Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*
Posted By: pile o' nadesDate: 12/7/04 9:57 a.m.

Dropships

I believe it was said in a Bungie Weekly Update that we would be able to destroy both Covenant and Human Dropships. Unfortunately, this turned out not to be the case. Why not be able to kill a Phantom with the tank with enough shells? Would the covenant spawn later anyway? Could this not be fixed? Why not?

It was also said by Bungie on several occaisions(sp?) that we would not be able to fly the dropships. Unfortunately, this turned out to be true as well. Even if we only got to do it once in the whole game, it would have pwned. Why not, on High Charity, fly to the Forerunner Ship in a Phantom instead of going through the energy conduit? BTW, Cortana mentions the conduit at the beginning of the level. Was that the whole point of the level? There was an extra Phantom just sitting there that MC could've taken.

Trickety Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick

Sword Flying? Come on Bungie, you are making this way too f*cking easy. Get a red reticule with any weapon, press Y + Trigger quickly and you go sailing 200 ft without being hindered by gravity? Stupid. I would have limited the distance you could travel to the distance at which the Energy Sword's reticule turns red. When you hit that distance you should fall.

Sputnik grenade jumping and co-op players respawning WITH A GRENADE! Incredibly stupid. We know how to get grenades. By killing marines and using the Catch skull. (does it make marines drop 2 frags?)

How long was it before someone got on top of Delta Halo? I believe it was first done on the 10th of November. And then it was Cairo Station, Outskirts, Metropolis, Quarantine Zone, Gravemind, Uprising, High Charity, and The Great Journey. Remember, Halo 2 has been out for less than one month.

Tricking is supposed to be fun, but easy does not mean fun. Hmmmm.. *walks on top of Delta Halo*. That was not fun. It is not fun because it takes no effort. In Halo 1, It took over a year for the tops of most levels to be conquered, and some tricks were not discovered until the summer of 2004, almost 3 years after Halo 1 came out! Bungie has made it far too easy to do tricks in Halo 2, and insodoing, has ruined tricking in this game. Tricking is ruined because it feels like you are supposed to do it. In Halo 1, tricking was started by the Halo community. In Halo 2 it seems like it was started by Bungie.

Massive Intelligence Underhaul

In Halo 1, The Elites, if they were aware of you, knew if you were sighting them with a sniper scope. Not in Halo 2. On Legendary, to kill a Spec Ops Elite, it takes four headshots to take down his shield and kill him.

Once in Uprising, I had an empty jumpseat on my Spectre that I stole from some Brutes, and this one Elite absolutely refused to get in it.

The Marines suck at driving the Warthog outside of battle. I was on the Gauss Cannon on Metropolis, And he drove pretty good.. until the battle ended. Then he started going in partial cicles and turning randomly, crashing into things.

Dual Weilding & Weapon Trading

Why can't co-op partners trade weapons? I don't mean going up to him and doing it like you would a marine, but if both would hold x, then it would work. Also, why can't I make marines dual-weild? That would have been cool. BTW, did you notice that marines never dual-weild? But Elites do, and I want to give one dual Brute Plasma Rifles. So you would end up without a second weapon for a bit. It wont crash the game. Just get another gun. Also why can't you press x to drop your right-hand gun?

Boarding

I have only one gripe with it. Banshees are too easy to board. I realised this on Metropolis, When I went to get the Scarab Gun. Those dumb Elites just fly right toward you and just let you board them! And they don't even boost into you.

Glitches

Infinite Plasma Sword Glitch? So starting a level with a depleted Plasma Sword makes it have infinite energy? BTW, I tried this with the Plasma Rifle and it does not work. Theoretically, it should though, because they both run on a battery which runs out. Inconsistent.

One time on Outskirts, I traded my Sniper Rifle for a Beam Rifle, and the SR fell out of the level! I was in Sniper Alley and sniping Covenant in the next alley.

Banshee Barriers

I hate them. They are Okay for the top of the level, but not letting me even close to the tunnel is just evil. There is also one on the water preventing you from going underwater.

Mission Impossible

Of course, I am talking about the Second Pelican Bay on Cairo Station on Legendary. It took me about 2 hours to do it. I died about 30 times. Why so fast? Because I had patience. I used the Plasma Pistol + SMG combo to kill one Elite at a time, then quickly hid behind something. I also used plasma greandes on elites whenever possible. There are about 16 available to you, 12 in the Fisrt pelican Bay, up on the catwalk. Those 4 hours seemed like 4 days. It sucked. I have never tried that since. I know I am not the only one. People have posted that it has taken them upwards of 4, 6, 10, 20 hours, and 2, 5, even 10 days.

Curiosity killed the MC

OK, so I have just finished the tunnel after the bridge (on Metropolis), and am going through the sewer pipe that leads to the surface. This is legendary, so I am being very careful as this is a new area and I do not know what enemies are in it.

