Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Quick story question-sure
Posted By: God's Own Anti-Son of A Bitch Machine <matt.forbes@lineone.net>Date: 4/7/04 8:04 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Quick story question-sure (vshields ash)

I was playing through he Library last night, when something 343 said struck me as odd, and made me question whether he really knows what the Chief is at all.
He refers to your armour as a "Combat Skin" in the comments he makes about your need to upgrade it, but when he mentions the Flood changing the atmosphere, he says "Your Environment Suit should serve you well..." This differing nomenclature made me wonder whether the two items he refers to are different - ie your armour is what he refers to as the 'Environment Suit', and your 'Combat Skin' is the Chief's body?

Sounds bonkers, but bear with me. We don't really know anything about the Forerunner, and have no physical evidence of their form - could they be so advanced that they no longer have their own bodies, but have the ability to control other being's physical forms? The Chief certainly seems to know how to use Forerunner tech even though he's not supposed to have come across it before, and 343 GS could recognise something in the Chief's brainwaves, rather than in his physical form. A Forerunner may be piggybacking his way across Halo in the Chief's brain! GS could be berating the Forerunner's choice of body to secure the Index - he came in a crappy Human combat skin, rather than another one. Perhaps the last time Halo was set off, the Forerunner were forced to occupy Flood beings, as the rest of the Galaxy was "quite devoid of life", and this is why GS says that "their [Forerunner?] survival as a race was dependent on it" - meaning the enduring of the Flood. Why don't the Forerunner have full control over their human vehicle? I don't know, but possibly they've been used to sitting in a Flood's knackered cerebral cortex for too long and are out of practice.

It could also explain why all the doors on Halo are different sizes, because depending on which being the Forerunners were inhabiting, different sized portals may have been necessary. The idea that GS isn't actually talking to the Chief could account for the idea that GS thinks the Chief has set off Halo before - he doesn't think the Chief has at all, as he is actually addressing the Forerunner in John 117's head.

PS - I'm new to the forums so apologies if this theory has been discussed/discarded/berated before - I have read the entire Story section and couldn't find anything there in this vain.

Message Index

Replies:

Quick story questionMC vince 4/7/04 12:04 a.m.
     Re: Quick story questionXLNC 4/7/04 12:06 a.m.
           Re: Quick story questionMC vince 4/7/04 12:10 a.m.
                 Re: Quick story question-surevshields ash 4/7/04 12:39 a.m.
                       Re: Quick story question-sureMC vince 4/7/04 12:57 a.m.
                             Re: Quick story question-surevshields ash 4/7/04 2:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Quick story question-sureGod's Own Anti-Son of A Bitch Machine 4/7/04 8:04 a.m.
                                         Re: Quick story question-sureHawk7886 4/7/04 9:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Quick story question-sureGod's Own Anti-Son of A Bitch Machine 4/7/04 10:24 a.m.
                                                     Re: Quick story question-surevshields ash 4/7/04 12:18 p.m.
                                                           Re: Quick story question-sureAlexander Valient 4/7/04 12:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Quick story question-sureAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/7/04 7:26 p.m.
                                         Re: Quick story question-sureAin Soph Aur 4/7/04 2:55 p.m.
                                   A-hah! There *is* a second Monitor, then!Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/7/04 7:10 p.m.
                                         Re: A-hah! There *is* a second Monitor, then!vshields ash 4/7/04 7:32 p.m.
                                               Re: A-hah! There *is* a second Monitor, then!Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/7/04 7:46 p.m.
                                                     Who monitors the Monitor?God's Own Anti-Son of A Bitch Machine 4/8/04 4:22 a.m.
                       Re: Quick story question-sureAin Soph Aur 4/7/04 2:52 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.