Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: The time of wrath is nigh...
Posted By: Wado SG <wyamauchi@msn.com>Date: 5/7/03 7:44 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The time of wrath is nigh... (Finn)

: Hey, I was just going to post something on this! ;)

: I'm trying to decide how this salvation could come about, given that once the
: Covenant arrive, one would think they would be throwing EVERYTHING they
: have at Earth, with little chance of reprieve. I made up a little list
: exploring a few ideas; mix and match elements ;)

Nice job my good man Finn. :)

: 1) The Human fleets manage to repel the Covenant. Not bloody likely.

Completely unlikely, agreed.

: 2) The Human fleets, with Cortana playing electronic havoc or turning their
: own ships against them, manage to repel the Covenant. Maybe, though still
: unlikely.

Well for fans of my Fan-fics you might remember plan A for defending Earth was to unleash a nano-constructs into the Covenant ship systems (a.k.a. Independence Day meets the Matrix). This plan failed because the Covenant aren't stupid. Fleets travel hundreds and thousands of light years from home bases of operation, they can't wait for a message from the homeworld before making a decision. Each element of the fleet must have its own command and control capable of handling many situations, but if every ship acted independently then they would not operate with the advantages of shared intelligence and concentration of fire.

What I mean is that the Covenant command and control systems must be simple enough for a single ship to understand but also insanely complex so that fleets can function together with thousands of ships. Something like when a ship is alone it operates under certain rules of engagement and under its own decisions, but if a ship of higher rank is around, things change. Unless a command ship is taken over, it should be near impossible for a rogue ship to do much because as soon as it broke the chain by doing something it wasn't supposed to, alerts would go off on the higher command ships saying something is wrong with this vessel.

Cortana would put up a good fight but this could only save Earth if the MC managed to get Cortana to infiltrate on a very high ranking Covenant command vessel which are probably the ones way far back from the action.

: 3) The Index comes into play. Perhaps as a bargaining chip, perhaps used to
: threaten the Covenant leadership (we do also know that another Halo is
: involved in the story).

Who knows Cortana has the Index? Possible that it is very valuable but again, space is very big and the only ones that know so far are the MC, Cortana, and 343 GS. Unless 343 GS is working with the Covenant, I doubt the Covenant even realize that Cortana has the Index.

: 4) Another Halo comes into the mix as, again, a bargaining tool, or perhaps
: going along with the Island 4 philosophies, these older less advanced
: Halos would not kill all life in a radius but be more precise, allowing it
: to be used in more of a Starhammer-esque manner against the Covenant.

Space is big, how would the message get to the fleet in the nick of time to save Earth. Do the Prophet's sense the activation of Halos?

: 5) The Covenant are distracted and leave, perhaps as a result of Guilty Spark
: activating another Halo somewhere (or something involving 343), or a Flood
: outbreak somewhere else.

Again space is big, communication most likely isn't instantaneous. But I think this is on the right track.

: 6)It turns out that the Prophets, knowing that Humanity is the last remnant
: of the Forerunner and that this discovery would eliminate their power,
: have proclaimed this war as a cover up. The Covenant ranks discover this
: truth (Humanity=Forerunner) and call the whole thing off.

Possible, but again space is big. The ships assaulting Earth would have to have the traitors in their ranks and a strong leader to lead them. Who would that be?

: 7) The Sleeping God (or some other Forerunner relic(s) on Earth or the Moon)
: awakes and kicks butt/scares the Covenant off.

Well again, I'll reference my Fan-fics where plan A (to use nano-constructs to stop the Covenant) failed and plan B, which was a new planetary defense shield, also failed. The last thing was Earth was doomed and an Alien race came to the rescue in such a way that the Covenant believed it an act of God and questioned their own motives. Divine intervention can have powerful effects if the god seen is YOUR GOD!

: Though as the Count pointed out, who says it will be saved anyway...

: Finn

Well frankly, the stories I wrote were based in a more mystical universe than Halo in that I have "magic" things. I think a more realistic look at what is going on could give us some insight.

First, space is big. You don't have a weapon that can get through Earth's defenses? Well, just go grab an asteroid the size of the moon and put some engines on it. Fly that sucker into the planet. Or be more sneaky and make something really small that sneaks by the human scanners and infects the Earth with a biological agent (maybe even the Flood). The question is, why would the Covenant attack Earth in any other manner than the above?

The answer is time. The Covenant don't want to risk taking the time to take out Earth with an asteroid or through a biological agent (i.e., attrition).

But Wado, what if they just get a kick out of personally blowing things up? What if they are in it for the glory and this being their last chance for glory against humanity, they jump into the fray with pride?

Well, true, human history is littered with references of leaders that did things on a whim, like if they had a bad day they might order the military to bomb the enemy more. The personal touch is never to be discounted completely, but remember the Covenant have been in a 40 year war (at least) against humanity. Glory seeking is good but like I said, space is big and more likely the forces really just want to go home more than anything else.

So the Covenant are thinking about going home and that is why they bomb Earth? Yes, that is what I'm saying, the Covenant forces just want to get the whole thing over. Imagine if you were on a ship for 20 years and you were told that after this last battle you were going home a hero.

