Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Level Thoughts *SP*
Posted By: scarabDate: 11/19/12 1:21 a.m.

In Response To: Level Thoughts *SP* (RC Master)

: -- Levels --
: - M1 Dawn -
: Was a little too much narrow corridors, too much waiting around, and not
: enough sandboxes to play in. Compare it to Cairo Station or even Pillar of
: Autumn and it's much tighter. The level starts to get good near the end
: and then it's all over. Thanks for putting in scope for trick jumps in the
: last area but the rest of the level is so boring it's almost not worth
: playing.

It's very meh.

: - M2 Requiem - .
[snip]
: Then you get locked into the most
: open section of an open area which isn't that fun

Would hate to start that part without a long ranged weapon given that you enter an open area with: Ghosts patrolling and covered by turrets and snipers. That's bad level design. There should at least be a room at your back with a long ranged weapon available to pick up or a crate with a DMR just outside the door.

A lot of the problems with this game seem to be the result of people at 343i not thinking. They aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. You'd almost think that they were very inexperienced but that can't be the case because we are told that they have all had long, illustrious, careers in other companies b4 working at 343i. Maybe years of working for a company that doesn't ask you to think is poor preparation for filling Bungie's shoes.

They all claim to be fans of Halo but I often wonder if they were only fans of a very small subset of the game. It's either that or they just got into a bunch of bad habits during their careers and have carried over their old habits into 343i.

The sad part is that they knew they had to buck up their ideas and raise their game to meet Bungie's standards and they still seem unable to think things through.

: - M3 Forerunners
[snip]
: The second generator area isn't
: that fun so far still - still too many enemies, not enough cover, they
: just shove you out in the open and the Banshees are so brokenly
: overpowered.

How do you tackle this area? I found it really hard. You probably have to splatter that Elite so you don't have to face 3 Banshees.

On Legendary if I take the banshee then I have to fight the 1st Banshee whilst being pinged by the snipers in the structure, ghosts, and anyone else on the map who takes an interest. I can kill the Banshee but will die seconds after.

If I stay on foot then Banshee and Ghosts will kill me double quick.

The nearest sphere-that-must-be-destroyed room has a ceiling and walls so provides excellent cover if you can get to it FAST.

Would a PP takedown of the first Banshee be the best option? If that works then great but it relies on you knowing to go through that door with a PP. Any other scenario puts you back to the checkpoint umpteen times before you can progress. And you'd probably have to jack the Banshee to eject the pilot then immediately dismount to kill him or he will take to other Banshee and set off in pursuit.

In my only Legendary attempt I ended up making use of the fact that the door wont close if you stay very close to the exit. I used every Light riffle in the rack plus autosentry to take out the Banshee. Obviously this takes too long for regular use. I just wanted to get through somehow and this was better than repeatedly revisiting the checkpoint in an attempt to find some way to start this area.

I really HATE one way doors but I especially HATE one way doors to open areas to vast open areas with no close cover, in sight of ranged foes, on foot, with Ghosts and Banshees patrolling.

: The Ghost escape sequence was fun and intense the first time

I did it perfectly the first time and thought meh. Since then I have clipped edges of geometry and been spilled from the Ghost but it has never killed me. Mistakes don't matter. You would have to work hard at it to die. So its wasted time for me. Press (Y) to skip. (If only I could.)

: - M4 Infinity - The first areas of this level is like a green version of
: the level 'Cortana' from Halo 3: confusing, multi-layered organic, tight
: arenas. There are WAY too many invisible barriers all over the place which
: makes it feel like you're just in a tunnel rather than a jungle. A jungle
: filled with way too many annoying little crawlers and scaredy-cat
: Watchers.

Note: when I say left or right I mean WRT having the door at your back so that you face the diection that enemies will come from.

That choke point defense was V annoying. I ended up having to kill most waves but had to run away during the last wave and take refuge to the right. There is a fallen tree that spans the valley and it acts like a wall to give you cover. Next time I play I will drop a turret there b4 triggering the attack and hope it doesn't despawn.

Running away at the start didn't seem to be a viable strategy. It's easy to do as the enemies are scripted to head for the door so they ignore you (I ran along the left of the area but it may be better to run along the right. Didn't try running down the middle.). But when you turn round to reengage them you get overwhelmed by crawlers who almost seem to spawn around you.

Don't like the railgun much.

: In the loading bay however, the game's overzealous despawning regime really
: annoyed me: I was doing an Easy difficulty speed run and had forgone the
: Scorpion in favour of the faster Ghost. So when I reached the loading bay
: I knew there was one Grunt there with a Fuel Rod Gun that I could use to
: help destroy the Hunters. But - and here's the kicker - the FRG despawned
: literally as I was trying to pick it up. There shouldn't have been
: anything loaded except that one room and still it couldn't even keep the
: weapons around for 10 seconds! WTF?

Seen that in spops. V annoying. Is this the first Halo game where a weapon despawns whilst you are actually looking at it? They must have modified the engine to allow that to happen. WHY?!?!?

: - M5 Reclaimer - Some people said they don't like this mission but I
: actually had a fair amount of fun here. I enjoyed riding the Mammoth even
: if it was a bit slow and they talk far too much. There are also a HUGE
: number of skips on this level and you have a good degree of freedom to
: explore the rocks around the areas. Exploration is still cut a little
: short by seemingly illogical barriers: I want to explore the waterfall
: behind the crashed Pelican dammit! Also, it's a bit disappointing that
: many of the vistas are fairly close matte paintings - where you know
: equivalents in Reach were real geometry for miles.

