/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atom
Posted By: Mark LevinDate: 6/17/04 10:26 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atom (Forrest of B.org)

: When it comes down to it the problem is ultimately an informational one, not
: a physical one. Before we can do any of this, or something like
: replication (a closely related technology), we need atomic (or subatomic)
: level fully 3D scanners, such that you could record the position of every
: particle, including it's exact position and velocity, and it's a physical
: impossibility to know both at once... so basically it can't be done. I'm
: much more interested in personal wormholes or FTL systems, allowing one to
: move in distorted time or space... could make for some fun bullet-time
: moves, too :-)

I think a bigger problem is, what happens to your consciousness during the teleportation? Would the person who went through the teleporter be aware that he had arrived, or would his mind have been dissipated by the process of reducing him to bits or disconnected atoms and a new clone created at the destination? Even if "real" teleportation is invented and made totally reliable within my lifetime, I would not use it for this reason (the fact that the resulting clone of me would make exactly the same decisions as me and live out the rest of his life as I would is cold comfort).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomsSteve Levinson 6/17/04 4:43 a.m.
     Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomBill 6/17/04 7:18 a.m.
           Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomForrest of B.org 6/17/04 8:19 a.m.
                 Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomMark Levin 6/17/04 10:26 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomBob-B-Q 6/17/04 10:34 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomEnkidu 6/17/04 11:16 a.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomSteve Levinson 6/17/04 3:14 p.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomForrest of B.org 6/17/04 11:17 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomErnie 6/17/04 11:32 a.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomMe_43 6/17/04 11:44 a.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atomukimalefu 6/17/04 12:01 p.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomTraxis_Spawn 6/18/04 3:30 a.m.
                                   Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atomgoran 6/18/04 4:56 a.m.
                                         sorry, wrong name.goran 6/18/04 4:59 a.m.
                 Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomMe_43 6/17/04 11:35 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomForrest of B.org 6/17/04 12:44 p.m.
     Fascinating . . . But i'm not gonna be . . . .Jäger 6/17/04 1:43 p.m.
           I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Bill 6/17/04 4:14 p.m.
                 Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.ukimalefu 6/17/04 8:35 p.m.
                       10 Inventions You're Not Supposed To Know Aboutukimalefu 6/17/04 8:51 p.m.
                             Re: 10 Inventions You're Not Supposed To Know AbouJäger 6/18/04 8:50 a.m.
                 Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Traxis_Spawn 6/18/04 3:39 a.m.
                       Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Steve Levinson 6/18/04 6:15 a.m.
                             Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Traxis_Spawn 6/18/04 9:11 p.m.
     I want to be the first human test subject! :D *NM*D-M.A. 6/18/04 4:50 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.