/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

More pointless flames against Scumbag; ignore *NM*
Posted By: Andrew NagyDate: 7/14/04 8:56 a.m.

In Response To: Too busy to quote everyone in different posts (Scumbag)

: Non-quantitive = irrelevent. Lots of people use non-quantitive things (like
: telling me System Shock 2 is a good game, hah) to explain away a complete
: lack of sales.

Amazing how you can tell exactly how good it SS2 without ever playing it. All you have to do is look at the decisions of millions of other gamers who never played it either. (We could have downloaded the demo, but I didn't, and I'm probably in the majority.)

If you're American, you must not be planning to vote this November either. Since the majority is always right, you wouldn't want your silly, non-quantitative opinion to interfere with their perfect decision.

: I've played computer games for quite a long time. But unlike some, when
: something new and better comes along, I have no problems with labeling
: what came before as inferior. Nostalgia or for those who can't - or won't
: - move on.

Except when the an game sells more than a new one. For example, Fugitive Hunter vs Quake 1, Aquaman vs Half-Life, or possibly Myth III vs Myth II. Aquaman wasn't bad because it was buggy, stupid and un-fun, it was bad because it didn't sell well.

So what if a newer game with sprite-based characters (like Myth II or Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds) outsold an older game with polygons (like Grim Fandango, Star Wars Force Commander, or Weekend Warrior)? Would you concede that the sprite-based game was better, or concede that people bought an inferior game?

The Gameboy Advance has always had nothing but old-school SNES-era games, like Doom, Mario, Sonic, Metroid, and Castlevania. You labeled those as inferior many years ago, but now they're back, and probably selling better than ever. That's a lot of people who can't - or won't - move on.

: Commercial products. Commercial judgement critera. Anything else is silly.

That's a glib wordplay, not a logical deduction.

And, just to be clear, it's obvious to everyone here at B'org that your judgement criteria are way sillier than ours.

What about a mod that requires a commercial game? How do you compare sales figures to download figures and determine which is better?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon standard I'm confused aboutScumbag 7/10/04 11:00 a.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutBob-B-Q 7/10/04 1:19 p.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutForrest of B.org 7/10/04 1:23 p.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutJoshua Bell 7/10/04 1:26 p.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutukimalefu 7/10/04 9:25 p.m.
                 Actually...Scumbag 7/11/04 9:28 p.m.
                       Re: Actually...Johannes Gunnar 7/12/04 6:15 a.m.
                       Re: Actually...Steve Levinson 7/12/04 9:07 a.m.
                             Re: Actually...Yossarian 7/12/04 9:12 a.m.
                                   Re: Actually...Steve Levinson 7/12/04 10:12 a.m.
                             Re: Actually...•M 7/12/04 12:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Actually...Forrest of B.org 7/12/04 10:07 p.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutAndrew Nagy 7/13/04 11:04 a.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutJohannes Gunnar 7/13/04 2:19 p.m.
           Response to everyone aboveScumbag 7/13/04 4:21 p.m.
                 Oh, and some other thingsScumbag 7/13/04 4:24 p.m.
                       You done it now... *NM*deathmonger 7/13/04 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: You done it now...Andrew Nagy 7/13/04 5:37 p.m.
                                   NO POINT, I said. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 7:24 a.m.
                                         I agree, but who are you to ORDER us not to reply? *NM*Steve Levinson 7/14/04 8:10 a.m.
                                               I'm Rick James, biotch. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 9:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: I'm Rick James, biotch.Mark Levin 7/14/04 9:39 a.m.
                                                           Well, no. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 10:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: I'm Rick James, biotch.Andrew Nagy 8/5/04 8:24 p.m.
                       Re: Oh, and some other thingsForrest of B.org 7/13/04 5:53 p.m.
                             Too busy to quote everyone in different postsScumbag 7/13/04 9:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsHolyMcGibblets 7/13/04 10:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsForrest of B.org 7/14/04 7:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsHolyMcGibblets 7/14/04 1:40 p.m.
                                   Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsCount Zero 7/13/04 10:54 p.m.
                                   Let's give this guy a break, but watch your wordsSteve Levinson 7/14/04 8:27 a.m.
                                   More pointless flames against Scumbag; ignore *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 8:56 a.m.
                                   Another questionAndrew Nagy 7/14/04 9:12 a.m.
                                   Marathon: Resurrection! *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/15/04 2:09 a.m.
                       Just to clarify the numbers gameSteve Levinson 7/13/04 5:57 p.m.
                       Re: Oh, and some other thingsSyngekhoomei 7/13/04 9:02 p.m.
                             Re: Oh, and some other thingsukimalefu 7/14/04 1:04 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, and some other thingsJohannes Gunnar 7/14/04 4:54 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, and some other thingsLt Devon 7/15/04 4:57 p.m.
                                         Re: Oh, and some other thingsSimon of team Sigma 7/15/04 6:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.