/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Let's give this guy a break, but watch your words
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/14/04 8:27 a.m.

In Response To: Too busy to quote everyone in different posts (Scumbag)

: 2D sprites are backward. Unnacceptable, in this day and age, for me. A few
: years ago, ok, I might have tolerable of them. Heck, I played ROTT a while
: back.

There are many people, some of them I'm sure who regularly post to this forum, who would never consider watching a black and white movie. That's too bad, as some of the greatest movies ever made were in B&W - almost all the great Hitchcock movies for example. Come to think of it, Schindler's List was filmed in B&W even in this day and age, and it won the Academy Award.

The point I'm making is that technology may become outdated by current standards, but to say it is unacceptable is to say that nothing from the past is worthwhile. You may not feel it worthwhile to play Marathon because the graphics suck by today's standards. I agree with you on that. But I still play it because I enjoy playing it - the story is superb and the gameplay is kick-ass. You're welcome to your opinion and the members of this forum shouldn't harass you for it, but you really should watch how you put it. If Bungie were to release a game today using 2D sprites, that might be unacceptable unless there were a good reason. Look at Oni - Anime is very retro - totally 2D, but that's the point. The reason people are still arguing with you is that you seem to imply that Marathon has no worth today because 2D sprites are unacceptable. If you dont' want to play it, don't play it, but don't then claim to be an expert on the story because you've read the story page. Trust us when the experts tell you that you can't get everything from the story page.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon standard I'm confused aboutScumbag 7/10/04 11:00 a.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutBob-B-Q 7/10/04 1:19 p.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutForrest of B.org 7/10/04 1:23 p.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutJoshua Bell 7/10/04 1:26 p.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutukimalefu 7/10/04 9:25 p.m.
                 Actually...Scumbag 7/11/04 9:28 p.m.
                       Re: Actually...Johannes Gunnar 7/12/04 6:15 a.m.
                       Re: Actually...Steve Levinson 7/12/04 9:07 a.m.
                             Re: Actually...Yossarian 7/12/04 9:12 a.m.
                                   Re: Actually...Steve Levinson 7/12/04 10:12 a.m.
                             Re: Actually...•M 7/12/04 12:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Actually...Forrest of B.org 7/12/04 10:07 p.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutAndrew Nagy 7/13/04 11:04 a.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutJohannes Gunnar 7/13/04 2:19 p.m.
           Response to everyone aboveScumbag 7/13/04 4:21 p.m.
                 Oh, and some other thingsScumbag 7/13/04 4:24 p.m.
                       You done it now... *NM*deathmonger 7/13/04 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: You done it now...Andrew Nagy 7/13/04 5:37 p.m.
                                   NO POINT, I said. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 7:24 a.m.
                                         I agree, but who are you to ORDER us not to reply? *NM*Steve Levinson 7/14/04 8:10 a.m.
                                               I'm Rick James, biotch. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 9:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: I'm Rick James, biotch.Mark Levin 7/14/04 9:39 a.m.
                                                           Well, no. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 10:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: I'm Rick James, biotch.Andrew Nagy 8/5/04 8:24 p.m.
                       Re: Oh, and some other thingsForrest of B.org 7/13/04 5:53 p.m.
                             Too busy to quote everyone in different postsScumbag 7/13/04 9:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsHolyMcGibblets 7/13/04 10:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsForrest of B.org 7/14/04 7:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsHolyMcGibblets 7/14/04 1:40 p.m.
                                   Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsCount Zero 7/13/04 10:54 p.m.
                                   Let's give this guy a break, but watch your wordsSteve Levinson 7/14/04 8:27 a.m.
                                   More pointless flames against Scumbag; ignore *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 8:56 a.m.
                                   Another questionAndrew Nagy 7/14/04 9:12 a.m.
                                   Marathon: Resurrection! *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/15/04 2:09 a.m.
                       Just to clarify the numbers gameSteve Levinson 7/13/04 5:57 p.m.
                       Re: Oh, and some other thingsSyngekhoomei 7/13/04 9:02 p.m.
                             Re: Oh, and some other thingsukimalefu 7/14/04 1:04 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, and some other thingsJohannes Gunnar 7/14/04 4:54 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, and some other thingsLt Devon 7/15/04 4:57 p.m.
                                         Re: Oh, and some other thingsSimon of team Sigma 7/15/04 6:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.