/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Too busy to quote everyone in different posts
Posted By: ScumbagDate: 7/13/04 9:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Oh, and some other things (Forrest of B.org)

:The technology is only 'backwards' to someone new to the field who does not appreciate where the modern games he loves come from and the rich history behind them.

What kind of nonsense is this? "You don't like horribly outdated graphics, you must be a newb gamer"?

2D sprites are backward. Unnacceptable, in this day and age, for me. A few years ago, ok, I might have tolerable of them. Heck, I played ROTT a while back.

:(in a non-quantitative way)

Non-quantitive = irrelevent. Lots of people use non-quantitive things (like telling me System Shock 2 is a good game, hah) to explain away a complete lack of sales.

:Only to a newcomer to the field who doesn't appreciate what came before his favorite games and the rich history of videogaming

Is *that* all you have? Claim I'm a "newcomer to the field"?

I've played computer games for quite a long time. But unlike some, when something new and better comes along, I have no problems with labeling what came before as inferior. Nostalgia or for those who can't - or won't - move on.

:Marathon introduced a whole slew of the new things it introduced to gaming that much later hit the mainstream

Whoop-de-doo. Its irrelevent who made something first. Only who made something that grabbed the audience for the first time. Does the common consumer think of Marathon when he or she thinks of dual wielding? Non-deathmatch multiplayer? co-op play?

Rise of the Triad had Jump Pads before any other game. Nobody remembers ROTT.

:And the of course there's the biggest point of this whole message, that sales alone, or graphics alone, or any one variable alone does not make a game on the whole better or worse than any other.

Commercial products. Commercial judgement critera. Anything else is silly.

:if you're still willing to give the game a shot.

I fought the controls for 10 levels, discovered nothing I didn't know from reading the Terminals and the Marathon Story Page. There's no reason to. Realizing the game was old enough that it wouldn't have anything I can miss (like cutscenes or like) tends to discourage someone. Asked a question about the only thing I had, got into a flamewar because, while interesting, Marathon doesn't suit me. God forbid.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon standard I'm confused aboutScumbag 7/10/04 11:00 a.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutBob-B-Q 7/10/04 1:19 p.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutForrest of B.org 7/10/04 1:23 p.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutJoshua Bell 7/10/04 1:26 p.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutukimalefu 7/10/04 9:25 p.m.
                 Actually...Scumbag 7/11/04 9:28 p.m.
                       Re: Actually...Johannes Gunnar 7/12/04 6:15 a.m.
                       Re: Actually...Steve Levinson 7/12/04 9:07 a.m.
                             Re: Actually...Yossarian 7/12/04 9:12 a.m.
                                   Re: Actually...Steve Levinson 7/12/04 10:12 a.m.
                             Re: Actually...•M 7/12/04 12:28 p.m.
                                   Re: Actually...Forrest of B.org 7/12/04 10:07 p.m.
     Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutAndrew Nagy 7/13/04 11:04 a.m.
           Re: Marathon standard I'm confused aboutJohannes Gunnar 7/13/04 2:19 p.m.
           Response to everyone aboveScumbag 7/13/04 4:21 p.m.
                 Oh, and some other thingsScumbag 7/13/04 4:24 p.m.
                       You done it now... *NM*deathmonger 7/13/04 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: You done it now...Andrew Nagy 7/13/04 5:37 p.m.
                                   NO POINT, I said. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 7:24 a.m.
                                         I agree, but who are you to ORDER us not to reply? *NM*Steve Levinson 7/14/04 8:10 a.m.
                                               I'm Rick James, biotch. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 9:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: I'm Rick James, biotch.Mark Levin 7/14/04 9:39 a.m.
                                                           Well, no. *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 10:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: I'm Rick James, biotch.Andrew Nagy 8/5/04 8:24 p.m.
                       Re: Oh, and some other thingsForrest of B.org 7/13/04 5:53 p.m.
                             Too busy to quote everyone in different postsScumbag 7/13/04 9:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsHolyMcGibblets 7/13/04 10:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsForrest of B.org 7/14/04 7:49 a.m.
                                               Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsHolyMcGibblets 7/14/04 1:40 p.m.
                                   Re: Too busy to quote everyone in different postsCount Zero 7/13/04 10:54 p.m.
                                   Let's give this guy a break, but watch your wordsSteve Levinson 7/14/04 8:27 a.m.
                                   More pointless flames against Scumbag; ignore *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/14/04 8:56 a.m.
                                   Another questionAndrew Nagy 7/14/04 9:12 a.m.
                                   Marathon: Resurrection! *NM*Andrew Nagy 7/15/04 2:09 a.m.
                       Just to clarify the numbers gameSteve Levinson 7/13/04 5:57 p.m.
                       Re: Oh, and some other thingsSyngekhoomei 7/13/04 9:02 p.m.
                             Re: Oh, and some other thingsukimalefu 7/14/04 1:04 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, and some other thingsJohannes Gunnar 7/14/04 4:54 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh, and some other thingsLt Devon 7/15/04 4:57 p.m.
                                         Re: Oh, and some other thingsSimon of team Sigma 7/15/04 6:05 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.