Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: They're all funny (further OT)
Posted By: Miguel Chavez <bs@bungie.org>Date: 11/13/02 12:37 p.m.

In Response To: They're all funny (ShdwPnthr)

: For someone who doesn't want to start a debate, you sure know how to stir up
: trouble. I will try to keep my reply short and to the point.

: I've enjoyed listening to Don and Mike for years. Millions of fans across the
: nation would disagree with your statement about them being terrible. When
: I first listened to Opie and Anthony, I thought they were terrible. But I
: gave them a chance, and after several *weeks*, I began to enjoy their show
: as well. The same goes for Howard Stern, Ron and Fez, The Sports Junkies,
: etc. They're all entertaining, in different ways and to various degrees. I
: won't attempt to argue over which show is better, but I will say that
: every one of those shows makes me laugh (or used to make me laugh in the
: case of O&A). And the bottomline is that when you're stuck in traffic,
: listening to a funny radio show can put a smile on your face and help
: prevent the road rage from taking over.

: If you don't like Don and Mike, that's fine. But if you say they're
: "TERRIBLE", you're just wrong.

I'm an avid NYC talk radio listener, I even appeared on HS syndicated radio show (the one that was on Saturday) about 15 years ago as a dial-a-date guest. I attended the FCC rally and if it wasn't for some dope's arm in front of my face, my picture would've been in a few NY papers. :)

Let me just state right off the bat that I agree with you ShdwPnthr... I'd listen to whoever was available in my area, but if I had to rate them against each other, this is how they'd do:

Howard Stern... dependable but tired at times. Same old shtick that gets a boost with his revolving crew. It's really more of a 'family' show, not that it's appropriate for all-ages, but that alot of the laughs come from HS's extended family of Robin, Fred, Gary, Cabbie, Tom, John, etc., and then his wack-pack of course. The one constant factor that survives is his paranoia and his insecurities. This is probably why he's still a force to be reckoned with. He's proven to be a shrewd businessman. Alot of his credibility, however, went out the window during his marriage troubles.

Ron & Fez... Funny combination of straight-man/gay-man buddy humor, interesting running bits, funny listeners that contribute to the show. Got a good boost off of O&A hyping them.

Don & Mike... A pair of older men that try real hard but fail more often than not. It's like growing up listening to Richard Pryor and then trying out Arsenio Hall. It's close, in a very distant way. :)

Radio Chick... Like a racier version of Loveline. Loved her personality, but the humor was sometimes mediocre. Great pair of cans though, and she didn't mind talking about them. Chucky could be annoying.

Greaseman... An idiot that thought he could get away with some racist humor. His talent is a type of improvisational skit. Funny for the first minute, and then tiresome after that.

Tom Lykis(sp?)... Another idiot with a one-note repertoire. If I have to hear his tired remarks about male superiority over women... puh-leeze.

Mancow... Talentless dope. Pretender to the throne.

Opie and Anthony... Successor to HS. They remind me of the HS of yesteryear, when he was hungry and trying to prove himself. They are no-holds barred with their humor. It helps that they're also in my age group, so when they would talk about playing computer games or issues with their wives, etc, I could relate. They also were completely tuned into the whole internet thing... foundrymusic.com has a TON of their radio bits as video and audio. HS freaks out whenever he hears of someone posting stuff of his online, as he (as I mentioned) is a shrewd businessman and wants folks to pay for anything of his. O&A couldn't care less, and even if you visited their official WNEW website, you had a chance to get ALOT of free pics of all sorts of lewd going-ons.

As human beings, they are no angels, and I definitely think Anthony has alot of that 'subtle racism' thing going on, but that's not what I judge these radio shows by... If I laugh, that's all I want. But maybe it helps, in some screwy way, that the guys that I laugh the hardest with are these two twisted individuals.

One last comment: Anthony's divorce was handled just like I had expected HS to handle his... he rarely brought it up and when he did it was to ridicule the whole thing. That was in line with his radio persona. HS instead became all weepy and sad, which completely ruined the illusion of this 'no-bs, truth or bust' pose he had adopted. The fact that he's now an old man that has a young model girlfriend, hangs out with entertainment heavy-hitters, and prevented O&A from mentioning his name, just shows him as the very person he used to mock (and still does with a straight face). Like I said, he's still funny, and now with O&A out of the picture, he's the only person I try to tune into to, but I have to be honest with my assessment about him.

- M

Bungie Sightings

Message Index

Replies:

Everyone read AND listenElan Sleazbagano 11/12/02 6:54 p.m.
     O&A RULEZ!Miguel Chavez 11/12/02 7:01 p.m.
           Re: O&A RULEZ!Elan Sleazbagano 11/12/02 7:11 p.m.
           Don and Mike are bettercapncrackfiend 11/12/02 9:04 p.m.
                 Re: Don and Mike are betterElan Sleazbagano 11/13/02 12:55 a.m.
                       They're all funnyShdwPnthr 11/13/02 6:53 a.m.
                             Re: They're all funny (further OT)Miguel Chavez 11/13/02 12:37 p.m.
                                   Re: They're all funny (further OT)Elan Sleazbagano 11/13/02 3:42 p.m.
                                         Re: They're all funny (further OT)ShdwPnthr 11/14/02 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: They're all funny (further OT)Elan Sleazbagano 11/14/02 6:25 p.m.
                                   Re: They're all funny (further OT)ShdwPnthr 11/14/02 7:38 a.m.
                                         Re: They're all funny (further OT)Louis Wu 11/14/02 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: They're all funny (further OT)ShdwPnthr 11/14/02 7:52 a.m.
                                         Still OT - ageLouis Wu 11/14/02 7:48 a.m.
                                               Re: Still OT - ageShdwPnthr 11/14/02 7:55 a.m.
                                               Re: Still OT - agevector40 11/14/02 9:47 p.m.
                                         Re: They're all funny (further OT)Miguel Chavez 11/14/02 9:29 a.m.
     Re: Everyone read AND listenvector40 11/12/02 8:16 p.m.
           Re: Everyone read AND listenSecond Hand Plasma 11/12/02 8:20 p.m.
                 Re: Everyone read AND listenskavenger_s7 11/12/02 9:00 p.m.
                       Re: Everyone read AND listenoddworld18 11/12/02 9:37 p.m.
     nice, but i enjoy Dennis Miller's rants more. ;-) *NM*R.G. 11/12/02 9:11 p.m.
     beautiful, beautiful spite, how i love thee... *NM*oddworld18 11/12/02 9:36 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.