/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: help me out...to read this
Posted By: YossarianDate: 4/6/04 11:51 a.m.

In Response To: Re: help me out...to read this (Steve Levinson)

: BTW, being able to sense someone's brainwaves is the equivalent
: of being able to see your flashlight beam reflected off the surface of the
: moon.

Interesting analogy. I've had similar experiences to those ecplained in the thread, though mine were brought on by music, and I think the general principal works for everyone here.

Being spiritually dead, I tend to think that there's not so much something mystic at foot here as there is psychological. What I read about the whole shebang was that this "traveling" is the cause of sensory deprivation. Humans, being beasts of communication and reliant on sensory stimuli for survival cannot go very long without it. Therefore, when you cut of external stimuli by either forcing yourself to concentrate via meditation, listening to music (eyes close, earphones like a true audiophile), or just reflecting on inner thoughts, your brain is forced to rely on *internal* stimuli.

It's like taking your eyes, ears, mouth, and nose and turning them around 180 degrees into your brain. You see what you think you see. You hear what you think you hear. The stimulation is real, but the source is internal. This is what Hindus often refer to as samahdi, I think, and, like Steve said, after practice you can go deeper and experience, literally, anything you can imagine.

As for hearing unfamiliar words, who's to say where those get picked up and how long you store them and what jiggles them loose...the brain is an amazing storage unit, always working on puzzles and trying to get things to fit and perfecting your own personal logic. Consciousness is just a part of comprehension...well, as they say in Rubicon, you can't see the eye you see with...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

help me out...to read thisgoran 4/4/04 3:04 p.m.
     Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/4/04 6:30 p.m.
           Re: help me out...to read thisukimalefu 4/4/04 8:33 p.m.
                 Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/5/04 12:01 a.m.
                       Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/5/04 6:46 p.m.
                             Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 5:16 a.m.
                                   Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 6:54 a.m.
                                         Re: help me out...to read thisJohannes Gunnar 4/6/04 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 9:08 a.m.
                                                     Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 10:21 a.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/6/04 11:51 a.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 2:19 p.m.
                                               Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 9:41 a.m.
                                         Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/6/04 9:14 a.m.
                                               Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/6/04 10:36 a.m.
                                                     Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/6/04 11:40 a.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/6/04 5:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: help me out...to read thisYossarian 4/6/04 6:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/7/04 7:04 a.m.
                                                                 Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/7/04 8:34 a.m.
                                                                       Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/7/04 10:41 a.m.
                                                                       Re: help me out...to read thisForrest of B.org 4/7/04 10:41 a.m.
                                                                             Appologies for the double-posts...Forrest of B.org 4/7/04 10:42 a.m.
                                                                             Re: help me out...to read thisSteve Levinson 4/7/04 11:36 a.m.
                                                                                   Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Forrest of B.org 4/10/04 12:09 p.m.
                                                                                         Yikes!!! *NM*ukimalefu 4/10/04 4:21 p.m.
                                                                                         I'll wait for Cliff's Notes *NM*Siphonopho 4/10/04 7:34 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/10/04 7:51 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Forrest of B.org 4/10/04 10:27 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/11/04 2:55 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Forrest of B.org 4/12/04 8:13 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/12/04 4:41 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Elliott 4/11/04 5:24 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Yossarian 4/11/04 7:04 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Elliott 4/11/04 10:25 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Fobo's "Philosophy..." (part 1 rough draft)Lt Devon 4/10/04 9:55 p.m.
                                                                                               INRTLB :-P *NM*ukimalefu 4/11/04 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                         You have a lot of mental energy.K-chi 4/11/04 1:19 p.m.
           Re: help me out...to read thisgoran 4/5/04 12:32 a.m.
                 Re: help me out...to read thisukimalefu 4/5/04 5:10 p.m.
                       THE MATRIX HAS YOU!ukimalefu 4/6/04 11:18 a.m.
     Re: help me out...to read thisVid Boi 4/6/04 2:04 p.m.
           Re: help me out...to read thisJohannes Gunnar 4/6/04 3:14 p.m.
                 Re: help me out...to read thisAdam Ashwell 4/6/04 4:19 p.m.
                 Army of Darkness *NM*Yossarian 4/6/04 4:30 p.m.
                       But originally from The Day the Earth Stood Still *NM*the Battle Cat 4/7/04 6:37 a.m.
                             One of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time *NM*Steve Levinson 4/7/04 8:22 a.m.
                 Myth II: Soulblighter. The Deceiver. [no message] *NM*Andrew Nagy 4/7/04 5:14 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.