Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)
Posted By: Revenant1988 <dga1988@yahoo.com>Date: 11/18/12 9:03 p.m.

In Response To: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp* (RC Master)

You know, I haven't been able to put my finger on what bothers me about wargames and you nailed it: It's supposed to be woven into the fiction, the story, to fit in the universe, and it totally, does not do that, at all.

It really doesn't.

For me, I always treated MP as its own thing. The one exception to this was the levels themselves- I LOVED that Bungie tended to write back story into the locations, to make them actual places that you could believe were in the story that maybe Master Chief didn't see or walk through directly, but were important to the overall immersion of the campaign. In CE, every map was on the Halo Ring (except for Derelict, IIRC) for example.

Idk, I just really liked that personally. The levels and the locations made the fiction richer, but the actual games played on them never had to fit or make sense or be part of that story- they were just games. This goes into the argument I have a lot with folks about trying NOT to treat everything in Halo as canon, some things are strictly for game play (because folks, at the end of the day it IS just a game) and I like it like that. That's just me.

If 343 really, REALLY wants to make war games canon, I'm OK with that but they didn't immerse me in it to believe it. I couldn't put my tongue on why for instance weapon drops bothered me- it's not a game play thing (they are kinda fun from that perspective) it's the story aspect of them!

I totally agree with what you have in this part: 343 tired to make gameplay and weapon perks canon and they can't be!

-Overshield makes sense: I could believe a ship dropping down that type of power up to a spartan in the field in an emergency

-Speed and damage boost do not make sense!: How are you going to drop in something like that to a soldier in the battle field? Ok, you could argue that speed boost could be some kind of stimulant- fine, but what about damage boost? Why the fuck wouldn't you give that to them ALL the time??? Immersion= lost.

- Weapon drops: These only make sense to me in wide open areas. Reach NAILED this part of the fiction. If something was dropped off to noble team or your spartan in Fire Fight a fighter actually streaked over your head and dropped it, or it came from an orbiting ship, MEANING it could only happen outside- You can't just teleport shit in doors. In wargames, this is made worse by the fact that when an item "pops" after you call it in it makes the same sound and has the same particle effects as if it had come from orbit. Immersion = lost.

-These simulations totally do have the SIV's more dependent on a ship from orbit due to weapon drops. I get the feeling that if they were actually placed somewhere with no orbital assistance they'd be toast. Immersion = lost.

-Tactical packages: 343, you tried to take something that is gameplay and make it story. Why do I need a perk to be able to pickup grenades on the battlefield? I'm a Spartan aren't I? Master of any weapon, pilot of any vehicle and I can't do this unless I have this perk? God. Don't tell the covenant, or humanity's going to be fucked. Extended sensors? Why wouldn't EVERY spartan have this? Immersion = lost

- Foerunner weapons: How would infinity be able to simulate these so quickly? I get that over time it could work but in terms of how 343 wants it to play into infinity's fiction I just don't buy it. This breaks my ability to be able to view MP as canon. Immersion = lost.

-Specializations
Ok, I guess you could make *some* of these features armor specific- but Bungie never did that. It WOULD make sense for an armor like Recon or Scout to have say, better stealth and sensors and less protection (fast and light but physically less protected) but then you have to do that for every armor. From a fiction stand point, the SIIs all had something they were better at then someone else. I consider s-117 a jack of all trades -master of none. Linda was the perfect sniper, the crack shot, so maybe for her her armor would incorporate better optics or something. Bungie did a little of this but only visually for Noble team- Jorge is the heavy, has big bulky protection. June is lighter and has a gillie suit for sniping, Kat's paratrooper armor is painted a sky blue which is a nice touch for aerial insertions. It totally makes sense that Spartans would each have their own... trade. I think it's nice and it does allow me to play to my preferences. I like this idea a lot but for me its muddied by the fiction flaws above, the gameplay things that don't make sense with the story that they didn't cover or even TRY to cover well. Immersion = confused

I'm not going to go into game modes because I haven't digested them all yet, and I still treat them as non canon (even if 343 doesn't want me to do that). Gameplay for gameplay's sake.

