/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 4/10/04 10:27 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft) (Yossarian)

: In a vacuum, then I'd agree with you, before my eyeballs explode and I die of
: suffocation. No, that's not right, I mean, with your assumption in vacuum,
: then the safe answer is false. This brings up two points to my mind: The
: first being, what is your major "goal" in all of this? To
: validate all you hyptheses of reality? I'm not arguing about the nobility
: of that, I merely tend to believe that it is a function that is more
: instinctual than cognitive.

I had these thoughts at random eating dinner a few months ago. I felt maybe I should write them down. This thread somehow seemed relevant. The endpoints about balance being good is the main relevant point; all the discussion about reality is more a preface.

: My other point here being that most always, assumptions aren't made in a
: vacuum; there is secondary data from past experiences that are similar,
: but not identical. Just because you have never driven a Ford Explorer
: doesn't mean you assume that you can't. Since you have driven other types
: of vehicles, you can be reasonably confident that you can indeed drive a
: Ford Explorer, all you need do now is actually do it in order to validate
: the "rule". In fact, I challenge anyone to come up with a real
: life situation in which secondary or prior logic cannot be utilized.

Which is why I have that clause about deduction from prior experience. I can say that I can PROBABLY drive a Ford Explorer, so long as it is an automatic, because I have a basic knowledge of common automatic vehicle controls. There could be something in a Ford Explorer that I don't know about that could totally throw that off, though.

: Both of these statements are arguable. If I've experienced everything I can
: experience then I have therefore experienced everything, because if I
: didn't experience it, then I couldn't have.

That statement seems circular somehow but I'm too tired to verify that.

: Also, what reality can be more accurate than the only one we know? Since it
: is the only reality available to us, it is the most accurate and
: inaccurate at the same time. I do not think that accuracy and reality are
: compatible. Human recollections being what they are...

That's what this whole first part is about... how to best figure out between our senses and our reason what is "actually" real.

: I fail to grasp a couple of things in the preceding paragraph. First, what is
: "informational size"? Do you refer to the "brainspace"
: required to store the memory of an experience? The fact of the matter here
: is that different memories would take up different amounts of space, not
: only because of the *duration* of the memory, but also the *quality*.

I'm operating on the premise that the universe itself can be considered an informational construct - not neccesarily that we are In The Matrix or any such, just that reality can be represented as a set of information. And because a set cannot contain a larger set than itself, the set of information that is "me" cannot contain the set of information which is "everything", because "everything" includes "me" plus a bunch of other stuff, and is therefore larger than me.

: Let's go back to the analogy of you driving a Ford Explorer and living to
: tell about it: 1. Foborg gets into a Ford Explorer and starts the Engine.
: He cannot "reasonably back an assertion of faith" that he can
: actually drive it, "though [he] may be able to infer the probable
: truth through experience". Cool. So, like we discussed, he can
: probably drive it.

: 2. However, Foborg "cannot experientially disprove any such assertion
: either". This is to say, he cannot disprove the fact that he can
: drive it.

: 3. The result: Foborg can both neither drive nor not drive the Ford Explorer.

Wrong. The result is, I do not know whether or not I can drive the Ford Explorer. I can PROBABLY drive it as per 1. Number 2 simply says you or I can't disprove, just sitting here, that I can drive it. If I actually get in it and discover that there's something that keeps me from driving it, then we know. But until then, we can only gauge probability, not fact.

This is the same argument that an agnostic would make about God. With all the "probablies" in the world, theists cannot PROVE absolutely that God does exist. At the same time, atheists can never PROVE that he does NOT exist. What it comes down to is until we actually test the problem (search the entire universe for God, which we've already shown to be impossible, and I intend to illustrate further on in a later part of this), it's impossible to know for sure whether or not. Just that he probably does/doesn't exist.

: Yeah, but when does this ever happen? Do we wait until the next
: "step" in human evolution? When does the safe answer become
: anything but "I lack the necessary logic and perception to answer
: that to a satsifactory degree of accuracy". The problem here is that
: advocates of faith will argue that they do indeed have experiential
: evidence in favor of their arguments. I once had a friend that swore he
: felt the hand of god on his shoulder when he got into a car accident (they
: were the thing to do back home). Of course, he later admitted he was on
: cocaine at the time.

: It is the very malleability of reality that makes it so weak and is pimped
: out so often by the zealots of...faith and reason.

To people who have actually experienced some proof of God's existance or what not, and don't have counterexperience or reason to rule it out, I say all the power to ya. Believe in what you have sensed and reasoned. But unless you can share that same experience with me, and nothing in my head can rule it out, you're not going to be able to prove it to me.

: Is it? Or does it cheapen happiness, and by extension, morality? I don't
: think morality boils down to happiness, being more the the
: socio-biological school of thought I would argue that morality is a
: structure of judgement of interpersonal actions that most benefit the
: existence of the owner of that structure.

