/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: A community in decline?
Posted By: Bob-B-QDate: 5/27/05 12:17 p.m.

In Response To: A community in decline? (Claude Errera)

Now that I've calmed down a little, I should try to mend some bruised egos.

: What exactly IS a Halo Forum Response Syndrome?

: In answer to Steve L. - HBO doesn't monopolize my life or take over my
: personality - are you suggesting it has because I expressed annoyance at
: someone griping about 5 or 6 spam posts over a 3 month period (by their
: count, no less)?

Geez, some people are just sooo touchy... Myself in particular.

: I suppose my point is this: if you've got nothing better to discuss on this
: forum than how much of a pain it is to deal with spam posts, when you've
: only seen 6 of them in 3 months... why even BE here?

I'm starting to think I spend too much time around Bungie.net. You know what that place looks like on a 24/7 basis? Scary stuff.

Maybe I've developed too much of an illusion of being able to come here and never having to see any of that.

: Yeah, I posted a number of less-than-excited notes yesterday. Why? Because I
: visit the forum, and there are a number of posts complaining about how
: it's missing features, or not policed enough, or whatever... and I wonder
: why I should bother? My index shows 109 posts in the last 5 days. 7 (now
: 8) of them are mine. That means you guys are posting 20 times a day... is
: it really worth my time to fix stuff you see as broken? (Not a SINGLE
: PERSON has offered to HELP with whatever changes need to be made - so
: there's griping with no sign that anyone out there actually cares enough
: to make a difference.)

Some people just like to gripe, myself included. Try not to take it too seriously unless you hear it from absolutely everyone or see Flood jumping out of holes in the sidebar.

As for help, I'm pretty sure I've seen some offers. Nothing ever seemed to come out of them, though.

: Diminishing returns, and all that.

Hey, I like having a small forum. Topics don't dissappear in a matter of hours, like they do at B.net and even sometimes at HBO.

: I'm far less negative on forums where there's SOME positive feedback, at
: least - so I suppose if you want to label this, you should call it MSPFRS
: - Marathon Story Page Forum Response Syndrome. (That is - the negativity
: is generated HERE, not elsewhere and brought here.)

There's plenty of positive feedback; it just isn't visible right now. You should see the support this place gets whenever certain people tell us we should all move to Fileball.

: For a long time, I didn't even visit here - but then I noticed that Mark had
: stopped, as well, and I felt that SOMEONE should be watching over the
: place.

: I'm not so sure, any more. :(

I think I should make it clear that my point about the spam wasn't supposed to be a major complaint. I'm sorry if it came off as a flip remark or some kind of "omg u suck" thing. I'm really very grateful for the amount of time you put into B.org.

As for watching over this place, well... You do have HBO and all. Maybe one of the more regular members could help? I'd do it, if I knew how to use the appropriate tools.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

better login system?Hawkeyefile 5/25/05 12:58 p.m.
     i like it... *NM*Johannes Gunnar 5/25/05 2:15 p.m.
     Re: better login system?Forrest of B.org 5/25/05 3:01 p.m.
           Re: better login system?Hawkeyefile 5/25/05 3:10 p.m.
                 Re: better login system?Adam Ashwell 5/25/05 3:27 p.m.
                 Re: better login system?Johannes Gunnar 5/25/05 11:20 p.m.
                 Re: better login system?Claude Errera 5/26/05 6:08 a.m.
                       Re: better login system?Bob-B-Q 5/26/05 7:17 a.m.
                             Re: better login system?Claude Errera 5/26/05 7:30 a.m.
                                   Re: better login system?Bob-B-Q 5/26/05 8:06 a.m.
                                         They are always deleted though *NM*D-M.A. 5/26/05 9:20 a.m.
                                         Re: better login system?Claude Errera 5/26/05 10:24 a.m.
                                               Re: better login system?D-M.A. 5/26/05 11:05 a.m.
                                                     Re: better login system?Jacke 5/26/05 12:04 p.m.
                                                     Re: better login system?Vid Boi 5/26/05 11:30 p.m.
                                                           Re: better login system?Steve Levinson 5/27/05 5:49 a.m.
                                                     A community in decline?Claude Errera 5/27/05 9:40 a.m.
                                                           I completely agree... *NM*Tycho 5/27/05 10:10 a.m.
                                                           Re: A community in decline?D-M.A. 5/27/05 11:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: A community in decline?Bob-B-Q 5/27/05 12:17 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A community in decline?Jacke 5/27/05 12:40 p.m.
                                                                       Re: A community in decline?Yossarian 5/27/05 2:04 p.m.
                                                           Re: A community in decline?Steve Levinson 5/27/05 2:08 p.m.
                                                           Re: A community in decline?Vid Boi 5/28/05 11:34 a.m.
                                                                 Very nicely put *NM*Steve Levinson 5/28/05 12:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: A community in decline?Yossarian 6/1/05 8:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A community in decline?Kyjel 6/1/05 8:47 p.m.
                                                                       Re: A community in decline?Steve Levinson 6/2/05 3:59 a.m.
                                                                             Re: A community in decline?Yossarian 6/2/05 9:03 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: A community in decline?Steve Levinson 6/2/05 1:03 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: A community in decline?Yossarian 6/2/05 7:12 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: A community in decline?Syngekhoomei 6/2/05 8:50 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: A community in decline? (OT)Steve Levinson 6/3/05 7:19 a.m.
                                                                                                     The "after" picture nearly made me throw up. *NM*Callie21V 6/6/05 9:00 a.m.
                                   Re: better login system? **OT**Me_43 5/26/05 7:08 p.m.
                                         Mushroom, mushroom! *NM*Vid Boi 5/26/05 11:31 p.m.
                                               Snake! Oh! It's a snake!Forrest of B.org 5/27/05 7:38 a.m.
                             Re: better login system?Speaker-To-Animals 5/26/05 2:24 p.m.
                                   Re: better login system?Forrest of B.org 5/27/05 8:23 a.m.
                       Re: better login system?Hawkeyefile 5/26/05 3:44 p.m.
                             Re: better login system?Bob-B-Q 5/26/05 4:35 p.m.
                                   Re: better login system?Jacke 5/27/05 12:31 a.m.
     Re: better login system?Adam Ashwell 5/25/05 3:29 p.m.
           Can we even CALL it a login system? *NM*Andromeda_5[Kilo] 5/26/05 12:35 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.