This seems to be a VERY resource limited game. Reminds me of h2. You can see that they traded gameplay for graphics and complex geometry. An odd choice for a Halo game. The wrong choice in my opinion.

: - M6 Shutdown -

Not much to say about that level except meh.

: - M7 Composer The first fighting area of this level - the hanger - shows
: some promise with some wider, more open areas with multiple rooms, routes
: and opportunities to skip fights. But then it quickly devolves into
: another corridor crawling level with areas even less interesting than the
: first level, Dawn. Getting to blast the Covies out the airlock was fun but
: it's a bit of an all-or-nothing deal. Then with like so many aspects of
: this game: you do it twice.

: Again the Mantis was fun, but it's so tall you have difficulty finding places
: to cover behind and feel like you're constantly without shields on
: Legendary. There is also WAAAY too much waiting around at the end: I would
: have preferred to have been able to actually do something in the mean time
: like at least move through space. Being stuck in a room was boring.

In my first playthrough I had to abandon the mantis and take cover in a room to recharge my shields. The Mantis had been shot to pieces and was near death. When I returned to the cavern the mantis had been repaired and was good as new.

: - M8 Midnight -

Hard to fail with the Broadsword but must remember to boost through that door.

: The rest of the level is far too repetitive (is there a theme here?)

Yes. :-)

: The fighting is a lot more bearable than M3-Forerunner though, as you get
: more plentiful tools. But again the constant teleporter use really breaks
: the flow of the level.

: I really didn't like the Campaign ending on a Quick Time Event. It was
: incredibly slow and lame, and the whole set-up was cliché. I wish there
: was an option to skip it as I have no desire to ever 'play' that bit
: again. Even H2 style boss battles or H3 style 'point and shoot' would have
: been preferable.

I'm not a fan of having to push a button to pick the correct ending to a cutscene but some people like them so I can put up with them.

Message Index

Replies:

My Halo 4 Review / thoughts / complaints *SP*RC Master 11/18/12 4:57 p.m.
     Level Thoughts *SP*RC Master 11/18/12 5:00 p.m.
           I liked your review styleRevenant1988 11/18/12 8:14 p.m.
           Re: Level Thoughts *SP*scarab 11/19/12 1:21 a.m.
                 Re: Level Thoughts *SP*Lurono 11/19/12 7:52 a.m.
                 Re: Level Thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/19/12 10:05 a.m.
                 Re: Level Thoughts *SP*Quirel 11/19/12 12:01 p.m.
     Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*RC Master 11/18/12 5:03 p.m.
           Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*Cody Miller 11/18/12 5:47 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*uberfoop 11/18/12 6:04 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 6:27 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*RC Master 11/19/12 10:47 a.m.
                 Same for sprint racing on bikesLurono 11/19/12 10:08 p.m.
           Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*BoneKin 11/18/12 8:55 p.m.
           Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Revenant1988 11/18/12 9:03 p.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Ragashingo 11/18/12 9:50 p.m.
                       Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)RC Master 11/19/12 6:14 a.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)uberfoop 11/18/12 10:37 p.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Cody Miller 11/19/12 12:19 a.m.
                       Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Revenant1988 11/19/12 6:36 a.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)RC Master 11/19/12 11:16 a.m.
                       Nanomachines *NM*thebruce0 11/19/12 12:18 p.m.
                             *cringe* *NM*RC Master 11/19/12 2:09 p.m.
                       Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)NikGntre 11/20/12 11:12 a.m.
                             Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Quirel 11/20/12 11:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)NikGntre 11/21/12 12:42 a.m.
                                   Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Hoovaloov 11/21/12 4:03 a.m.
                             MP is now an unreal tournamentscarab 11/20/12 1:35 p.m.
           Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*Hedgemony 11/18/12 11:48 p.m.
     Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*RC Master 11/18/12 5:09 p.m.
           Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 6:25 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*uberfoop 11/18/12 6:39 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 7:54 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*scarab 11/19/12 12:10 a.m.
                             Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Quirel 11/19/12 12:50 a.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Leviathan 11/18/12 6:56 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 7:52 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Ragashingo 11/18/12 7:32 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 7:51 p.m.
                             Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*uberfoop 11/18/12 8:19 p.m.
                                   Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Ragashingo 11/18/12 8:44 p.m.
                                         Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*uberfoop 11/18/12 8:53 p.m.
                                               Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Ragashingo 11/18/12 9:40 p.m.
                                                     Exactly what I was thinking *NM*Lurono 11/19/12 10:11 p.m.
                                               Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Hoovaloov 11/19/12 1:02 a.m.
                             Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*scarab 11/19/12 12:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Hoovaloov 11/19/12 1:12 a.m.
                                         ^ This *NM*SonGoharotto 11/19/12 9:30 a.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*RC Master 11/19/12 2:04 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*The Loot 11/20/12 10:55 a.m.
           Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*INSANEdrive 11/18/12 9:27 p.m.
           Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*PsycoJoe 11/18/12 9:59 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Quirel 11/19/12 12:35 a.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*PsycoJoe 11/19/12 2:04 a.m.
     Well said. *NM*Devil Mingy 11/18/12 8:32 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 4 Review / thoughts / complaints *SP*Kermit 11/18/12 11:18 p.m.
     Good thoughts, RC, and well written! *NM*Lurono 11/19/12 10:14 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.