Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I wanna be a World Designer!
Posted By: kornman00 <kornman00@gmail.com>Date: 8/16/11 1:04 p.m.

In Response To: I wanna be a World Designer! (RC Master)

I'm pretty sure a Player Investment Designer is more macro than an Economy Designer.

"Do you dream about creating worlds imbued with real value and consequence? Can you find the fine line between a reward that encourages players to have fun and an incentive that enslaves them? Can you devise a way for a player to grow while preserving the delicate balance of an action game? If you answered yes to these questions (and you are a passionate worka-holic game-o-phile) you might want to polish up your resume and apply to be Bungie’s next Player Investment Designer.

A Player Investment Designer develops a robust and rewarding investment path, supported by consistent, rich and secure incentives that drives player behavior toward having fun and investing in their characters, and then validates those systems through intense simulation, testing and iteration. At Bungie, you’ll design mechanics which drive in-game player reward and incentives, give players long-term goals to invest them in the world and their character, prevent by design griefing or exploiting any of the above systems, run simulations of these mechanics based on expected player behavior and test these simulated results against actual player behavior and tuning the live system."

Where an ED designs the actual way "currency" is developed in a game system, a PID would design how actually players would use that "currency", plus designing for various other investment related systems not related to a game's economy (eg, achievements). A PID designs the actual process of making players addicted to playing ;p. Hopefully Bungie's PID comes up with a way to make gamers actually get off their ass every now and then, so their next game doesn't fall victim to addicts like WoW or what-have-you.

"Congrats, you've leveled up to lvl20! You must now go outside for 1 hour before you can start to earn XP again, hth!"

Halomods

Message Index

Replies:

I wanna be a World Designer!RC Master 8/16/11 12:44 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!kornman00 8/16/11 1:04 p.m.
           Re: I wanna be a World Designer!FyreWulff 8/16/11 4:02 p.m.
                 IDK, I've never actually played WoW lol *NM*kornman00 8/16/11 4:49 p.m.
                       If you have to have EXP, or PI, or whateverBeckx 8/16/11 4:56 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!Raaascal 8/16/11 1:06 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!pete_the_duck 8/16/11 2:41 p.m.
     As long as it's nothing like this....Capt Spanish 8/16/11 4:14 p.m.
           Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Beckx 8/16/11 4:17 p.m.
                 Re: As long as it's nothing like this....excowboy83 8/16/11 4:30 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....ncsuDuncan 8/16/11 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....pete_the_duck 8/16/11 4:33 p.m.
                             Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Beckx 8/16/11 4:34 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Beckx 8/16/11 4:33 p.m.
                             Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Capt Spanish 8/16/11 5:36 p.m.
                       Re: As long as it's nothing like this....RC Master 8/16/11 5:44 p.m.
                             Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Phoenix_9286 8/16/11 10:05 p.m.
                                   I agree. It wasn't perfect...Leviathan 8/17/11 3:14 a.m.
                                   Re: As long as it's nothing like this....RC Master 8/17/11 6:09 a.m.
                                         Re: As long as it's nothing like this....Archilen 8/17/11 6:40 a.m.
                                               Re: As long as it's nothing like this....excowboy83 8/17/11 12:57 p.m.
     Re: I wanna be a World Designer!dmiller 9/8/11 9:51 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.