But how do you define "benefit"? That's really what it comes down to. Yes, morality, and good, is what causes benefits. A personal moral structure, sure, may benefit you personally more. But a "better", or more moral, structure would be that which benefits more people, more often.

I think our point of contention here comes down to you taking a personal, selfish, power-based view of morality - that is, what is good or bad is determined by whoever is in power, and I can agree that what people THINK is good or bad is determined by such - while I am trying my best to objectively define what would be best for the most, the longest.

: The point being what? What if making more people happy is an immoral thing,
: or is against my personal or political goals? Which morality takes
: precedence? People like Big Macs, they think they are good and they make
: those people happy to eat them. Big Macs are unhealthy. It is moral to let
: them have Big Macs and it is immoral to allow people to have things that
: are knowingly unhealthy.

It's exactly questions like this that made me throw in the time clause. Will eating Big Macs for 40 years and being generally satisfied by them account for 20 years of horrible pain and suffering as that person's arteries clog and they wind up bed-ridden for the last miserable years of their life? Or would laying off the Big Macs cause such suffering, or lack of pleasure, during the person's long, healthy life that it's not even worth everything else that healthy life has to offer? It's a tradeoff. These are two extreme examples. The most, longest happiness will probably be found somewhere in the middle.

: Okay, that's not my point here, my point it, is happiness the ultimate goal?

: That's rather vague. Please give an example of all three of these in
: real-life situtions.

Knowledge: This one is actually tricky and I'm considering removing it, because knowledge can also lead to knowledge of desires you otherwise might not know were unsatisfied. (The bane of many geeks in the world... ignorance is bliss). But in general, knowledge makes you more capable of getting the things that make you happy, and certain kinds of knowledge make it more likely that you will make others happy too.

Variety: Easy one - monoculture crops. I had others too but I'm about to pass out here.

Balance: Way too many to name, but generally, look at any axis, and the two extremes are clearly bad. The best solution is almost always in the middle. Too much of anything is bad. "In all things moderation."

: I think you did a good job here of summing up your arguments yet my main
: complaint is that there is no allusion to any practical application of the
: materials herein. That and the dependance on heavily subjective terms
: (though defined) make it a tad shaky.

I have no intention of practially applying this, except as a measure in my own action. I just thought it and so I wrote it down.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

help me out...to read thisgoran 4/4/04 3:04 p.m.
     Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/4/04 6:30 p.m.
           Re: help me out...to read thisukimalefu 4/4/04 8:33 p.m.
                 Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/5/04 12:01 a.m.
                       Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/5/04 6:46 p.m.
                             Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 5:16 a.m.
                                   Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 6:54 a.m.
                                         Re: help me out...to read thisJohannes Gunnar 4/6/04 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 9:08 a.m.
                                                     Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 10:21 a.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/6/04 11:51 a.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 2:19 p.m.
                                               Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 9:41 a.m.
                                         Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 9:14 a.m.
                                               Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 10:36 a.m.
                                                     Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/6/04 11:40 a.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/6/04 5:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/6/04 6:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/7/04 7:04 a.m.
                                                                 Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/7/04 8:34 a.m.
                                                                       Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/7/04 10:41 a.m.
                                                                       Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/7/04 10:41 a.m.
                                                                             Appologies for the double-posts...Forrest of B.org 4/7/04 10:42 a.m.
                                                                             Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/7/04 11:36 a.m.
                                                                                   Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Forrest of B.org 4/10/04 12:09 p.m.
                                                                                         Yikes!!! *NM*ukimalefu 4/10/04 4:21 p.m.
                                                                                         I'll wait for Cliff's Notes *NM*Siphonopho 4/10/04 7:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/10/04 7:51 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Forrest of B.org 4/10/04 10:27 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/11/04 2:55 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Forrest of B.org 4/12/04 8:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/12/04 4:41 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Elliott 4/11/04 5:24 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/11/04 7:04 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Elliott 4/11/04 10:25 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Lt Devon 4/10/04 9:55 p.m.
                                                                                               INRTLB :-P *NM*ukimalefu 4/11/04 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                         You have a lot of mental energy.K-chi 4/11/04 1:19 p.m.
           Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/5/04 12:32 a.m.
                 Re: help me out...to read thisukimalefu 4/5/04 5:10 p.m.
                       THE MATRIX HAS YOU!ukimalefu 4/6/04 11:18 a.m.
     Re: help me out...to read thisVid Boi 4/6/04 2:04 p.m.
           Re: help me out...to read thisJohannes Gunnar 4/6/04 3:14 p.m.
                 Re: help me out...to read thisAdam Ashwell 4/6/04 4:19 p.m.
                 Army of Darkness *NM*Yossarian 4/6/04 4:30 p.m.
                       But originally from The Day the Earth Stood Still *NM*the Battle Cat 4/7/04 6:37 a.m.
                             One of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time *NM*Steve Levinson 4/7/04 8:22 a.m.
                 Myth II: Soulblighter. The Deceiver. [no message] *NM*Andrew Nagy 4/7/04 5:14 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.