Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*
Posted By: ManglerDate: 12/8/04 10:55 a.m.

In Response To: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG* (pile o' nades)

: Dropships

I think anything that swoops over you out of reach while raining plasma on your head should never be indestructable.
Sure destroying the dropship full of enemeis before they unload would screw the balance of the mission, but trying to insert troops into a hostile area with a dropship is just asking to get dropkicked (for both sides).
Anyway somewhere in numerous updates Bungie had a indirect disclaimer that everything is subject to change without notice.

: Trickety Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick Trick

: Sword Flying? Come on Bungie, you are making this way too f*cking easy. Get a
: red reticule with any weapon, press Y + Trigger quickly and you go sailing
: 200 ft without being hindered by gravity? Stupid. I would have limited the
: distance you could travel to the distance at which the Energy Sword's
: reticule turns red. When you hit that distance you should fall.
Personally, I don't play games to exploit the tricks and such. I find that the game is more enjoyable if you simply play it the way the developers intended.

I think they should get rid of the lock-on lunge of the sword anyway. It just makes no sense. Something I think makes even less sense is that if you stab a white ultimate elite with uber-shield from behind, he dies. If you stab an unshielded brute from in front he lives. Stab the brute again he still lives.
It just does not make sense to me.

: Massive Intelligence Underhaul

I think the thing with allies and driving is that Bungie made sure that they would respond appropriately where the deemed it important. After that it was whatever.
In Halo1 it did not seem like the elites knew when I was sniping so much as they knew when I was pulling the trigger. That was quite annoying. They would stand still till I pulled the trigger, then right before the shot fired they would dodge. Oh well, I still enjoyed the challange

: Dual Weilding & Weapon Trading

I see your point, but its mo biggie for me personally.
I think the issue with allies using the brute shot is that the weapon was introduced late in the developement.

: Boarding

: I have only one gripe with it. Banshees are too easy to board. I realised
: this on Metropolis, When I went to get the Scarab Gun. Those dumb Elites
: just fly right toward you and just let you board them! And they don't even
: boost into you.
I have not found this to be the case at all.

: Glitches

Programming a 3D world with interactions by the simulated life forms is one of the most (if not the most) complex programming challanges. I really don't think you are going to get a game with this kind of complexity that does not have glitches.

: Banshee Barriers

I understand the need for the barriers.
I was surprised that they were so prevalent and so close.

: Mission Impossible

I'll admit that this one is tough, but it should be.
Think about it. You have a crapload of enemies flooding in to board that station and the MC is the only one capable of standing up to them for any length of time. You should get the feeling that you are up against impossible odds.
I think Bungie was going easy on us in "Belly of the Beast." After all at least they did not have all the Covenent in that room when you first appeared up the lift as I would have done were I charged with guarding it.
I prefer scenarios like this to level bosses.

: Curiosity killed the MC

The way snipers are done is pretty realistic. The only problem I have with them game-wise is that it makes it so you get through the level by repeating it enough so that you remember where everybody is and when (not so realistic).
I think a better way, considering you have advanced armor and shielding is to make it so it takes several shots to down your shields and one more to the head to kill you.
I would also prefer more numerous and more accurate enemies to the near-invulnerable/uber-powerfull ones you get in legendary.

: The last levels of the game

I agree that you could re-arrange the ending levels. What you got was what Bungie thought was best. I am sure that if you asked 10 people to juggle the last 4 levels you would get 10 different combiniations and probably none of them bad.

Overall I have enjoyed Halo2. It was different than what I expected, but so what. That does not in any way make it a bad game and I certainly was not disappointed. Except that the only level that I felt I could really move around in was Outskirts.
In Halo you had several areas that not only looked big and wide open, actually were. There was no equivalent to "Flawless Cowboy" or "Reunion Tour" in Halo2. It had the end result of making me feel like I was stuck to the path laid before me. Even in High Charity where I stayed above the path most of the way.
It gave me the feeling someone had ported the Halo characters to Unreal2 "The Awakening".
I enjoyed Unreal2, but Halo was unique in the open-ness of some of the levels.
Also, the missions seemed way more contrived in H2. I'm afraid the "Bungie Way" is becomming the "Microsoft Way"

Message Index

Replies:

Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*pile o' nades 12/7/04 9:57 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Vorpal Sword 12/7/04 10:13 a.m.
           I meant just the campaign *NM*pile o' nades 12/7/04 10:20 a.m.
           Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Reiginko 12/7/04 10:20 a.m.
                 Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2...Eh?500 replies 12/7/04 10:28 a.m.
                       Nothing wrong with CONSTUCTIVE critcism of course. *NM*500 replies 12/7/04 10:30 a.m.
                       Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2...Eh?pile o' nades 12/7/04 10:42 a.m.
                       Again, counterpoint.gspawn 12/7/04 11:29 a.m.
                 Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Vorpal Sword 12/7/04 11:48 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Aaron M. Chiusolo 12/7/04 10:32 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Count Zero 12/7/04 10:39 a.m.
     Gawd! Im so sick of this! x.xStarMan343 12/7/04 10:49 a.m.
     Mission possibleMirel 12/7/04 11:00 a.m.
           Re: Mission possiblederbykid 12/7/04 11:10 a.m.
                 Re: Mission possibleAaron M. Chiusolo 12/7/04 11:15 a.m.
                       Re: Mission possibleWWFalcon 12/7/04 1:42 p.m.
           The Thing That Gets MeZade 12/7/04 11:18 a.m.
                 Re: The Thing That Gets MeAeroJonesy 12/7/04 11:23 a.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*FauxHammer 12/7/04 12:30 p.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Saint [lpn] 12/7/04 2:22 p.m.
     Re: Heavy Criticism of Halo 2 *LOOOOONG*Mangler 12/8/04 10:55 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.