What about other enemies to the Covenant? Could the forces attacking Earth be needed to fight another war? Well, maybe but I doubt that because the Covenant is big, very big and the ships at Earth can't be missed that much that a few more weeks would make that much of a difference.

So what is going on?

Many things come down to intelligence, millitary intelligence. Most of the manufacturing and important personnel have already been evacuated from Earth, yet Earth has been made out to be the most important place in the universe. The UNSC leaders know the Covenant just want to get rid of humanity and now that goal seems so close that they are counting of the Covenant to act very agressively -- throwing caution to the wind.

Earth is a distraction, the Stalingrad of the human-Covenant War. While the battle for Earth keeps the Covenant busy, something else is going on. An operation by the humans involving massive fleets, shield ships, BOBS, ONI special forces, Marines, and everything else the humans can muster.

What I figure is that the Covenant fleets sent to destroy Earth have not all arrived yet. Advanced forces are attacking Earth. A much smaller force than what is to come. These advanced forces are supposed to secure the area for the arrival of the rest of the fleets but instead they decide to take out Earth on their own. Only they don't realize that a massive force of human ships awaits by Mars or Venus and soon heads to Earth. The human ships trap the advance forces between Earth and them. The rest of the Covenant fleets expect the area to be safe and come in in bunches from slipstream. They instead fall into the mists of the massive human fleet. The Covenant have little chance to combine forces because they are divided up. The humans use shield ships to ram into the Covenant command ships and board them. The MC is part of all of this. In the boarding combat, the humans excel over the Covenant and a great victory follows.

Under the guidance of a secret informant (343 GS), the fleets then travel to a new Halo with a captured Prophet for more adventure... but that is another story. :)

You see, the MC does not save Earth. The humans save Earth through intelligence, tactics, and massive fleet and boarding party combat. The MC is just along for the ride, as he should be.

The MC is not the only hero in Halo, but he is just the one standing at the end of it all. He is the one that "blows up the deathstar" but throughout it all, humanity is what prevails as a whole.

Message Index

Replies:

HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?nukedude 4/28/03 8:25 p.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Pico 4/28/03 8:33 p.m.
           Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Frensa Geran 4/28/03 8:38 p.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Count Zero 4/28/03 9:16 p.m.
           Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ? *NM*RIDIK 4/28/03 9:24 p.m.
           That would be very tragic *NM* *NM*nukedude 4/28/03 9:33 p.m.
           Hah. Now that's funny...Rampant Cowboy 4/29/03 1:18 a.m.
                 Re: Hah. Now that's funny...SantaClaws 5/7/03 4:18 a.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?manic 4/28/03 10:02 p.m.
     Re: The time of wrath is nigh...Finn 4/28/03 10:35 p.m.
           Re: The time of wrath is nigh...bikeman704 4/28/03 10:43 p.m.
                 Re: The time of wrath is nigh...Finn 4/28/03 11:51 p.m.
                 Re: The time of wrath is nigh...nukedude 4/29/03 4:09 a.m.
                 Re: The time of wrath is nigh...Louis Wu 4/29/03 4:29 a.m.
                 Re: The time of wrath is nigh...Gagaw 4/29/03 9:12 a.m.
                       Re: The time of wrath is nigh...bikeman704 4/29/03 3:16 p.m.
                       Re: The time of wrath is nigh...MacPatriot 5/5/03 10:36 a.m.
           Re: The time of wrath is nigh...FriendlyFire 4/29/03 1:51 p.m.
                 Re: The time of wrath is nigh...Rampant Cowboy 4/29/03 2:10 p.m.
                 Re: The time of wrath is nigh...Random Hero 5/4/03 12:20 p.m.
           Re: The time of wrath is nigh...Wado SG 5/7/03 7:44 p.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Kaworu Nagisa 4/28/03 11:22 p.m.
           Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?ragereset 4/28/03 11:52 p.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?nukedude 4/29/03 9:08 a.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?vlad3164 4/29/03 4:23 p.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?the_Ranger22 5/2/03 12:07 p.m.
           Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?WRATHofGOD18 5/2/03 12:41 p.m.
           Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Reid Hunnicutt 5/2/03 6:52 p.m.
                 Even if he saves Earth or not...Asento Purugganan 5/3/03 1:20 p.m.
     Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Obnoticus 5/4/03 11:49 a.m.
           Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Count Zero 5/4/03 12:45 p.m.
                 Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Eclarap 5/4/03 3:07 p.m.
                       Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Count Zero 5/4/03 4:37 p.m.
                             Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Eclarap 5/5/03 11:04 a.m.
           Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?donttalk 5/4/03 3:32 p.m.
                 Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Wonder Warthog 5/4/03 6:53 p.m.
                       Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Captian Podge 5/6/03 11:43 p.m.
                             Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Rich Mussel 5/7/03 12:01 a.m.
                                   Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Wonder Warthog 5/7/03 9:10 a.m.
                       Re: HOW IS CHIEF GOING TO SAFE THE EARTH ?Captian Podge 5/7/03 1:47 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.