Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Just as long as Aspyr doesn't publish/port
Posted By: kornman00 <kornman00@gmail.com>Date: 9/10/12 1:50 p.m.

In Response To: Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo Engine (nillapuddin)

Maybe then the hypothetical non-Halo game would have support for GFX cards other than NVidia and wouldn't use MacDX on the PC. All my damn machines are ATI-powered. I'm actually considering building a PC *just* for Stubbs so that I can play it on something other than the Xbox (I own the game for all three platforms, but Mac edition only supports PowerPC).

: Could you ever see another game or franchise use the Halo engine?

: Obviously Stubbs was a special case, but it just makes me wonder, with how
: (awesome) and flexible the Halo engine can be.

I can still recall some of the Postmortem for Stubbs in an issue of GDMag (oh nice, it was reprinted online). Especially the "What Went Wrong" parts. While many (all at the time?) of the Wideload guys were Bungie vets, the Halo1 engine still had some documentation issues. Which became a problem for external contractors who were making content for the game. Of course, with the Halo Custom Edition community, there's probably enough documentation out there for an artist to do stuff on their own, heh. For the Halo1 engine variant that is.

I think it would be cool to see the HaloPC engine licensable, even with non-profit restrictions. I'd like to think that had Bungie retained (full) rights to the engine, they would have open sourced it under the same guidelines as their previous games. As a programmer and game engine enthusiast, I'd personally rather have the latter than Halo 4. Of course without MS, Bungie probably wouldn't be as well off as they are today (and Bungie Foundation and Aerospace probably wouldn't exist).

I think with the engine starting with Halo Reach, and probably more so with Halo4's variant, there's more non-Halo usage potential for the technology (with regards to documentation and code flexibility). Would love to see it used in other games (same thing with the Halo Wars engine...), but I doubt MS would ever do anything non-Halo with it.

Halomods

Message Index

Replies:

Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo Enginenillapuddin 9/9/12 7:26 p.m.
     Re: Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo EnginePhoenix_9286 9/9/12 8:01 p.m.
     Re: Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo Engineuberfoop 9/9/12 8:11 p.m.
           ...nillapuddin 9/9/12 8:29 p.m.
                 Re: ...uberfoop 9/9/12 8:50 p.m.
                       Re: ...nillapuddin 9/9/12 8:57 p.m.
                             Re: ...kanbo 9/9/12 9:24 p.m.
                                   I need to rephrase my query, sorry guys, hows thisnillapuddin 9/9/12 10:27 p.m.
                                         Re: I need to rephrase my query, sorry guys, howskanbo 9/10/12 12:48 a.m.
                                               Re: I need to rephrase my query, sorry guys, howsMatt 9/10/12 2:08 a.m.
                                                     Re: I need to rephrase my query, sorry guys, howsJDQuackers 9/10/12 7:41 a.m.
                                                           Re: I need to rephrase my query, sorry guys, howsMatt 9/10/12 12:29 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I need to rephrase my query, sorry guys, howsLouis Wu 9/10/12 12:39 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I need to rephrase my query, sorry guys, howsMatt 9/10/12 12:42 p.m.
                                                                             It's twitter, of course I missed it.Louis Wu 9/10/12 12:43 p.m.
                                                     Stubbes farts on enemies, me like. *NM*Captain Spark 9/10/12 8:20 a.m.
     Re: Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo EngineMatt 9/10/12 2:10 a.m.
     Re: Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo EngineFyreWulff 9/10/12 4:42 a.m.
           Re: Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo Enginekornman00 9/10/12 3:16 p.m.
     Re: Stubbs The Zombie and The Halo Enginestabbim 9/10/12 1:10 p.m.
     Just as long as Aspyr doesn't publish/portkornman00 9/10/12 1:50 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.