Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Answers.
Posted By: Joony JoonDate: 11/11/12 4:39 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes Video (Frankie)

: What was your favorite scene, and do you have any screens of your Halo 4
: Forge creations?

My favorite scenes were the 30 second clips of Cortana talking to herself at the top of each episode. The rest of entire series, all 80 minutes of it, sucked. Writing, acting, directing, action, special effects, characters I don't give a shit about - all a waste of time. Well, the music was OK.

No, I don't have any screenshots of my Halo 4 Forge creations because your barely functioning website doesn't have the same screenshot sharing functionality that the previous developer offered. But even if it did, your team actually made the Forge mode's functionality worse than it was in Reach and I now have too little incentive to continue investing my time in it. It's as if you said, "Here are three maps we built half way. Now, you finish them." I'm not going to finish them because the layouts you've left me with are complete ass to begin with.

What would have been nice: Some kind of terrain manipulation or at least terrain objects with which I could create my own ground so every Forge map isn't set on white walls when I need a flat floor. It's been suggested by many: why not have one side of the Colosseum Wall be grass textured? Why the is Natural objects category still just four rocks? Do you hate vegetation? Why is there no flat open natural terrain to build on anywhere? What's with all the invisible barriers? I don't want to use the prefabbed terrain, and I can't build in the air either. Even near the actual physical walls and rock faces I'm seeing RETURN TO BATTLEFIELD messages before I actually touch them. Why?

What I got instead: Magnets. They work beautifully for putting pieces together quickly, but there aren't enough of them on most pieces; there should be magnet points on the corners of Blocks, not just the sides. And it's too bad that when I save and exit a map the magnets all come apart when I return to it. And the object highlighting is preventing me from seeing what the fuck I'm holding looks like before I place it on my map. Thanks for correcting the mismatched depths and widths on many of the pieces... before introducing new ones.

You couldn't let the stuff carried over from Reach, stuff that was working, come along without fucking that stuff up either: 99% of the object palette is the same aside from a handful of map specific objects, some of which do not align straight when rotated away from their default orientation. You've textured them all white, off white and brown rust - it's not like the grey, light grey and dark grey ever got old, right? Bridge pieces are 2.4 units wide (the .4 belongs to the railings) and are indented on the underside, so they can't be flipped and made to align flush with other flat pieces. Corner Platform pieces are 4.4 units wide (again, the railings). Colosseum Walls are 11.8 units long. Why the fuck? Colosseum Windows are inset and can't ever be walked on. Blocks have rounded edges. Couldn't bother to properly scale the Building objects to better match the rest of the palette. Ravine won't let me merge objects in the ground in some places, and the big Foreruner artifact piece unique to that map is covered with indentations and can't be walked on. Same is true for the glass inside the unique Impact objects - inset glass floors with bumps. Basically, a lot of these objects lose a lot of their versatility because of these issues. And the worst of all, precision object placement is inexplicably gone - you know, that thing I could do where if I clicked the left thumbstick, objects would move very, very slightly. Let me guess: you thought magnets would be enough? Maybe they would have been if they worked.

But objects generate shadows now. Fantastic. Too bad the shadows don't get rendered in the Saved Films or Screenshots that I can't show you.

Your team fucked up most of the rest of the game too, by the way. The gunplay in this game is fucking awesome, but it's covered head to toe in Call of Duty scented horseshit, atrocious UI, and wall hacks. I hope that audience you're chasing rewards you well. And get a new sound guy.

But I take back my comment about investing your money differently. I read that Halo 4 is the most expensive Halo title produced to date. Money is clearly not the cure for poor vision and technical incompetence. Halo 5 should be better.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoEnfinit 7/11/12 2:09 a.m.
     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoGrizzlei 7/11/12 2:53 a.m.
           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoSonGoharotto 7/11/12 1:18 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoGrizzlei 7/11/12 1:45 p.m.
     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoLurono 7/11/12 3:50 a.m.
     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoJaydee 7/11/12 4:02 a.m.
           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes Videobluerunner 7/11/12 1:54 p.m.
     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoDEEP NNN 7/11/12 6:39 a.m.
           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoApollo 7/11/12 8:32 a.m.
                 Was wondering the same thingBeorn 7/11/12 11:45 a.m.
                       Re: Was wondering the same thingGrizzlei 7/11/12 2:04 p.m.
                       Re: Was wondering the same thingFrankie 7/11/12 2:44 p.m.
                             Re: Was wondering the same thingNotTheVacuum 7/11/12 3:16 p.m.
                             Re: Was wondering the same thingVandle Valsher 7/11/12 3:19 p.m.
                                   Re: Was wondering the same thingbluerunner 7/11/12 3:25 p.m.
                             Re: Was wondering the same thingbluerunner 7/11/12 3:21 p.m.
                                   AgreedBeorn 7/11/12 3:46 p.m.
                             Re: Was wondering the same thingyakaman 7/11/12 3:26 p.m.
                             halo 1234 confirmed!hunt3r 7/11/12 5:16 p.m.
                             Out of curiosity...Quirel 7/11/12 6:06 p.m.
                             Re: Was wondering the same thingGeneral Vagueness 7/13/12 1:49 p.m.
     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoArchitechnid 7/11/12 9:17 a.m.
     That looks sooo good. *NM*Mixmasterchief 7/11/12 10:31 a.m.
     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoJoony Joon 7/11/12 11:26 a.m.
           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoFrankie 7/11/12 2:50 p.m.
                 lollerpwnt *NM*Vandle Valsher 7/11/12 3:21 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoJoony Joon 7/11/12 3:42 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoMetalingus627 7/11/12 5:07 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoKalamari 7/11/12 5:17 p.m.
                             Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoJoony Joon 7/11/12 6:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes Videokidtsunami 7/11/12 6:47 p.m.
                                         ...and that's the game! *NM*thebruce0 7/12/12 8:53 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoJoony Joon 7/12/12 3:11 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoLouis Wu 7/12/12 3:32 p.m.
                                                     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoJoony Joon 7/12/12 4:15 p.m.
                                                           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoLouis Wu 7/12/12 4:48 p.m.
                       oh yeahkidtsunami 7/11/12 5:22 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoApollo 7/12/12 11:46 a.m.
                             Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoNotTheVacuum 7/12/12 1:56 p.m.
                             Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoJoony Joon 7/12/12 2:47 p.m.
                 Answers.Joony Joon 11/11/12 4:39 p.m.
                       Re: Answers.serpx 11/12/12 12:19 a.m.
           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes Videostabbim 7/11/12 10:34 p.m.
           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoGeneral Vagueness 7/13/12 1:58 p.m.
     I got goose nipples *NM*thebruce0 7/11/12 12:45 p.m.
           Might want to see a doctor about that. *NM*SonGoharotto 7/11/12 1:16 p.m.
                 Point me to Dr. House plz *NM*thebruce0 7/12/12 8:54 a.m.
     Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoNotTheVacuum 7/11/12 1:19 p.m.
           Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoMetalingus627 7/11/12 5:11 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 4 FUD Behind the Scenes VideoGrizzlei 7/11/12 5:20 p.m.
                       Tomato, TomatoMetalingus627 7/11/12 5:29 p.m.
                             Re: Tomato, TomatoGrizzlei 7/11/12 5:49 p.m.
                                   Re: Tomato, TomatoSonGoharotto 7/11/12 5:52 p.m.
     Very excitedSonGoharotto 7/11/12 1:22 p.m.
           Re: Very excitedstabbim 7/13/12 1:31 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.