/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT Machines
Posted By: Wejam the CarterDate: 2/11/05 7:37 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machines (Kalin Ambrose)

: The Dreadnaughts may not be machines, but that doesn't automatically make the
: Hunters such.
Just so we're all on the same page, you're talking about Juggernauts right? I don't recall fighting any Dreadnaughts in the Game, unless were're talking about an actual Battle ship like K'fiva. Besides if Juggernauts do indeed require a pilot, why wouldn't Pfhor armor suits which, for reasons I'll explain below, are far more complex?

The gooey stuff could easily be oil
Then why don't the other Non-organic machines produce a similar goo?

and we must remember
: that there were deactivated Hunters in "Pfhor Your Eyes Only..."
: which makes me think they are waiting to be turned on.

The actual name given for that sprite, according to the Marathon Shapes Editer (may not be the exact name) is "Empty Armor" . So that's probably what Bungie intended it to represent. It is interesting however that Bungie made an independent sprite for this in M1, but in M? they sacrificed actual Hunters to reprensent empty or deactivated armor, complete with explosive effects and blood. This is just my cynical nature but personally I always wrote that off as laziness and/or carelessness on Bungie's part.

Also under the
: Pfhor section someone mentioned the terminal that includes the words
: "Have you tried your new fusion gun against the armored Pfhor hunters
: yet? My S'pht rebuilt it with the sole purpose of short- circuiting
: Pfhor-built machinery." That may be the strongest evidence really for
: the mechanized Hunters idea.

Yes but if you remember the Fusion gun has roughly the same effect on Vac-Bobs which, I'm sure we can all agree are not Machines. Admittedly I'm pretty sure the Bobs don't have the same, if any shrapnel effect when going in into hard death, but Have much heavier armor combined with an integrated shoulder cannon which probably contains its own power source.

Also I'm pretty sure I've said this before somewhere, but I think it should also be considered that if indeed Hunters are machines, they are completely unlike any other machines produced by the Pfhor. The claim seems to be that Hunters are androids (Robots made to look like a man…er, or a Pfhor). With the possible exception of Simulacrums there are no other Pfhor build machines that utilize Bipedal movement. Drones and Juggies hover, while Cyborgs use a tank tread pretty primative modes of conveiance compaired to considerably more complex coordination and balance necessary for controlling two legs effectively. We already know the Pfhor where not at the top of their game as far as AI is concerned, but even if they were able to create an AI for a robot Hunter what would be the point when they can just strap a living, breathing, and most importantly thinking, Pfhor into some high tech armor.
Also taking asthetics into account The hunter is a sleek, shiny well tailored killing "machine", while the Cyborg tank, which should be the technological peer of an eleged robot hunter, is a crude, unstable, malfunctioning abomination. How could the same army with the same technology create such fundementally different machines? Why make cyborgs at all when you could just outfit Hunterbots with the same weapons. It seems clear to me that the hunters are not machines, just heavily armored Pfhor.

I'm Almost out of Breath, here, so I'll wait for a response before get even further into this.

Drive Your Cart and Plow Over the Bones of the Dead Disscussion Topics
Wejam the Carter

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesKalin Ambrose 2/11/05 11:12 a.m.
     Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesSteve Levinson 2/11/05 12:21 p.m.
           Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesblake37 2/11/05 12:50 p.m.
                 Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesluke9 2/11/05 2:32 p.m.
                       Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesKalin Ambrose 2/11/05 3:03 p.m.
                             Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesRyokoTK 2/11/05 3:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesKalin Ambrose 2/11/05 4:14 p.m.
                                         Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesblake37 2/11/05 4:42 p.m.
                                               Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesthermoplyae 2/11/05 5:56 p.m.
                                                     Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesblake37 2/11/05 5:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesthermoplyae 2/12/05 11:14 a.m.
                                               Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesThe Wise Fool 7/13/05 4:50 p.m.
                                                     Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachineseX brutaLis 7/13/05 6:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesBob-B-Q 7/14/05 2:34 p.m.
                                                                 Let this thread die Die DIE! *NM*Steve Levinson 7/14/05 3:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachineseX brutaLis 7/14/05 8:30 p.m.
                                                     Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesme_43 7/15/05 12:17 a.m.
                                                           Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachineseX brutaLis 7/15/05 11:32 a.m.
                                   Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesthermoplyae 2/11/05 4:41 p.m.
                                   Re: Hunters ARE Indeed Machinesdirect tv 3/6/05 7:14 a.m.
                             For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachinesWejam the Carter 2/11/05 7:37 p.m.
                                   Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachCheerful 2/11/05 9:09 p.m.
                                         Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachForrest of B.org 2/11/05 10:13 p.m.
                                               Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachKalin Ambrose 2/11/05 10:27 p.m.
                                                     Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachKalin Ambrose 2/11/05 10:38 p.m.
                                                           Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachWejam the Carter 2/12/05 9:47 a.m.
                                                                 Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachPfhorgetLeela 2/12/05 10:27 a.m.
                                                                 Re: prisms!•M 3/6/05 10:16 a.m.
                                                                       Re: prisms!Bob-B-Q 3/6/05 10:47 a.m.
                                                                       Re: prisms!Me_43 3/6/05 1:42 p.m.
                                                                       Re: prisms!Forrest of B.org 3/6/05 5:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachJacke 2/12/05 12:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachTyler 2/12/05 11:14 a.m.
                                   Re: For the last time! Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachSliver 2/24/05 12:10 a.m.
                                         Interesting. *NM*Andrew Nagy 2/26/05 10:20 a.m.
                                               Re: Interesting.sliver 3/8/05 11:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: Interesting.luke9 3/8/05 3:14 p.m.
                                                           Re: Interesting.luke9 3/8/05 3:19 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Interesting.sliver 3/9/05 1:00 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Interesting.tcm 3/9/05 6:18 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Interesting.sliver 3/10/05 5:09 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Interesting.Andrew Nagy 3/9/05 6:21 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Interesting.Forrest of B.org 3/9/05 5:32 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Interesting.Forrest of B.org 3/9/05 5:33 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Interesting.Bob-B-Q 3/10/05 3:22 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Interesting.sliver 3/10/05 5:03 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Interesting.blake37 3/10/05 10:57 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Interesting.Andrew Nagy 3/9/05 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Interesting.Lunair 3/10/05 6:50 a.m.
     Re: Hunters ARE Indeed MachinesVid Boi 2/14/05 12:16 p.m.
     Re: Hunters ARE Indeed NOT MachinesMister Chief 2/18/05 3:01 p.m.
           Re: Hunters ARE Indeed NOT Machinestcm 2/18/05 3:09 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.