 116 subjects (or 117 if the numeration scheme used is 0-based). Of those subjects, at least 10 survived the training and surgery (the cyborgs put onboard the Marathon).

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that the number was reduced that much, considering that out of 150 subjects initially chosen for the SPARTAN II project in Halo, only a tiny fraction of them made it to the end of the training.

The Marathon was launched in the year 2472 (according to the Marathon Story Page) while the selection for the SPARTAN II project started in the year 2517 (according to Halo: The Fall of Reach). That would put nearly 45 years (we can’t know for sure when SPARTAN I ended or when SPARTAN II started) between both projects. Why they waited so long is something I don’t know, but maybe it had to do with the difficulties they faced with the Mark I armor, which I would think happened during the SPARTAN I project:

“I’m not sure I see the connection between this place, my Spartans, and the exoskeleton projects,” Dr. Halsey replied, frowning, “but I’ll play along a bit further. Yes, I know all about the Mark I prototypes. We had to scrap the concept and redesign battle armor from the ground up for the MJOLNIR project. The Mark Is consumed enormous energy. Either they had to be plugged into a generator or use inefficient broadcast power—neither option is practical on a battlefield.”

*** Halo: The Fall of Reach, Dr. Halsey , page 68

This would of course mean that the cyborgs from the SPARTAN I project did not have a MJOLNIR Mark I armor as they were supposed to... and if you look at the player in the Marathon series, it certainly looks like he is not carrying any kind of special armor, as opposed to the player in Halo (who does).

There are probably more points in common (ie terms like MJOLNIR being used in Marathon and Halo). Please feel free to point them out if you find them.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Diego Rey Mendez 9/8/05 11:17 a.m.
     Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Johannes Gunnar 9/8/05 11:30 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Diego Rey Mendez 9/8/05 11:35 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???goran 9/11/05 9:27 p.m.
     Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Diego Rey Mendez 9/8/05 11:41 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???AfroRyan 9/8/05 1:33 p.m.
                 Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Vid Boi 9/9/05 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???ukimalefu 9/9/05 2:42 p.m.
                             Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Reiginko 9/11/05 12:53 a.m.
                                   I WANT to believe!!! *NM*ukimalefu 9/11/05 6:17 p.m.
                                         I want to deceive!! *NM*me_43 9/12/05 5:54 p.m.
                                               I want to reprieve!! *NM*Vid Boi 9/15/05 4:14 a.m.
                                                     I have to sneeze!! *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/15/05 5:35 a.m.
                                                           I want to grieve! *NM*Reiginko 9/15/05 6:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I want to conc-- uh... scratch that. *NM*MrHen 9/15/05 10:00 a.m.
                                                                       The tru7h! It's really MRS hen! *NM*Blake37 9/15/05 10:07 a.m.
                                                                             Pass me the cheese!! *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/15/05 1:50 p.m.
                                                                                   Stop it, please! *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/17/05 2:43 p.m.
                                                                                         Jeeze *NM*kyjel 9/17/05 5:56 p.m.
                                                                                               This thread is the bee's knees! *NM*Vid Boi 9/18/05 5:30 a.m.
                                                                                                     You all deserve random fees!me_43 9/18/05 6:52 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Success! *NM*MrHen 9/19/05 5:36 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Bob-B-Q 9/8/05 1:48 p.m.
     uh...MrHen 9/8/05 1:37 p.m.
           Re: uh...Steve Levinson 9/8/05 6:45 p.m.
                 Please, stop itpaolo mk IV 9/9/05 10:49 p.m.
                       Re: Please, stop itAfroRyan 9/12/05 4:50 a.m.
                       not to pop your bubble...MrHen 9/12/05 8:50 a.m.
                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Blake37 9/12/05 10:26 a.m.
                             Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/12/05 10:29 a.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/12/05 11:32 a.m.
                                         Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/12/05 1:15 p.m.
                                               Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/13/05 8:54 a.m.
                                                     Re: not to pop your bubble...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/13/05 9:03 a.m.
                                                           Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/14/05 12:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: not to pop your bubble...Bob-B-Q 9/14/05 2:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: not to pop your bubble...Reiginko 9/15/05 3:37 a.m.
                                                                 Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/16/05 9:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/16/05 10:50 a.m.
                                                                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Blake37 9/16/05 11:42 a.m.
                                                                       Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/16/05 11:37 a.m.
                                                                             Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/16/05 1:45 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/17/05 7:28 a.m.
                                                                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Bob-B-Q 9/17/05 7:05 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/17/05 7:38 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/17/05 8:08 a.m.
                                                                       Victims? I think they're pretty happy...MrHen 9/19/05 5:30 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Victims? I think they're pretty happy...AfroRyan 9/20/05 5:47 a.m.
                                                                                   oh, that's what you meant... *shudder* *NM*MrHen 9/22/05 6:33 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I have no idea what you mean by that *NM*AfroRyan 9/22/05 6:48 p.m.
                                                                                               then we agree to be confused? *NM*MrHen 9/23/05 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/13/05 4:16 a.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...Forrest of B.org 9/13/05 4:43 p.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/13/05 5:56 p.m.
                                         Re: not to pop your bubble...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/14/05 4:35 a.m.
                                         wha?MrHen 9/14/05 6:09 a.m.
                                               Re: wha?Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/14/05 6:45 a.m.
                                         Re: not to pop your bubble...Porky 9/15/05 5:12 a.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...Vid Boi 9/15/05 4:24 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.