/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: not to pop your bubble...
Posted By: paolo mk IVDate: 9/16/05 9:57 a.m.

In Response To: Re: not to pop your bubble... (AfroRyan)

I feel misunderstood, may be I am not able to make myself clear. (That's because I am an Italian? ;)
I knew the Halo movement started before microsoft, because I was part of that, and I couldn't wait to see Halo running on my mac, as Jason Jones showed was possible to some macworld (was it macworld?)
That was the natural feeling, and at the time, you should remember, Halo WAS the natural follow-up to Marathon. Everybody felt that, Bungie as well. Halo was developed on a Mac and was going to be released as a Mac game for the Mac community.
But then something happened, and MS bought Bungie. From that moment on, everything changed. The launch of Halo was postponed of more than two years (if I correctly remember) the game was completely rewritten, this time for PC. And when MS decided to lauch its own game console, HAlo was chosen to be the flagship game to grant and to power the success of the Xbox. And the launch of the Xbox has been one of the most important marketing/advertising campaigns in history.
So, my friend, I am sorry to bother you with my words, but you should be aware that something dramatically changed during the developement of Halo, and this something is named Microsoft. That's why I say it again: "What I mean is that all this Halo movement was somehow ignited, being infact part of a complex, desk studied marketing campaign set up by microsoft/bungie" and I add "to launch the Xbox worldwide".
That's why I feel the whole Halo Movement, fandom, communities and whatever more, feel more like the result of a plan than the natural result of people's feelings. I don't think Halo fans are faking, but I think they are, in a way, victims of some Microsoft marketing manager who hired someone to create a viral marketing on line campaign, a community and everything else. While on the other hand nobody ever did that for Marathon.

BTW. I also feel this place is a bit like being with some very good friends, talking together and saying (most of the times) intelligent things...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Diego Rey Mendez 9/8/05 11:17 a.m.
     Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Johannes Gunnar 9/8/05 11:30 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Diego Rey Mendez 9/8/05 11:35 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???goran 9/11/05 9:27 p.m.
     Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Diego Rey Mendez 9/8/05 11:41 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???AfroRyan 9/8/05 1:33 p.m.
                 Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Vid Boi 9/9/05 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???ukimalefu 9/9/05 2:42 p.m.
                             Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Reiginko 9/11/05 12:53 a.m.
                                   I WANT to believe!!! *NM*ukimalefu 9/11/05 6:17 p.m.
                                         I want to deceive!! *NM*me_43 9/12/05 5:54 p.m.
                                               I want to reprieve!! *NM*Vid Boi 9/15/05 4:14 a.m.
                                                     I have to sneeze!! *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/15/05 5:35 a.m.
                                                           I want to grieve! *NM*Reiginko 9/15/05 6:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: I want to conc-- uh... scratch that. *NM*MrHen 9/15/05 10:00 a.m.
                                                                       The tru7h! It's really MRS hen! *NM*Blake37 9/15/05 10:07 a.m.
                                                                             Pass me the cheese!! *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/15/05 1:50 p.m.
                                                                                   Stop it, please! *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/17/05 2:43 p.m.
                                                                                         Jeeze *NM*kyjel 9/17/05 5:56 p.m.
                                                                                               This thread is the bee's knees! *NM*Vid Boi 9/18/05 5:30 a.m.
                                                                                                     You all deserve random fees!me_43 9/18/05 6:52 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Success! *NM*MrHen 9/19/05 5:36 a.m.
           Re: Some important Marathon - Halo connections???Bob-B-Q 9/8/05 1:48 p.m.
     uh...MrHen 9/8/05 1:37 p.m.
           Re: uh...Steve Levinson 9/8/05 6:45 p.m.
                 Please, stop itpaolo mk IV 9/9/05 10:49 p.m.
                       Re: Please, stop itAfroRyan 9/12/05 4:50 a.m.
                       not to pop your bubble...MrHen 9/12/05 8:50 a.m.
                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Blake37 9/12/05 10:26 a.m.
                             Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/12/05 10:29 a.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/12/05 11:32 a.m.
                                         Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/12/05 1:15 p.m.
                                               Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/13/05 8:54 a.m.
                                                     Re: not to pop your bubble...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/13/05 9:03 a.m.
                                                           Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/14/05 12:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: not to pop your bubble...Bob-B-Q 9/14/05 2:49 p.m.
                                                                       Re: not to pop your bubble...Reiginko 9/15/05 3:37 a.m.
                                                                 Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/16/05 9:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: not to pop your bubble...AfroRyan 9/16/05 10:50 a.m.
                                                                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Blake37 9/16/05 11:42 a.m.
                                                                       Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/16/05 11:37 a.m.
                                                                             Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/16/05 1:45 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/17/05 7:28 a.m.
                                                                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Bob-B-Q 9/17/05 7:05 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/17/05 7:38 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...paolo mk IV 9/17/05 8:08 a.m.
                                                                       Victims? I think they're pretty happy...MrHen 9/19/05 5:30 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Victims? I think they're pretty happy...AfroRyan 9/20/05 5:47 a.m.
                                                                                   oh, that's what you meant... *shudder* *NM*MrHen 9/22/05 6:33 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I have no idea what you mean by that *NM*AfroRyan 9/22/05 6:48 p.m.
                                                                                               then we agree to be confused? *NM*MrHen 9/23/05 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: not to pop your bubble...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/13/05 4:16 a.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...Forrest of B.org 9/13/05 4:43 p.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...ukimalefu 9/13/05 5:56 p.m.
                                         Re: not to pop your bubble...Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/14/05 4:35 a.m.
                                         wha?MrHen 9/14/05 6:09 a.m.
                                               Re: wha?Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/14/05 6:45 a.m.
                                         Re: not to pop your bubble...Porky 9/15/05 5:12 a.m.
                                   Re: not to pop your bubble...Vid Boi 9/15/05 4:24 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.