I feel like 343 made a solid attempt to make MP more woven into the fiction but I feel like saying it's all a simulation is lazy writing and takes the easy way out. I totally called this when they first announced their intent to make MP fit into the story and I don't like it. It just doesn't work for me and it makes me enjoy it less because of it. They would have been better off leaving MP be it's own thing IMO. The way it is now really wrecks my enjoyment of the game.

I know it sounds silly and I've ranted about it enough at this point but I am truly surprised at how much it bothers me. Totally caught me off guard.

Good post RC, I feel better for venting now that I can describe it.

Message Index

Replies:

My Halo 4 Review / thoughts / complaints *SP*RC Master 11/18/12 4:57 p.m.
     Level Thoughts *SP*RC Master 11/18/12 5:00 p.m.
           I liked your review styleRevenant1988 11/18/12 8:14 p.m.
           Re: Level Thoughts *SP*scarab 11/19/12 1:21 a.m.
                 Re: Level Thoughts *SP*Lurono 11/19/12 7:52 a.m.
                 Re: Level Thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/19/12 10:05 a.m.
                 Re: Level Thoughts *SP*Quirel 11/19/12 12:01 p.m.
     Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*RC Master 11/18/12 5:03 p.m.
           Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*Cody Miller 11/18/12 5:47 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*uberfoop 11/18/12 6:04 p.m.
                       Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 6:27 p.m.
                 Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*RC Master 11/19/12 10:47 a.m.
                 Same for sprint racing on bikesLurono 11/19/12 10:08 p.m.
           Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*BoneKin 11/18/12 8:55 p.m.
           Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Revenant1988 11/18/12 9:03 p.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Ragashingo 11/18/12 9:50 p.m.
                       Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)RC Master 11/19/12 6:14 a.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)uberfoop 11/18/12 10:37 p.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Cody Miller 11/19/12 12:19 a.m.
                       Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Revenant1988 11/19/12 6:36 a.m.
                 Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)RC Master 11/19/12 11:16 a.m.
                       Nanomachines *NM*thebruce0 11/19/12 12:18 p.m.
                             *cringe* *NM*RC Master 11/19/12 2:09 p.m.
                       Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)NikGntre 11/20/12 11:12 a.m.
                             Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Quirel 11/20/12 11:18 a.m.
                                   Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)NikGntre 11/21/12 12:42 a.m.
                                   Re: Dude, you nailed MP for me (long reply)Hoovaloov 11/21/12 4:03 a.m.
                             MP is now an unreal tournamentscarab 11/20/12 1:35 p.m.
           Re: Infinity Multiplayer thoughts *no sp*Hedgemony 11/18/12 11:48 p.m.
     Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*RC Master 11/18/12 5:09 p.m.
           Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 6:25 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*uberfoop 11/18/12 6:39 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 7:54 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*scarab 11/19/12 12:10 a.m.
                             Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Quirel 11/19/12 12:50 a.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Leviathan 11/18/12 6:56 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 7:52 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Ragashingo 11/18/12 7:32 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*SonGoharotto 11/18/12 7:51 p.m.
                             Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*uberfoop 11/18/12 8:19 p.m.
                                   Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Ragashingo 11/18/12 8:44 p.m.
                                         Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*uberfoop 11/18/12 8:53 p.m.
                                               Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Ragashingo 11/18/12 9:40 p.m.
                                                     Exactly what I was thinking *NM*Lurono 11/19/12 10:11 p.m.
                                               Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Hoovaloov 11/19/12 1:02 a.m.
                             Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*scarab 11/19/12 12:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Hoovaloov 11/19/12 1:12 a.m.
                                         ^ This *NM*SonGoharotto 11/19/12 9:30 a.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*RC Master 11/19/12 2:04 p.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*The Loot 11/20/12 10:55 a.m.
           Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*INSANEdrive 11/18/12 9:27 p.m.
           Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*PsycoJoe 11/18/12 9:59 p.m.
                 Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*Quirel 11/19/12 12:35 a.m.
                       Re: Spartan Ops & Enemy thoughts *SP*PsycoJoe 11/19/12 2:04 a.m.
     Well said. *NM*Devil Mingy 11/18/12 8:32 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 4 Review / thoughts / complaints *SP*Kermit 11/18/12 11:18 p.m.
     Good thoughts, RC, and well written! *NM*Lurono 11/19/12 10:14 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.