Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I think what Halo Wars did best
Posted By: TDSpiral <brennagar@gmail.com>Date: 3/1/13 1:06 a.m.

In Response To: Halo Wars & Halo 4: That "Halo" feeling *vids* (Revenant1988)

Was taking the best parts of the Halo Trilogy and then condensing into one solid experience. I mean, that game had everything you would expect from the franchise thus far. The tone of the game was just right, the art direction was solid, and I think that's why all those new additions in Halo Wars work. That's why it feels like a true Halo experience.

That said, I think they took too safe of an approach. In the end, Halo Wars changed almost nothing in the scope of the Halo Universe (besides minor details). It was like the story was written by a complex machine that took things people loved about the other games and inserted those in with generic characters. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Halo 4 took too many risks, and in an attempt to change so much it fell apart on multiple occasions because it wasn't believable.

I think the difference between 343 and Ensemble is pretty obvious: 343 owns Halo- they can do whatever they want with it. Unlike Ensemble where they had to mind the fact there is another studio who is making Halo games concurrent to them.

There's always been a problem I have with a lot of Halo fan fiction, and it's exactly this. Either it's too safe and it feels like Halo so much that it's boring, or it just gets downright weird and stops making sense. That's like Halo Wars and Halo 4 to me. And really that's what these games seem like to me- fan fiction to Bungie's games.

I don't want to discredit all the hard work that these studios put into their games. I know there were people who lost their jobs, didn't see their family for days at a time, and worked through personal tragedies for these games. There's obviously a passion there.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Wars & Halo 4: That "Halo" feeling *vids*Revenant1988 2/28/13 9:26 p.m.
     Re: Halo Wars & Halo 4: That "Halo" feeling *vids*Dielectric 2/28/13 10:30 p.m.
     Re: Halo Wars & Halo 4: That "Halo" feeling *vids*Azo 'Galvat 2/28/13 10:31 p.m.
     I think what Halo Wars did bestTDSpiral 3/1/13 1:06 a.m.
     Re: Halo Wars & Halo 4: That "Halo" feeling *vids*DarkReign2021 3/1/13 1:29 a.m.
     A happy, positive post.Quirel 3/1/13 4:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.