/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atom
Posted By: Traxis_SpawnDate: 6/18/04 3:30 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atom (Ernie)

: I would think the process would be akin to an mind altering drug experience.
: Lucid, or some feeling like the walls of perception fall away. Perhaps
: this would be the only way our human mind could comprehend a transfer like
: teleportation.
:

: Even if "real" teleportation is invented and made totally reliable
: within my lifetime, I would not use it for this reason (the fact that the
: resulting clone of me would make exactly the same decisions as me and live
: out the rest of his life as I would is cold comfort).

: Curious... if a person was teleported, would the "resulting clone"
: on the other end have a soul? - If one believes in such things. (if not
: "soul", then "animating spark", or whatever causes our
: brains to retain their level of activity).

: That, Mark I find a scarier concept than having a duplicate of myself living
: elsewhere. That is, if the equation was left unbalanced, and teleportation
: was simply sending a copy of one pattern to another location + assembly.

: -Blane [ernie]

Conciuosness is an emergent property. Translation: if you could 'build' a person, and get it up to spec in every reguard physically, then conciousness would show up at the party simply because you had all those different systems working together. The spark, katra, chi, soul, or whatever the frack else you want to call it is made of the interconnections, the fact that you have built a system that makes it possible allows it to happen, wether you know how to create it or not.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomsSteve Levinson 6/17/04 4:43 a.m.
     Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomBill 6/17/04 7:18 a.m.
           Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomForrest of B.org 6/17/04 8:19 a.m.
                 Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomMark Levin 6/17/04 10:26 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomBob-B-Q 6/17/04 10:34 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomEnkidu 6/17/04 11:16 a.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomSteve Levinson 6/17/04 3:14 p.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomForrest of B.org 6/17/04 11:17 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomErnie 6/17/04 11:32 a.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomMe_43 6/17/04 11:44 a.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atomukimalefu 6/17/04 12:01 p.m.
                             Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomTraxis_Spawn 6/18/04 3:30 a.m.
                                   Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atomgoran 6/18/04 4:56 a.m.
                                         sorry, wrong name.goran 6/18/04 4:59 a.m.
                 Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomMe_43 6/17/04 11:35 a.m.
                       Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with AtomForrest of B.org 6/17/04 12:44 p.m.
     Fascinating . . . But i'm not gonna be . . . .Jäger 6/17/04 1:43 p.m.
           I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Bill 6/17/04 4:14 p.m.
                 Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.ukimalefu 6/17/04 8:35 p.m.
                       10 Inventions You're Not Supposed To Know Aboutukimalefu 6/17/04 8:51 p.m.
                             Re: 10 Inventions You're Not Supposed To Know AbouJäger 6/18/04 8:50 a.m.
                 Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Traxis_Spawn 6/18/04 3:39 a.m.
                       Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Steve Levinson 6/18/04 6:15 a.m.
                             Re: I don't want to end up as an android's cat.Traxis_Spawn 6/18/04 9:11 p.m.
     I want to be the first human test subject! :D *NM*D-M.A. 6/18/04 4:50 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.