So I slowly poke my head out of the pipe to look around, when suddenly-- *dies*. ARGHH! I did not see that coming. As I fall down, I see a pink/purple beam fade away. Sniper. So I try again, looking for the sniper. I find one right below my position, at the bottom of the ramp, but it hasnt seen me yet. I kill it. I am killed again. I look in the direction of the beam and find the sniper, and kill it. Then 2 more appear in the same place, quickly snipe them. All of the snipers-- and there are 8 or 9 --are on that one platform, making them *way* too easy to kill once you find them because they all stay in one place. And they have far more cover than you do. All you have is that pipe.

Also, it seems as if they were placed as if they were expecting you to come out of that pipe, when that was another 2 entrances that they leave completely unguarded, and 2 ohter pipes to your right as you come out! Speaking tactically, the Covenant should have realised that you could have come out of there. This point is supported by the fact that the one sniper was placed directly below my position.

I would have had 3/4 snipers on top of the walls looking at all 5 entrances. One would be by the Catch skull.

The last levels of the game

OK, there are lots of things I would change with the ending:

I would change the order of the last four levels to:
*Gravemind
*The Great Journey
*Uprising
*High Charity

In Gravemind, I would not change much. You teleport onboard High Charity, chase the Prophets some until Cortana discovers they are headed for the Forerunner ship. I would have had Cortana end the level with this line: "We have to stop them. We have to destroy High Charity!"

In The Great Journey I would change the end where the Arbiter asks 343 where the Ark is. When he asks this, I would have Cortana interrupt on the radio, warning Miranda and Johnson that MC is going to blow up High Charity, which will destroy Halo 05, and telling them to get off the ring via the Covenant Cruiser that is in the process of being taken over by the Spec Ops team. Hearing this, 343 offers to teleport Miranda, Johnson, and the Arbiter there, which they accept. When you go into the building to get the Scarab, the Spec Ops leader says he is going to take the Cruiser back from the Brutes.

In Uprising, the Arbiter, Miranda, and Johnson would simply help the Spec Ops team take over the Cruiser. Miranda and Johnson are important characters in the story. I think they should be able to be killed but it should be like T&R where if either of them die, you revert to saved. But they should have extra health. At the start, you spawn with a Carbine and Plasma Sword. There are lots of dead Brutes around, killed by the Spec Ops team. You run through a few empty hallways, killing a few Brutes, until you catch up with the Spec Ops team in the Shuttle bay. You help them finish the battle, and then a cutscene plays, where you tell your story to the Spec Ops team, Then you fight your way to the Control Room, where you, Miranda, Johnson, and some Elites defend it against Brutes, while the rest of the team goes to clear the rest of the ship.

In High Charity, I would change the way MC gets to the Forerunner ship. Instead of going through the conduit as if it were a high-speed transport device, I would have a Phantom land and drop off some Brutes, which you kill, then you go inside the Phantom and kill the Brute pilot, and then you fly it to the Forerunner ship while Cortana stalls the launch sequence. Also thre should be a time limit for the flight.

I think this would have been a much better ending for Halo 2.

Conclusion

Instead of a 10, a 11.7, or OXM's biased, hype-induced 9.7, which was lowered from a 10 only after playing the game, I give Halo 2 a 7.3.

Halo 2 was over-hyped, and could not deliver on that hype. This game seems much more like Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter (sucks) than the game we were all expecting. If Bungie announces Halo 3, I am going to take anything that is said about it with a grain of salt.

Halo 2 sucks.

Look at that statement. No "!!!!11!!oneone!11!"s, and not in ALL CAPS.

*dons flame retardant suit*

Message Index

Replies:

Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*pile o' nades 12/7/04 9:57 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Vorpal Sword 12/7/04 10:13 a.m.
           I meant just the campaign *NM*pile o' nades 12/7/04 10:20 a.m.
           Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Reiginko 12/7/04 10:20 a.m.
                 Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2...Eh?500 replies 12/7/04 10:28 a.m.
                       Nothing wrong with CONSTUCTIVE critcism of course. *NM*500 replies 12/7/04 10:30 a.m.
                       Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2...Eh?pile o' nades 12/7/04 10:42 a.m.
                       Again, counterpoint.gspawn 12/7/04 11:29 a.m.
                 Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Vorpal Sword 12/7/04 11:48 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Aaron M. Chiusolo 12/7/04 10:32 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Count Zero 12/7/04 10:39 a.m.
     Gawd! Im so sick of this! x.xStarMan343 12/7/04 10:49 a.m.
     Mission possibleMirel 12/7/04 11:00 a.m.
           Re: Mission possiblederbykid 12/7/04 11:10 a.m.
                 Re: Mission possibleAaron M. Chiusolo 12/7/04 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: Mission possibleWWFalcon 12/7/04 1:42 p.m.
           The Thing That Gets MeZade 12/7/04 11:18 a.m.
                 Re: The Thing That Gets MeAeroJonesy 12/7/04 11:23 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*FauxHammer 12/7/04 12:30 p.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Saint [lpn] 12/7/04 2:22 p.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Mangler 12/8/04 10:55 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.